Should I do a post-bacc? Need advice applying after graduating at 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johntera555

Reaction score
Hello all!

I need help with my direction of where I should go. I got my B.S. of Biology in 2020 and since then I've been working mostly. My GPA was 3.1 scientific, 3.2 overall. I was in the pre-dental clubs, did volunteering, shadowing, was a peer mentor, did research in undergrad. But since I graduated, all I've done was tutor, then worked front desk + dental assistant, and then became full time dental assistant currently. I have probably over 2000+ hours working in the dental field and getting paid, but here is my issue:

I only have a letter of rec from my current practicing dentist. I have no professors I am really close to. In my head, I can think of my research professor, but I haven't talked to him in years since research, and a biochemistry professor that I liked, but she probably doesn't even know me.

I have yet to take the DAT, and I plan on taking it this Feb. But this is if I plan to apply for this cycle. If I were to take the post-bacc route, I would wait to take the DAT. My question that I have is if I should take a post-bacc to increase my GPA, or try to take hit the DAT out of the park and cold-email my professors for a generic letter of rec. What would you do in my position? Any help/input is greatly appreciated, thank you all and stay safe.

Members don't see this ad.

Even though your gpa is barely below average, having a bio major helps because it shows you took a lot of heavy science classes etc etc. Reach out to every single professor (doesn't hurt) and tell them you're doing dentistry and blah blah im sure some will say yes. But this all comes down to your DAT score. You score a 23 plus you won't need anything imo if you apply to reasonable schools and 15 schools total.

Reactions: 1 user
Even though your gpa is barely below average, having a bio major helps because it shows you took a lot of heavy science classes etc etc. Reach out to every single professor (doesn't hurt) and tell them you're doing dentistry and blah blah im sure some will say yes. But this all comes down to your DAT score. You score a 23 plus you won't need anything imo if you apply to reasonable schools and 15 schools total.
3.1/3.2 is not "barely below average"
the average matriculant is 3.55 overall and science gpa...

Members don't see this ad :)
3.1/3.2 is not "barely below average"
the average matriculant is 3.55 overall and science gpa...
That number deff changes among bio majors. Either way anything above 3.0 will get you in somewhere if your DAT is above 23. People with 3.2 get in all the time.

That number deff changes among bio majors. Either way anything above 3.0 will get you in somewhere if your DAT is above 23. People with 3.2 get in all the time.
i didn't say OP wouldn't get in, just that the average matriculant gpa was higher than theirs
and that number does not change much over time...

i didn't say OP wouldn't get in, just that the average matriculant gpa was higher than theirs
and that number does not change much over time...
and I didn't say you said OP wouldn't get in LOL

No matter what, do not wait to take the DAT; you should take it right now (if you are ready). That way you can have your entire application complete by June. Study hard for the DAT; if you haven't started studying dedicate 2-3 months studying everyday for it. You are on the lower end for gpa, so you need to make sure to get at least 20+ in every section. Study hard for it though; let me know if you want some resources don't use kaplan, DAT BootCamp worked for me, but I have heard the best things about DAT Booster (do your own research).

Honestly, it wouldn't hurt to do a post-bacc/Master's but make sure you do it at a school connected to a dental school (one that you want to attend). I know people who had way lower GPAs than you that have done master's programs and have been accepted into the dental school they did the master's with. If I were you I would start applying to post-baccs (they typically start in the summer/fall) worst case scenario you decide you don't do one after being accepted into it, but that way you'll at least have the option. You should mainly look for master programs over post-bacc. Depending on where you're located as well. If you want one online check out LECOM's (you get a master's, and it only costs around $20k and is connect to their dental school) otherwise BU (expensive but a good program) has a really good one if you like the east coast (also a master's). A brand new one that I would also recommend checking out would be Roseman's MBS (costs around $30k) if you like Utah (they are going to a 3-year dental school) so it might be perfect for you. Also, midwestern AZ has a decent one too with a bridge to their dental school, but it costs around $60k & their dental school is crazy expensive too. Most master's do a guaranteed interview & if you are performing well in their program you should get accepted.

A good post-bacc would be getting into Creightons - I believe they do a guaranteed acceptance into their dental school if you maintain above a 3.6 gpa or something similar. Some of the post-bacc/master's programs may require the DAT or GRE so make sure to look for that.

If I were you I would schedule some zoom meetings with the programs or program directors just to talk to them, and ask them statistics (what percent get into dental school after finishing the program, what is the culture like, etc.) The biggest thing is to make sure you go somewhere that you see yourself attending for dental school.

Feel free to shoot me a message if you have any questions!

Reactions: 1 users
No matter what, do not wait to take the DAT; you should take it right now (if you are ready). That way you can have your entire application complete by June. Study hard for the DAT; if you haven't started studying dedicate 2-3 months studying everyday for it. You are on the lower end for gpa, so you need to make sure to get at least 20+ in every section. Study hard for it though; let me know if you want some resources don't use kaplan, DAT BootCamp worked for me, but I have heard the best things about DAT Booster (do your own research).

