Select reserve benefits?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jak9145

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am planning on applying to medical school this June for the fall of 2020 and I plan on applying for the HPSP scholarship. I currently collect Montgomery GI select reserve benefits each month for being a full-time graduate student as well as an Army Reservist. I am wondering if those benefits will continue in medical school even if I am no longer in the reserves and even if I am collecting benefits from the HPSP?
- Jared

Members don't see this ad.

The Department of Veteran's Affairs considers the HPSP-stipend a “scholarship” because they have nothing to do with the DOD perse’ but only verify if an individual was allotted GI Bill education benefits based on length and honorable service.

That said, as of March 27th 2019 Chapter 1606 of the Montgomery GI Bill selected reserve program states “Once you transfer from the Selected Reserve to the Individual Ready Reserve (IRR) or Retired Reserve, your eligibility is terminated

Since you’ll be using HPSP, your considered a commissioned officer in the Inactive Ready Reserve so you no longer qualify for those specific benefits.

With that, I’m assuming your a reservist in the Army so I’m using excerpts from the Human Resource Center - Army. I have not heard of deviated outlines exclaimed for the other branches due to most stay on par with each other when it comes to eligibility of benefits. If your in another branch I’d relay this info with your equivalent S-1 or health professions officer with this excerpt and see if they can cross-reference it with theirs.

Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user