Should I even bother with univeristy programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pritomd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello

First of all, I'm not premed anymore but I want to pursue a research based graduate degree and get into research once I begin working.

Anyway, I was just wondering if I should bother applying to a summer program at a university? They ask for an official transcript and two rec letters..

The rec letters I can get no problem..I have done research with two professors and they both loved me. The trascript part...that's what's getting me...every school I've looked at on http://people.rit.edu/gtfsbi/Symp/premed.htm asks for an official transcript.

My GPA is a 2.7.

That really hurts my chances..should I even bother with a summer program? And just try for a company or something? My friend told me companies don't request transcripts so much.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello

First of all, I'm not premed anymore but I want to pursue a research based graduate degree and get into research once I begin working.

Anyway, I was just wondering if I should bother applying to a summer program at a university? They ask for an official transcript and two rec letters..

The rec letters I can get no problem..I have done research with two professors and they both loved me. The trascript part...that's what's getting me...every school I've looked at on http://people.rit.edu/gtfsbi/Symp/premed.htm asks for an official transcript.

My GPA is a 2.7.

That really hurts my chances..should I even bother with a summer program? And just try for a company or something? My friend told me companies don't request transcripts so much.

Give it a go. Some might screen you out because of your grades, but I think most people would be more interested in your work-ethic and passion for research. You probably have a better shot than you think.

Give it a go. Some might screen you out because of your grades, but I think most people would be more interested in your work-ethic and passion for research. You probably have a better shot than you think.
Ditto.

<-dude with lower ugrad GPA than the OP's