Should I go for perio or OMFS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

periowannabe2

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
I don't want to start a perio versus OMFS thread, but I've been debating whether to go into perio or OMFS for awhile now.

A little background: I graduated from dental school in 2004 and recently finished a GPR in NY State. I decided to do a GPR because I couldn't decide what to do after graduation, and more clinical experience seemed to fit me well.

My Stats:

NBDE Part 1: 95, Part 2: 90
Class Rank: 10/100
GPA: 3.7

Here's my dilemma - I've been exposed to tons of OMFS during my GPS (we spend 2 months on the OMFS service) and also did some perio work and, to be honest, I've loved them both. I'd like to hear from both perio and OMFS residents regarding whether they had similar difficulties making a choice between these two related specialties and why they chose their respective field.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

If I were you and liked each specialty equally I'd do perio because it's half the time in residency and half the hours per week while in residency. However, I hate scaling and thus could never do perio.

Yeah, as much as omfs residents on this forum hate to hear it, it is a tough choice. There are things that I don't like in each field (yes, sc/rp is one of them) but overall perio is more focused on what I do like. I wavered for ~3 years and finally settled on perio.

I was also exposed to OMFS in dental school as I did a 3 month internship in our dept and I loved it. But as I got more experience I realized that what I really loved was dento-alveolar surgery. I really wasn't interested in the cranio-facial or trauma cases. Once I realized this, it was an easy decision. No, I don't love everything in perio but I know that I can use it for better use to do what I want, which is to be mostly implant-related. I don't see the point of spending so much time on maxillo-facial sx only to focus on 3rd molars and implants in private practice which is what 90% of OMFS guys do. That's me, it doesn't mean others feel the same way.

Now please don't let this turn into another pissing match.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
ip said:
Yeah, as much as omfs residents on this forum hate to hear it, it is a tough choice. There are things that I don't like in each field (yes, sc/rp is one of them) but overall perio is more focused on what I do like. I wavered for ~3 years and finally settled on perio.

I was also exposed to OMFS in dental school as I did a 3 month internship in our dept and I loved it. But as I got more experience I realized that what I really loved was dento-alveolar surgery. I really wasn't interested in the cranio-facial or trauma cases. Once I realized this, it was an easy decision. No, I don't love everything in perio but I know that I can use it for better use to do what I want, which is to be mostly implant-related. I don't see the point of spending so much time on maxillo-facial sx only to focus on 3rd molars and implants in private practice which is what 90% of OMFS guys do. That's me, it doesn't mean others feel the same way.

Now please don't let this turn into another pissing match.

There you go trying flame! JK..... ;)

I tried to convince my classmate, who is now a perio 1st year, to go into OMFS 4 year programs. From what I understand, most perio programs are 3 years. Also, most places do not offer stipend and require tuition!

I told him that for 1 extra year, he could do a lot of what perio can do but also be able to do what all OMFS can do and get paid throughout all 4 years.

Another important thing to consider is which specialty's "bread and butter" procedures do you enjoy more? 3rd molars or pocket reductions? This is good to think about because you'll probably be doing these more than any other procedure.

I never considered Perio because of all the jacka$$ Perio profs at my school. Not very objective, but that's how it ended up for me.

I chose OMS b/c I wanted an MD and I wanted to be able to do anything. Seriously.

periowannabe2 said:
Hi All,
I don't want to start a perio versus OMFS thread, but I've been debating whether to go into perio or OMFS for awhile now.

A little background: I graduated from dental school in 2004 and recently finished a GPR in NY State. I decided to do a GPR because I couldn't decide what to do after graduation, and more clinical experience seemed to fit me well.

