Should I inform schools I am retaking mcat in January?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smartwater9698

Reaction score
This cycle I only applied to DO schools (around 27+) and so far only received one II (from ICOM). My GPA (3.5/3.3) and ECs are fine but my MCAT (499) is one below 500.

I will retake on January 25. Is it wise to inform schools that I am retaking? or will it delay a potential interview invite from a school?

Members don't see this ad.

This cycle I only applied to DO schools (around 27+) and so far only received one II (from ICOM). My GPA (3.5/3.3) and ECs are fine but my MCAT (499) is one below 500.

I will retake on January 25. Is it wise to inform schools that I am retaking? or will it delay a potential interview invite from a school?
It's unlikely they'll hold your app to wait for the new score. They already have plenty of applicants.

Your complete file will likely be looked at with the 499. Telling them they are getting new scores makes no difference. Some will say they are retaking and not follow through. When the new scores are received in February they may take another look but it will depend on how good the new scores may be and if they need more interviews to be scheduled.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

THank you SO MUCH for telling us that 499 is one less than 500. you should go to Yale

It is risky in my opinion. Then again anyone could say they will retake but that does NOT guarantee they will receive a higher, lower, or equal score. What you could do is perhaps contact the admission directors about this question for the schools and see what they think about it. They might give you alternative way of indicating you are not giving up and willing to try again. One question though.... how are you scoring now on your practice exams?

It is risky in my opinion. Then again anyone could say they will retake but that does NOT guarantee they will receive a higher, lower, or equal score. What you could do is perhaps contact the admission directors about this question for the schools and see what they think about it. They might give you alternative way of indicating you are not giving up and willing to try again. One question though.... how are you scoring now on your practice exams?
so far halfway through Kaplan. I'm going to take first practice test this saturday so we will see.

so far halfway through Kaplan. I'm going to take first practice test this saturday so we will see.
Ok, so what you can do if you start doing better is keeping tabs of changes you made this time around in terms of preparation. As I mentioned before, its a 50/50 shot, if you tell them you will be taking the MCAT again. They might extend the interview early on or wait until your new score comes out.