Should I Negotiate Tuition/ Scholarships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jacknic

Reaction score
I have been accepted into three different medical schools, and one in particular stands out to me as my top choice out of the three. I was considering withdrawing from the other two so that other people on the waitlist could get accepted, but I read that I should keep my options open to try and negotiate scholarships.

All three of these schools are close together in terms of US news rankings. However, all three have average GPAs and MCATs well above my stats. I was actually completely surprised to be accepted to these schools and it almost feels like I’m in a wonderful dream that I’ll wake up from soon.

My concern is that if I start trying to negotiate scholarships with the schools and let on that I am considering other options, that they will rescinded the offer given that I was likely barley accepted and I’m very much replaceable. I’m not even low SES so I wouldn’t be eligible for any need based grants. What do you all think?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Submit the FAFSA. Wait to see what the schools will offer. Decide after you see the financial aid offers.

Believe me when I tell you that no one is getting off the waitlist because you gave up your seat. Most schools make 100 offers (or more) beyond their capacity so many, many people have to turn them down before even one person gets off the waitlist.

No one with an offer in October just squeaked by. Don't get impostor syndrome -- know that you were interviewed and admitted (to three schools) because the schools see something in you that they want in their class.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
It is a lot of effort to unaccept a student. Nobody is going to get overly miffed that you're trying to get the best deal for yourself, just as they are trying to fill their class with the highest caliber of students possible. The worst that can happen is that they say they can't match the offer from another school.

Submit FAFSA, then sit on your acceptances until you have full information on what attending any of these schools would entail. You have spent many years creating a strong application that has yielded multiple acceptances, and now it is time to reap the rewards of your hard work. Congrats.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Sure, you can negotiate. Is there big difference in COA between three schools? My kid was able to negotiate last cycle.