Honestly, it wouldn't hurt to do a post-bacc/Master's but make sure you do it at a school connected to a dental school (one that you want to attend). I know people who had way lower GPAs than you that have done master's programs and have been accepted into the dental school they did the master's with. If I were you I would start applying to post-baccs (they typically start in the summer/fall) worst case scenario you decide you don't do one after being accepted into it, but that way you'll at least have the option. You should mainly look for master programs over post-bacc. Depending on where you're located as well. If you want one online check out LECOM's (you get a master's, and it only costs around $20k and is connect to their dental school) otherwise BU (expensive but a good program) has a really good one if you like the east coast (also a master's). A brand new one that I would also recommend checking out would be Roseman's MBS (costs around $30k) if you like Utah (they are going to a 3-year dental school) so it might be perfect for you. Also, midwestern AZ has a decent one too with a bridge to their dental school, but it costs around $60k & their dental school is crazy expensive too. Most master's do a guaranteed interview & if you are performing well in their program you should get accepted.

A good post-bacc would be getting into Creightons - I believe they do a guaranteed acceptance into their dental school if you maintain above a 3.6 gpa or something similar. Some of the post-bacc/master's programs may require the DAT or GRE so make sure to look for that.

If I were you I would schedule some zoom meetings with the programs or program directors just to talk to them, and ask them statistics (what percent get into dental school after finishing the program, what is the culture like, etc.) The biggest thing is to make sure you go somewhere that you see yourself attending for dental school.

Feel free to shoot me a message if you have any questions!
Thank you for the responses! Yeah my plan is to start studying with DAT Bootcamp on Feb, take DAT in May all while trying to fill my application. I am really worried about my GPA, and LORs because I have not been keeping in touch with my professors. It's been giving me bad anxiety because I feel like I screwed myself over. Im debating between just applying and post-bacc/master's. Would it be possible to apply this year, and if I get rejected by all then do a post-bacc/master's?

Thank you for the responses! Yeah my plan is to start studying with DAT Bootcamp on Feb, take DAT in May all while trying to fill my application. I am really worried about my GPA, and LORs because I have not been keeping in touch with my professors. It's been giving me bad anxiety because I feel like I screwed myself over. Im debating between just applying and post-bacc/master's. Would it be possible to apply this year, and if I get rejected by all then do a post-bacc/master's?

I could give you a better answer after your DAT. worry about your DAT for now and try to get 23. don’t take it unless ur getting 20-21 on practice exams.

Your gpa isn't terrible, people get accepted with lower gpas. As far as LOR go, write the professors a really really nice/good email, talking about what you did in their class & why you're requesting it. I'm sure any professor will write you one, even if you hardly know them; you just need to write a bunch of talking points for them in the email and maybe attach a resume as well (be sincere & grateful).

I would potentially do both, apply this year and do the master's program at the same time. W/the master's, you will have the highest chance of getting an acceptance and saving a year of your life in the process. Yes, you would save more money if you just worked instead, but your chances of gaining an acceptance would be lower. Another thing you can do is reach out to dental admissions and ask if you can schedule a meeting with them to see what they think. Let them know your stats and where you are in life, and go from there.

Overall, I think the best thing that you can do is study hard for the DAT right now and get a high score. Additionally, I would start reaching out to dental schools that you are interested in attending and see what they would recommend. I would also look for master's programs to start this summer/fall. Start applying; those slots will start filling up. Take a master's program that is connected to a dental school and the school that you would want to attend. Work hard in the master's, connect with the dental school (most program directors will write a LOR to the dental school), interview, and gain acceptance into your top Dschool.

Honestly, I think you are in a really good position. You have a decent gpa, and plenty of time to study hard for the DAT, and if you do a master's your application will stand out more. I believe around this time next year you will be accepted into at least 1 dental school. Make sure to get your application in around June 1st. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions along the way!

A lot of good points have been touched up on. I wanna further reiterate that just because you haven't met a professor continuously or sat down with them to talk letters of Rec it shouldn't be impossible to find one willing to write you one. A couple professors of mine wrote me some and I hadn't met with them at all, given this was during covid. However, I wrote them a very nice email and explained how their class had prepared me well for dental school and I attached my resume, my transcript, and then a detailed packet of information that contained attributes about myself, a little bit of my personal statement, why dentistry, etc etc. I think that information really helped them connect to who I am as a student and how/why I am capable of going to dental school even if they hadn't gotten to know me on a more personal level. I had done well in their class which also helped convince them to write me one as well. Its definitely possible to get a letter from a prof even if you don't know them super well!

So yes, focus hard on your DAT. That will make up for your GPA for sure. A masters will surely help, but it's not the end all solution to getting it, it will just make it slightly easier if you do well in it. Keep your head up and get ready to grind, if you want it, you can do it!