Side hustles?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm sure a CVS worker that felt the need to do Incel virtue signaling is an absolute paragon of self actualized mega confidence.
Sigh...Did you not understand these posts were jokes? The absurd $h!t people do for money thanks to the internet

Members don't see this ad.

Sigh...Did you not understand these posts were jokes? The absurd $h!t people do for money thanks to the internet
Oh, is English your second language?
You just came across as someone who was very very bitter about the sexuality of other people. It doesn't look like you're joking about only fans but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Oh, is English your second language?
You just came across as someone who was very very bitter about the sexuality of other people. It doesn't look like you're joking about only fans but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Oh I guess you *can (you know for English professor @CetiAlphaFive wait, do you prefer can not or can't? 🤪 ) not interpret sarcasm and tone without gross over use of emojis because pictures are way easier for reading comprehension?

We like seriously need a universal font for sarcasm

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sure a CVS worker that felt the need to do Incel virtue signaling is an absolute paragon of self actualized mega confidence.

Haha - look at this kid. He has something clever to say about everything. To me - someone who calls his peers a bunch of doormats is likely projecting the shame they feel for being the largest doormat of all.

Yo Ceti - I’ll let you know when we redecorate our porch. My wife uses seasonal doormats but I’m thinking you may actually be an all-purpose year round option.

:p

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Haha - look at this kid. He has something clever to say about everything. To me - someone who calls his peers a bunch of doormats is likely projecting the shame they feel for being the largest doormat of all.

Yo Ceti - I’ll let you know when we redecorate our porch. My wife uses seasonal doormats but I’m thinking you may actually be an all-purpose year round option.

Damn, I need to take some albuterol after that one :rofl:

• Haha
Oh I guess you not interpret sarcasm and tone without gross over use of emojis because pictures are way easier for reading comprehension?

We like seriously need a universal font for sarcasm
"Oh i guess you not"
There's my answer i guess. Lol

"An instructional post by user JustFillIt on how to signal to everyone that you identified strongly with a critical post, that it cut to your core, and that you're BTFO."

Imagine being so salty that you follow someone around from thread to thread desperately trying to get them to notice you hahaha

• Dislike
"An instructional post by user JustFillIt on how to signal to everyone that you identified strongly with a critical post, that it cut to your core, and that you're BTFO."

Imagine being so salty that you follow someone around from thread to thread desperately trying to get them to notice you hahaha

Dude - your like the Dr. Phil of social media. And you end everything with “hahahaha”

What does BTFO mean?

Last edited:
  • Haha
"Oh i guess you not"
There's my answer i guess. Lol
Dear Grammar constable Petty Betty,
I like totally appreciate you looking out for everyone on these threads occasionally omitting a word despite everyone else still understanding the post. Your dedication to the mastery of the English language is astounding considering these are social threads and not professional documents or articles for publication. Not everyone has that level of dedication for measly social media thread posts

Sincerely,
Your #1 English student
P.S. it just warms my little heart that my English professor cares so much & gives me so much attention on my occasional mishaps

Sarcasm > 9,000

Dear Grammar constable Petty Betty,
I like totally appreciate you looking out for everyone on these threads occasionally omitting a word despite everyone else still understanding the post. Your dedication to the mastery of the English language is astounding considering these are social threads and not professional documents or articles for publication. Not everyone has that level of dedication for measly social media thread posts

Sincerely,
Your #1 English student
P.S. it just warms my little heart that my English professor cares so much & gives me so much attention on my occasional mishaps

Sarcasm > 9,000
I didn't read your reply. Cheers

I didn't read your reply. Cheers
Professor, I did not think you were this petty

I just bought my 3rd house and with another kid on the way money will be tight. Earning extra cash on my days off my doing Uber eats, Doordash and showing houses(I have a real estate license). Anyone know other gigs with good flexibility and allow me to work anytime I want? I don't like to Uber. Trying to avoid human contact as much as possible on my days off.

I just bought my 3rd house and with another kid on the way money will be tight. Earning extra cash on my days off my doing Uber eats, Doordash and showing houses(I have a real estate license). Anyone know other gigs with good flexibility and allow me to work anytime I want? I don't like to Uber. Trying to avoid human contact as much as possible on my days off.
Do you even make money with uber ?

• Hmm
Members don't see this ad :)
This is easy. Sell two of your houses and actually enjoy your days off.

I find freelance writing to be enjoyable and surprisingly profitable personally. So that’s another idea.

Reactions: 2 users
This is easy. Sell two of your houses and actually enjoy your days off.

I find freelance writing to be enjoyable and surprisingly profitable personally. So that’s another idea.
Not selling any house. With the amount of out of staters moving into FL, there won't be any land left. The properties I hold will be worth millions in 15 years.

