Should I reconsider careers??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Madhatter

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am a reapplicant for the 2005 cycle, and I was just reviewing my 2004 AMCAS to see where i went wrong. My Mcat scores were: 10V/10P/11B O which aren't bad, but my GPA was only a 3.5. I think that I can raise my GPA to a 3.58 for 2005, but other than that there aren't really any changes that I can make to my application. I have a lot of teaching experience but not much clinical. Looking back at my personal statement it seems kind of boring, is anyone willing to look at it and give me suggestions? Should I just re-write the whole thing? Also, i got rejected pretty late in the cycle, is that a good thing? Will my GPA hinder my chances a second time around?

Any feedback will be really appreciated! :D

Members don't see this ad.

No need to reconsider careers, your numbers look fine. Looks like you are you definitely looking into the right spots that could have caused you trouble, i.e. Personal statement and clinical experience. Try to look into gaining clinical experience if you can-- this will definitely show adcoms your drive for the medical setting.

You can PM me your Personal statement if you'd like. My scores are fine/average I guess, 3.5 overall (although when I applied, it was a 3.4), 3.3 barely science (this is a bit on the low end), 33 MCAT, but I got interviews at some awesome schools because of my personal statement. I really believe that the PS can open a whole range of schools that would totally overlook an applicant cuz of numbers.

So if you need any help, let me know! Good luck!

What about me? I have 39 MCAT, but only 3.89. Should I wait until it goes up to 3.9 before applying?

Members don't see this ad :)
scrupulous79 said:
What about me? I have 39 MCAT, but only 3.89. Should I wait until it goes up to 3.9 before applying?

Yes, you should... better chance. :D :D

Madhatter said:
Hi everyone! I am a reapplicant for the 2005 cycle, and I was just reviewing my 2004 AMCAS to see where i went wrong. My Mcat scores were: 10V/10P/11B O which aren't bad, but my GPA was only a 3.5. I think that I can raise my GPA to a 3.58 for 2005, but other than that there aren't really any changes that I can make to my application. I have a lot of teaching experience but not much clinical. Looking back at my personal statement it seems kind of boring, is anyone willing to look at it and give me suggestions? Should I just re-write the whole thing? Also, i got rejected pretty late in the cycle, is that a good thing? Will my GPA hinder my chances a second time around?

Any feedback will be really appreciated! :D

insecure much? +pity+

Cowboy DO said:
insecure much? +pity+

I don't think he is being insecure since he did get rejected last year.

To the OP: Another thing you may want to look at is what schools you applied to. A guy at my school had about the same stats as you and applied to all top 10 schools and is now bumming because he got rejected from all of them. He probably would have gotten in if he would have applied to some safer bet schools.

Oh come on. Like you implied, the most likely reason this person didn?t get in is because he didn?t apply to more schools, or maybe he applied late. Either way, it?s not a problem with his self-proclaimed mediocre GPA, sure not the greatest but with out a doubt it?s good enough. I have little to no sympathy for people like this who will get in, but still seek the reassurance from others on an anonymous web board because they have no confidence in themselves (ie. insecure).

Sorry to the OP, I?m not usually so harsh but I wanted to explain myself and honestly I?m in a bad mood. Dude, you?ll get in just apply early and to a lot of schools.

Cowboy DO said:
Oh come on. Like you implied, the most likely reason this person didn?t get in is because he didn?t apply to more schools, or maybe he applied late. Either way, it?s not a problem with his self-proclaimed mediocre GPA, sure not the greatest but with out a doubt it?s good enough. I have little to no sympathy for people like this who will get in, but still seek the reassurance from others on an anonymous web board because they have no confidence in themselves (ie. insecure).

Sorry to the OP, I?m not usually so harsh but I wanted to explain myself and honestly I?m in a bad mood. Dude, you?ll get in just apply early and to a lot of schools.

well cowboy, that's what he's asking..what can he do to make sure he gets in this time? your suggestions are apply early and to a broad range of schools....my suggestion to add to that would be to go volunteer somewhere now....and on into the next app cycle...and rewrite his PS if he feels it's not that great....

thanks for all your replies...the suggestions were really helpful...btw, i wasn't asking b/c i am insecure (altho getting rejected does tend to hurt your ego a little), but b/c i am genuinely worried about my chances as a reapplicant. I didn't apply to many schools, which was probably a big mistake, but i wanted to stay in the area for family reasons so i was a bit restricted in my choices of schools. I dont really know what else to do to improve my application. I was thinking about volunteering in africa for a couple of weeks - is this too little time, and will it really have any benefit to volunteer there, than the US? :oops:

Are you serious :confused: ....chill out...you'll get in