My Stats:

NBDE Part 1: 95, Part 2: 90
Class Rank: 10/100
GPA: 3.7

Here's my dilemma - I've been exposed to tons of OMFS during my GPS (we spend 2 months on the OMFS service) and also did some perio work and, to be honest, I've loved them both. I'd like to hear from both perio and OMFS residents regarding whether they had similar difficulties making a choice between these two related specialties and why they chose their respective field.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I chose OMFS because I wanted to be able to handle the complications of my procedures and not have to have someone else come behind me and have to fix problems/complications/mistakes. I wanted to know I could cric or trach a patient if "fit hit the shan". I wanted to know I could intubate just about any patient if they tanked in my office or manage most all medical/pharmacological complications. I wanted to know if I had a sublingual hematoma from placing an implant, I could stop it, explore it and fix it-even in the OR if needed. I wanted to know I could drain a parapharyngeal abscess and take teeth out if needed. I wanted to know how to work up a funky lesion from start to finish and not do something stupid like not take a deep enough biopsy on the floor of the mouth. I wanted to develop those qualities that would give me the confidence if everthing went to "hell in a hand-basket". To gain these qualities, it takes submission to slavery (OMFS residency). It takes exposure to the sickest and most traumatized of patients to build that data base. It takes a personal beating to make your back strong and your mind clear in these situations. It takes the few, the proud, the marines... oh wait... this is sounding like a commercial. At least you know my personal reasons.

Reactions: 1 user
I think everyone is giving you a good idea of the differences between specialties. Perio is more relaxed, especially in the training, than OMFS. For example, my typical day is: wake up around 7 am, go to class for a couple hrs, see a couple patients, go home around 4 pm, work out, and play Playstation/watch TV for the rest of the night. Ask any OMFS resident how much Madden 06’ ® time they are getting :D . I just wanted the more relaxed lifestyle of a periodontist. I know I am not the end of the road in the referral line and I like that. Leave the abscess draining and maxillofacial cancer surgery to those in OMFS and I will be out on the golf course knowing my putting will not be disrupted because I am “on call.”

Periogod said:
I think everyone is giving you a good idea of the differences between specialties. Perio is more relaxed, especially in the training, than OMFS. For example, my typical day is: wake up around 7 am, go to class for a couple hrs, see a couple patients, go home around 4 pm, work out, and play Playstation/watch TV for the rest of the night. Ask any OMFS resident how much Madden 06’ ® time they are getting :D . I just wanted the more relaxed lifestyle of a periodontist. I know I am not the end of the road in the referral line and I like that. Leave the abscess draining and maxillofacial cancer surgery to those in OMFS and I will be out on the golf course knowing my putting will not be disrupted because I am “on call.”

I apologize and will refrain from further contributions on this thread but one last thing I will say. The toughest part of OMFS is the residency. Most private practice OMFS have a reasonable life. Comparing all dental residencies with what their private practice counter parts do and the greatest exageration is in OMFS. Ortho residency life isn't too far off from ortho life when you are done. Perio residency life isn't too far off from from perio practice life. OMFS residency IS far more intense than OMFS life (for the most part). Most dentists/students I talk to like OMFS (what the scope of practice is)and many guys wouldn't mind practicing OMFS, but most would NOT like to do the residency. I think the "rate limiting" step in this reaction is the residency experience. No little enzyme (easy way out) can bring down the energy necessary to get over this hump. Sorry for the biochemistry analogy. Can you tell I've thought long and hard about this process? I am on the back side of this reaction, coming down from the tip of the peak-thank goodness.

Reactions: 1 users
I may be one to bash on periodontists "occasionally", but I have to say that most of the ones I know outside of dental school are pretty bright individuals and good clinicians and they are respected in the community. Regardless whether you chose OMFS or Perio, there is plenty of work to be done out there, plenty of implants to go around, and plenty of the respective "bread and butter" of each specialty that you will do well financially.

For me however, I am in agreement with Esclavo. As an oral surgeon, there is almost nothing that can walk through the door that would scare you or make you're heart stop and cause you to need a change of underwear. That's the type of assurance and training I want. That's what I want when treating friends, family, and complete stranger... I want to be able to do just about anything they would need from a surgical and emergency standpoint.

Sure the hours are hard, demanding, and at times you feel like just quitting this crap so you don't have to put up with the beatings from your attendings... but you just have to keep you're ultimate goal in mind.

You're stats make you competitive for OMFS and for perio, you just have to show up for the interview and you're in.