Not selling any house. With the amount of out of staters moving into FL, there won't be any land left. The properties I hold will be worth millions in 15 years.
And in the mean time you are spending all your time working. Will those millions even make a difference to your life in 15 years?

To each their own. Just don’t sell when rates go up and property values go down. :)

Reactions: 3 users
And in the mean time you are spending all your time working. Will those millions even make a difference to your life in 15 years?

To each their own. Just don’t sell when rates go up and property values go down. :)
If rates go up I benefit as a homeowner because these are rental properties. Rates go up, people less willing to buy houses so demand for rental goes up.

If rates go up I benefit as a homeowner because these are rental properties. Rates go up, people less willing to buy houses so demand for rental goes up.
Wait these are rental properties but you need a side gig to afford them? Shouldn’t the rents pay for them to buy you more time with your family?

Amazon warehouse pays $23. Might as well go FT and work your way up to $45+. Also consider In-n-Out burgers.

Wait these are rental properties but you need a side gig to afford them? Shouldn’t the rents pay for them to buy you more time with your family?
Not yet until rentals are paid off, which is 10 more years. Right now rent is only netting me $600 monthly per house after mortgage/tax etc. I created my budget to allocate almost all of my rph salary ($170k) into savings, 401k, mutual funds and company stock and setting $3,000 monthly aside to buy land/houses. Strictly living off side gigs, rental net income and wife's 35k annual salary.

How much do you make from Uber eats and door dash? Can't you just pick up extra hours at work or get a per diem? I can see it as a side hustle for techs, but not pharmacists.

How much do you make from Uber eats and door dash? Can't you just pick up extra hours at work or get a per diem? I can see it as a side hustle for techs, but not pharmacists.

This is true - but I get it. I have actually done it a few times myself out of sheer curiosity. I signed up for door dash during the pandemic phase.

Honestly - I wanted some brainless work that I could do which would earn me a few thousand for a rouge medical bill that came in. Sometimes it is a lot to find a 2nd job as a pharmacist and only give them temporary commitment.

I even considered working as a boba barista for a few weeks in the evening. I have reached a point where I can only handle so much stress anymore and extra work as a pharmacist just does not seem appealing to me.

So I delivered Chinese food to overspending Americans all over my city for a few weeks then walked away. It was fun I guess. Maybe I’ll do it again tomorrow.

I earned about $70-80 for 6 hours of delivery. As a manager of a busy retail pharmacy I need mental break. On my days off I try to earn extra cash doing anything as far away as possible from pharmacy. My brain is too exhausted for me to pick up extra rph shifts.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I referee various adult league sports (comes out to $40 ish an hour, just not very many hours). Hoping one day I'll tear my ACL doing it and got a nice paid LOA.

I earned about $70-80 for 6 hours of delivery. As a manager of a busy retail pharmacy I need mental break. On my days off I try to earn extra cash doing anything as far away as possible from pharmacy. My brain is too exhausted for me to pick up extra rph shifts.

That's cool. I used to buy stuff on sale and resell on eBay when I was a poor student. I was probably able to make around that much but maybe in less time. It's harder to do now cause everyone is on Slickdeals and YouTubers tell you how to get good deals.

One of my guilty pleasures is watching resellers go to yard sales on YouTube. Lots of channels where people pick and resell. When I become an empty nester I'll probably do that for fun.

so I am looking to cut back my hours - I would love something that I could do in my free time (I set the hours and work when needed) - so I could make up some of the lost income if I felt I needed. Trying to get prn on some IRB's - anyone ever have luck doing that?

Baseball umpire?
Hockey referee mostly (played growing up), but also dabble in Lacrosse. I used to umpire baseball when I was in Jr. High and the parents standing directly behind home plate were ruthless if they felt I made a wrong call. At least in hockey, I can tell them to sit down and shut up and then skate away.

I currently make $74/hr as rxm. My side hustle is considered variable income, but so far this year it's netting me $82/hr with an EV of high 70s/hr with a small sample size.

At what point would you guys think about quitting or switching to part-time (if I were to go part-time, probably apply at a hospital)? How would you factor in 401k, HSA, healthcare into this?

Some factors to consider: I still have 200k (paid off 100k) in student loans, have ~20% down ready and waiting patiently to jump on the right house in this crazy market, have a kid and planning on a second one.

Initial thoughts would be to have 6-9 month emergency fund and kiss retail pharmacy goodbye from there.

I currently make $74/hr as rxm. My side hustle is considered variable income, but so far this year it's netting me $82/hr with an EV of high 70s/hr with a small sample size.

At what point would you guys think about quitting or switching to part-time (if I were to go part-time, probably apply at a hospital)? How would you factor in 401k, HSA, healthcare into this?

Some factors to consider: I still have 200k (paid off 100k) in student loans, have ~20% down ready and waiting patiently to jump on the right house in this crazy market, have a kid and planning on a second one.

