Should I retake the DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nibzster

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
yes

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Great GPA and RC score but I'm afraid that OC score is going to severely diminish your chances. It is probably below most schools cutoffs. You'll definitely need a retake/to take the Canadian DAT.

You should only take the DAT when you feel totally prepared!

As for what score they look at, it totally depends on the school.

Reactions: 1 user
I second what @DMikes has said above. When retaking the DAT, maybe rework your study materials. I highly recommend integrating DAT destroyer and DAT bootcamp into your studying. They were the main reason i got a 23 AA 21 TS and a 24 PAT. Spend the time to go the through the DAT destroyer book at least twice and really try to understand the concepts rather than just running through the problems. The time you spend here will allow you to cut through the DAT science section like butter. Also, take your practice tests under realistic conditions so you know whether you're ready or not and to get accurate scores (no notes, eat breakfast, turn off phone etc.) good luck! i know you can do this!

Thank you guys for the suggestions! I used datbootcamp and loved how similar it was to the real thing, but I do wish it was more challenging to teach me more. I used the Kaplan book as my core study material and read it to cover to cover, which imo, was my greatest downfall. It essentially was missing a lot of the materials that I needed to learn or it focused on the unimportant ones, what do you guys recommend for my core study material for my next DAT? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, that's all you used? The following should be the bare minimum, imo.

Bio: Cliff's AP Bio and Feralis should be mandatory for biology since it is just such a broad topic.
Gen Chem: Chad's Videos and Destroyer (Gen Chem Destroyer if you need alot of practice)
OChem: Chad's Videos and Destroyer (OChem Destroyer if you need alot of practice)
RC: Just read passages, short stories, and the occasional scholarly article
PAT: YT videos and Bootcamp

Wow, that's all you used? The following should be the bare minimum, imo.

Bio: Cliff's AP Bio and Feralis should be mandatory for biology since it is just such a broad topic.
Gen Chem: Chad's Videos and Destroyer (Gen Chem Destroyer if you need alot of practice)
OChem: Chad's Videos and Destroyer (OChem Destroyer if you need alot of practice)
RC: Just read passages, short stories, and the occasional scholarly article
PAT: YT videos and Bootcamp
i posted twice and recommended he/she use bootcamp and destroyer lol. but to get the core subjects down -> cliffs, chads videos, and i forgot: feral is notes!

Hey guys thanks for all the help! I forgot to mention that I used Chad's videos for Gen chem, QR and Orgo, though I skipped a lot of "the basics" topics as I was cramming last minute. I only used feralis notes on bio topics I was very unsure of - It scared me how even though they were just review notes, they actually had a lot more info than the kaplan. For PAT is used the princeton book which was extremely easy and essentially useless, I did not study for reading comprehension at all. I just praceticed twice just to see the format, as you can tell, I am good at reading comp. lol

Hey guys thanks for all the help! I forgot to mention that I used Chad's videos for Gen chem, QR and Orgo, though I skipped a lot of "the basics" topics as I was cramming last minute. I only used feralis notes on bio topics I was very unsure of - It scared me how even though they were just review notes, they actually had a lot more info than the kaplan. For PAT is used the princeton book which was extremely easy and essentially useless, I did not study for reading comprehension at all. I just praceticed twice just to see the format, as you can tell, I am good at reading comp. lol
Yeah dont worry too much about RC. Just use the practice exams for that. As for the other stuff please go all out! Especially SNS >: O!