I agree with what Doggie said. If you're worried about time in residency then do a 4 yr OMFS program. You get the EXACT same training as a 6 yr OMFS program. The only difference is the MD. Now, if you want to do a fellowship after your residency, then you should get the MD. The scope is so much more broader than perio. In OMFS, your scope includes mouth, face, head, neck, TMJ...In Perio, you're limited to the mouth. In private practice, you're bread and butter in perio is crown lengthening and implants. In OMFS, it's thirds and implants. The difference is that in OMFS you have the liberty to chose if you want to go to the OR and do more hospital based surgeries. In perio, you don't have this freedom; you're stuck elevating flaps....removing bone...and scraping calculus. The only thing is you have to bite the bullet and bust your tail in residency for OMFS, but then you can really call yourself a "surgeon".

I personally opted for the MD....because I want be a bada$$ mofo like Doggie :D

Cowboy,

Where are you all going? You going to be coming up to Shreve? We're all in the dark about the N.O. resident's status...

Members don't see this ad :)
OMFSCardsFan said:
Cowboy,

Where are you all going? You going to be coming up to Shreve? We're all in the dark about the N.O. resident's status...

Bro,

I dunno yet....all the faculty is meeting at the end of this week to discuss what they're gonna do. Plan is to temporarily rotate us throughout Louisiana...possibly Baton Rouge, Lafayette, and maybe Shreveport until NO is back on. The thing is all the trauma and idiots shooting each other in the face are still gonna be there ....probably in Baton Rouge now...so there will still be a need for OMFS in Southern Louisiana. This is all speculation....we'll no more info by next week.

LSU-Cowboy said:
Bro,

I dunno yet....all the faculty is meeting at the end of this week to discuss what they're gonna do. Plan is to temporarily rotate us throughout Louisiana...possibly Baton Rouge, Lafayette, and maybe Shreveport until NO is back on. The thing is all the trauma and idiots shooting each other in the face are still gonna be there ....probably in Baton Rouge now...so there will still be a need for OMFS in Southern Louisiana. This is all speculation....we'll no more info by next week.

You are still in your b!tch (intern) year now right? Why dont they just shuffle the residents without MD's into med school so there are less people to worry about. You should come to my school so we can tear up the entire nightlife scene.

Doggie said:
You are still in your b!tch (intern) year now right? Why dont they just shuffle the residents without MD's into med school so there are less people to worry about. You should come to my school so we can tear up the entire nightlife scene.

That would be awesome. I've never been to Dallas....heard there's a lot of tail over there. I should hear some info from my program in the next few days.

LSU-Cowboy said:
That would be awesome. I've never been to Dallas....heard there's a lot of tail over there. I should hear some info from my program in the next few days.
You can get more a$$ than a toilet seat in Dallas.

I never had much exposure to Perio, and thought it sounded boring cutting up gums. However a Perio resident gave a presentation on some of the surgeries she has done and it was pretty amazing. Yes, its not OMFS with a MD, but its not general dentistry either.

toofache32 said:
You can get more a$$ than a toilet seat in Dallas.

Alpert from Louiville said that to me during the interview.............this coming from a 60 year old OMFS faculty.......haha.

LSU-Cowboy said:

A lot of tails in downtown dallas also go for other tails......leaving more a$$ for us.

Doggie said:
Alpert from Louiville said that to me during the interview.............this coming from a 60 year old OMFS faculty.......haha.
I remember him saying something about the girls laying out in the sun and there being "more tail than you can shake a stick at" or something like that.

airvent said:
I never had much exposure to Perio, and thought it sounded boring cutting up gums. However a Perio resident gave a presentation on some of the surgeries she has done and it was pretty amazing. Yes, its not OMFS with a MD, but its not general dentistry either.

Right. No question that classic perio isn't everyone's cup of tea (including myself) but nowadays, perios aren't simple gum gardeners. Alot of my sx time is spent doing ridge augmentation for implants with ramus/chin grafts and doing sinus grafts, with implant placement or delayed.

Doggie said:
He told me the same thing...I liked that guy...couldn't figure out at the time why he was always scratching his crotch...

LSU-Cowboy said:
I heard that we may be taking on one of your chiefs...you heard any more news?

OMFSCardsFan said:
...I liked that guy...couldn't figure out at the time why he was always scratching his crotch...
Crabs.