Initial thoughts would be to have 6-9 month emergency fund and kiss retail pharmacy goodbye from there.

I personally wouldn't give up benefits until my student loans and mortgage were paid off.

What’s your side hustle?

So literal gambling.

If that's your side hustle, I personally wouldn't even be thinking about quitting/switching to part-time until you had either already have another full-time job lined up or you're already set for retirement.

So literal gambling.

If that's your side hustle, I personally wouldn't even be thinking about quitting/switching to part-time until you had either already have another full-time job lined up or you're already set for retirement.

Figured some uneducated ignorant reply would come up. You probably equate this to roulette lol.

Obviously I’ve had a good enough sample size with decent results to even think about it. You think I had one good day and decided to moon shot?

Figured some uneducated ignorant reply would come up. You probably equate this to roulette lol.

Obviously I’ve had a good enough sample size with decent results to even think about it. You think I had one good day and decided to moon shot?
it's netting me $82/hr with an EV of high 70s/hr with a small sample size.

First you say you had a small sample size, then respond after the fact that it was a good enough sample size.

Secondly, you should cool down. You're the one who asked for advice on the forum, and when you got an answer you didn't like, you respond calling me an uneducated ignorant despite the fact that what I said remains true. Whether you think I equate it to roulette is you projecting your insecurity.

Regardless of the side hustle, even if it was a guaranteed/more legitimate side hustle, my advice would remain the same for that earning rate.

What's your win rate in BB/hr? Do you play live or online? I played a lot back in undergrad, miss those days.

I remember everyone thought they would get rich playing poker. Just like how everyone thinks they'll get rich from stocks, options, and crypto in the past few years.

First you say you had a small sample size, then respond after the fact that it was a good enough sample size.

Secondly, you should cool down. You're the one who asked for advice on the forum, and when you got an answer you didn't like, you respond calling me an uneducated ignorant despite the fact that what I said remains true. Whether you think I equate it to roulette is you projecting your insecurity.

Regardless of the side hustle, even if it was a guaranteed/more legitimate side hustle, my advice would remain the same for that earning rate.

Alright I misstated that first post.

Small sample size in the limits where I could seriously consider quitting cause the ceiling is higher. Winner over reasonable sample size over lower limits, albeit limits where professionals still make 100k/yr+.

I’m calm. Your answer gave off the wrong vibe for an already taboo kind of thing. What makes it any less legitimate? Is it gambling? Sure. But it’s no different than investing. I’d also argue when done right can earn you more.

If your advice remains the same, what factors would drive you over that hump?

What's your win rate in BB/hr? Do you play live or online? I played a lot back in undergrad, miss those days.

I remember everyone thought they would get rich playing poker. Just like how everyone thinks they'll get rich from stocks, options, and crypto in the past few years.

99% online. Live too slow and you don’t get nearly enough hands in.

Depends on the stake, but ranging in 10bb-15ev bb/100 hands.

99% online. Live too slow and you don’t get nearly enough hands in.

Depends on the stake, but ranging in 10bb-15ev bb/100 hands.

Quick Google search shows:
1 – 4 bb/100 = Great. A solid winrate if you can sustain it.
5 – 9 bb/100 = Amazing. This is a very high winrate at any level. Consider moving up.
10+ bb/100 = Immense. Very, very few have a winrate like this. You probably have a small sample size though.

So you get 10-15bb/100 on average? That seems pretty far fetched considering 10bb/100 is considered crushing the game. You must be a top 1% player in the world then, why not go pro?

Isn't that what this thread is about? He is considering going pro, right?

Well yeah. But 10bb/100 is pretty rare. If he is really getting 15bb/100 then he must be WSOP bracelet winner material.

Well yeah. But 10bb/100 is pretty rare. If he is really getting 15bb/100 then he must be WSOP bracelet winner material.
I get you. ;)

Basically if he was really that good he wouldn’t be asking in the first place.

• Haha
Alright I misstated that first post.

Small sample size in the limits where I could seriously consider quitting cause the ceiling is higher. Winner over reasonable sample size over lower limits, albeit limits where professionals still make 100k/yr+.

I’m calm. Your answer gave off the wrong vibe for an already taboo kind of thing. What makes it any less legitimate? Is it gambling? Sure. But it’s no different than investing. I’d also argue when done right can earn you more.

If your advice remains the same, what factors would drive you over that hump?

I should've stated stable instead of legitimate to be more in line with my beliefs.

I consider gambling in the same vein as investing/crypto/real estate with the primary difference being level of risk/reward. But the difference in your situation is that, generally speaking, people usually use those as a vehicle for income already earned from a primary occupation.

When it becomes a primary source of income, you're now depending on it for your current bills and necessities. That means needing enough money survive through any "dips/crashes", so you need more emergency savings that a normal person would.

