Should I retake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mg2486

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

Im planning on applying to pharm schools (right now Im looking at UT Austin, CU Denver and UNM). I took my PCAT last summer and scored 70th percentile. My GPA is at a 3.85 and my CV is looking good at this point. I'd much rather invest money into getting a pharm tech certification. I've talked to a lot of friends who applied this past cycle and have told me not to, but I'd like more opinions. On a related note, does anyone know if there's any way of getting the fee waived? That would help out a lot!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Are your options to retake the PCAT or work as a pharmacy tech? A benefit to working for a pharmacy tech is that it's a paid position (and that pharmacy experience is what a lot of programs look for). You have great credentials, though if does depend somewhat on what your goals are if you're very selective about where you want to go to school. Otherwise a 70th percentile PCAT and 3.85 GPA would make you a strong applicant for many pharmacy programs.

I'm not aware of a PCAT fee waiver, but there is a PharmCAS you can apply for through the PharmCAS website. Good luck! :)

Hi all!

Im planning on applying to pharm schools (right now Im looking at UT Austin, CU Denver and UNM). I took my PCAT last summer and scored 70th percentile. My GPA is at a 3.85 and my CV is looking good at this point. I'd much rather invest money into getting a pharm tech certification. I've talked to a lot of friends who applied this past cycle and have told me not to, but I'd like more opinions. On a related note, does anyone know if there's any way of getting the fee waived? That would help out a lot!

Thanks!
Do the pharm tech certification and get experience. It'll give you a good idea of what retail (or hospital if that's where you end up working) pharmacy is like so you don't you know whether you like the environment or not and it'll help you avoid any surprises when you get out of pharmacy school...