Setting up a Keogh

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mark-ER

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm already maxing out my ROTH IRA and wanna save some more and lower my taxable income at the same time. We don't get a 401k, 403b, thrifty or any other like plan. I heard I might be able to set up a keogh even if I'm not self employed. How do I go about it.

As a side issue--> Any of your LOST your certificates for US treasury bonds? Many people don't know about it, but you CAN reclaim them.

Members don't see this ad.

i think you have to moonlight to have that as the "self-employed" income. i don't think the resident salary would qualify otherwise. here is a link with some general info: http://www.quicken.com/cms/viewers/article/retirement/18298

what i didn't know till i read this is that you are limited to 25% or $40,000 whichever is less of the selfemployed income to contribute to Keogh... there is also a SEP-IRA, but i'm not sure what % of self-employed income (if any) you are limited to with this...

Doesn't sound like you qualify for a Keogh. You may qualify for a SEP-IRA if you are self-employed.

Consider a tax-efficient mutual fund such as Vanguard Total Stock Market, Fidelity Total Stock Market, Vanguard Tax-managed international, Vanguard Tax-managed small.

Don't get sucked into Variable Life Insurance/annuity, which is frequently marketed to people like you. The problem is the expenses are often so high it counteracts the tax advantages of the annuity. If you do decide on an annuity, the cheapest one I know of is also available at Vanguard, so compare any others to that one.

Good luck investing.