In addition to that, you're also having to cover all the benefits you mentioned before (PTO, insurance, retirement accounts, ect). Even at 82/hr over 74/hr, I think your benefits will probably be worth more overall.

I agree with mentos that if I were in your situation, I would wait until the loans/mortgage were paid off as well as until you saved at least 1 year's worth of emergency savings (I recommend 6 months for normal occupations) before going down to part-time.

But I can't put a price on the improved quality of life; only you can answer that.

How many hours are you putting into poker? I just know that the longer you play, the more exhausting it is. I used to grind for 8-12 hours per day back when I was 21. I couldn't do that anymore now that I'm older. The longer you play, the more mistakes you make. And we all know that one mistake in poker can cost you a lot. Also have you had long periods of losses? We all know that you can't consistently win all the time, there will be bad periods where you'll be drawing rags or getting bad beat and losing money no matter how well you play.

It was always my dream to become Michael McDermott.

Quick Google search shows:
1 – 4 bb/100 = Great. A solid winrate if you can sustain it.
5 – 9 bb/100 = Amazing. This is a very high winrate at any level. Consider moving up.
10+ bb/100 = Immense. Very, very few have a winrate like this. You probably have a small sample size though.

So you get 10-15bb/100 on average? That seems pretty far fetched considering 10bb/100 is considered crushing the game. You must be a top 1% player in the world then, why not go pro?

Mostly true.

A couple factors for this:

1) I'm obviously in the US and play in a relatively soft pool, if I were in a ROW pool my WR would likely be significantly lower.
2) These WR would probably get smaller as I jump to higher stakes. But yes I know guys who have higher WR than me and achieve 10+bb/100 WR at high stakes, so it's not impossible and not at all that far-fetched.
3) Definitely could be sample, as you would need a few million hands to really get an accurate picture. My total hands played in this sample is 300k which is decent. Recently, I've only averaged 10k-20k hands per month.
4) I understand the skepticism, but it's not like this is all self-taught. I've invested time / money and surrounded myself for a time with arguably some of the best in the world to coach me to get ahead of the learning curve. Take that for what it's worth.

I am not even close to 1%, but I am for sure not the bottom 90% of losing players. So, somewhere in between. And no, I wouldn't be WSOP bracelet material because that pertains to tourneys. I don't play tourneys. I suck at mid- to short-stacked play. In addition, they're too much of a time commitment and the variance there is greater than cash games. That's why I play cash games, considered to be somewhat more stable.

I should've stated stable instead of legitimate to be more in line with my beliefs.

I consider gambling in the same vein as investing/crypto/real estate with the primary difference being level of risk/reward. But the difference in your situation is that, generally speaking, people usually use those as a vehicle for income already earned from a primary occupation.

When it becomes a primary source of income, you're now depending on it for your current bills and necessities. That means needing enough money survive through any "dips/crashes", so you need more emergency savings that a normal person would.

In addition to that, you're also having to cover all the benefits you mentioned before (PTO, insurance, retirement accounts, ect). Even at 82/hr over 74/hr, I think your benefits will probably be worth more overall.

I agree with mentos that if I were in your situation, I would wait until the loans/mortgage were paid off as well as until you saved at least 1 year's worth of emergency savings (I recommend 6 months for normal occupations) before going down to part-time.

But I can't put a price on the improved quality of life; only you can answer that.
Fair points :thumbup:

How many hours are you putting into poker? I just know that the longer you play, the more exhausting it is. I used to grind for 8-12 hours per day back when I was 21. I couldn't do that anymore now that I'm older. The longer you play, the more mistakes you make. And we all know that one mistake in poker can cost you a lot. Also have you had long periods of losses? We all know that you can't consistently win all the time, there will be bad periods where you'll be drawing rags or getting bad beat and losing money no matter how well you play.

It was always my dream to become Michael McDermott.
Not as much as I'd like to. Currently ~10hrs a week, mostly on the weekend. Review some material for 15m-30m, meditate beforehand to play a bit sharper.

Like you said there's an optimal level of play / focus for everyone and you have to find your personal way to minimize the mental lapses to minimize your losses. I like to play 1-1.5hr max and take a 15 minute mental break in between sessions to help with tilt. I've gotten better at quitting a session early if my focus isn't there (notice myself looking at my phone more, browsing, etc.).

Downswings are real. You can play a winning strategy and still lose. The cure to this is more quality volume and a bigger sample size, which is hard when you're in the thick of it. My worst so far is a 25 buy-in downswing over a 4 period month. There was probably a lot of tilt in there too and questioning if I really was a winning player. That was a couple years ago at relatively lower stakes, but it still took a good chunk of my bankroll. (I have my poker bankroll separate from my life roll, so I still felt the sting as I wanted to succeed and didn't want to continue if I was a losing player). It was important to have a circle of poker friends review your play and let you know you weren't doing anything outlandish.