General Should I take an extra science class to boost by sGPA by 0.02?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Due to some major mistakes made during my freshman and sophomore years (including one F) that arose from a bullying situation, my sGPA right now is a 3.31 and my cumulative is 3.60. (Both GPAs would be higher if I counted A+s, but I just converted them all to As for these numbers.) I learned from my mistakes, and since then I have a huge upward trend, with all As throughout my junior, senior, and postbac year. I know I have some repair work left to do, so I'm entering the BU MAMS SMP next year. I haven't taken the MCAT yet, but I'm actively studying and shooting for 518+ - I test really well and think I can get there.

I have the opportunity to take a class this summer that would ultimately boost my cumulative to 3.61 and my sGPA to 3.33. That is a 0.02 sGPA delta. I will also be finishing a lab project (ideally with a publication), so I would like to conserve the rest of my time to study intensely for the MCAT. Do you think I should take that class to boost my sGPA to the highest I can get before my SMP / will that 3.33 vs 3.31 be significant to admissions officers? Or is it not worth it?

Thank you in advance for any guidance :)
Answer is no for a GPA raise. A 3.33 = 3.3

But showing the you of now is not the you of then IS the point.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you so much, @Goro ! However, one quick follow-up: the class will be a 1000s level astronomy class (I've exhausted all other summer courses available at my university that could count for BCPM). Would that change your opinion that I should take it?

I was also offered the chance to TA the lecture class that I originally got an F in over the summer (Organic Chemistry I). (I have since retaken that class and taken other more advanced chem/biochem classes and gotten As and A+s.) I have TA'd for the last 2 semesters in two other classes (Orgo Lab and a psych course), so this will not be a new experience, however this will be a much larger role/responsibility. I love teaching and would love to TA this lecture class, but it may conflict with the astronomy class I was considering taking. Which option (taking the astronomy class, even though it won't change my BCPM gpa, or TA'ing the lecture class I got an F in originally, although I've TA'd other classes before) would hold more weight and be more reflective of how I've changed/the current me?
Right now your priority is reinventing your GPA. TA'ing will not hold more weight....you need to prove that you can handle med school, not teach.

Status
Not open for further replies.