Should I retake a class?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hoosier1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if i should retake a general biology course I got a "c-" in during my freshman yr. I'm thinking about retaking it over the summer. My school replaces the old grade with the new one but I'm not sure if it is worth retaking it over. Should I retake this class (which I could possible get an A or B in) or take a non-prereq course that I would get an "A" in? I would like our opinion please :)

Members don't see this ad.

If you can, then sure why not?...especially if you think you can get an "A" the second time around. Remember, that bio class will boost your pre-req gpa, AND your overall gpa. If you'll have enough credits to graduate on time after retaking, then I think it's a good idea. You're lucky...my school doesn't allow retakes for anything above a "D+", so take advantage.

You should retake. Most optometry schools will not take a grade lower than a C for a pre-req, so a C- is not going to cut it. Not all schools require general biology as a pre-req, but some do. So, you would not be able to apply to those school if you have a C-.

hoosier1 said:
I was wondering if i should retake a general biology course I got a "c-" in during my freshman yr. I'm thinking about retaking it over the summer. My school replaces the old grade with the new one but I'm not sure if it is worth retaking it over. Should I retake this class (which I could possible get an A or B in) or take a non-prereq course that I would get an "A" in? I would like our opinion please :)

pre-O.D. said:
You should retake. Most optometry schools will not take a grade lower than a C for a pre-req, so a C- is not going to cut it. Not all schools require general biology as a pre-req, but some do. So, you would not be able to apply to those school if you have a C-.

That's right, I forgot about that. In that case, you should definitely retake the course. Unless you take an upper division bio course... I believe most schools will take the UD bio as the bio pre-req.