General Should I stay or Should I go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I was accepted into a SMP and I have not been able to move up into the program because of the costs. It is the Drexel Masters in Biomedical Studies SMP, and I am still undecided due to the cost (64K in loans) and I do not have money to make the transition outside of the loans. Are there any tips, guidance, or advice you would provide to me? I really am glad I have the opportunity to be able to go up there, but I feel like I do not have the means to make it there by myself. My GPA is 2.9 w/ 2.73 sGPA, so it was nothing short of a miracle that I was accepted...
Special Master's programs are a dime a dozen. You could do the same thing in terms of Reinventing Yourself by doing a post-bac DYI.

If you turn this acceptance down it's unlikely that you will get blacklisted by any other program , so you could apply again .

Work for a few years save up some money and then apply again in the future.

You in a marathon now, not a Sprint and medical schools are not going anywhere.

In fact, by the time you apply more will have open their doors

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations. I think that you have a tough decision. I don't think a DIY postbac is going to help you with that low an undergraduate GPA. The question is whether you think now is the time to invest in yourself to take the loans on to prepare a stronger med school profile in a couple of years or not. Sure, you may not have the money now, but then you also wouldn't have the money had you started med school in the fall either. I'd definitely say consider a gap year, or at least see if Drexel would give you a deferral to next year when you can start. But I think in the end, it's going to be up to you. I doubt you'll have enough money to pay for an SMP, much less medical school tuition, after working for just a year or two. I otherwise agree: medical school will still be there no matter how long it takes, but I will also say there is such a thing as getting too far removed from the rigor of day-to-day coursework when transitioning to medical school.

Status
Not open for further replies.