Second look-bad idea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Saradoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering doing a second look at one of my top 3 programs, it is the only one in my top 3 that i did not do an away rotation at, so i figured they dont know me very well. My interview day went well, but this program has an excellent reputation, and is a bit of a "reach" for me.
Do you think they will be testing my surgical/delivery skills? It is mainly a private hospital so im not sure they will let me be very hands on. Any opinions on if the second look can hurt or help me?

Members don't see this ad.

It'll be unlikely for them to test you on anything "hands-on" as it is a liability issue. You might be asked questions in a benign way. Often time you're given a chance to shadow residents at your own pace and see the rubbings of the program. I'd go there with an open eye, not worry about "pimping" or other "tests" and for the most part see if you can fit in with the overall atmosphere.

Good luck!

I've had several people come back for 2nd looks to my program in the past. We don't expect our applicants to know anything - we see it as a chance for the applicant to see what our day is like, and how we interact with each other. It's more of a social/personality thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks! i did my second look today-stress free and definitely worthwhile

I've had several people come back for 2nd looks to my program in the past. We don't expect our applicants to know anything - we see it as a chance for the applicant to see what our day is like, and how we interact with each other. It's more of a social/personality thing.

Agree with this statement. You will not have malpractice coverage during a second look so you will have zero responsibilities. Its mostly so you can see how the residents are at work. We generally encourage it at our facility. It is entirely for your own benefit. Although if you say something really stupid it might hurt your chances of matching.