SCS doesn’t work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lobelsteve

Staff member
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Is an expose needed to say they don't work for "chronic back pain?" How many pain docs legitimately believe that they do?
Seems like a waste of $ on reporters.
And if the authors meant to say FBSS, CRPS, etc then there are even bigger problems with their reporting, much like GIGO Cochrane.

Is an expose needed to say they don't work for "chronic back pain?" How many pain docs legitimately believe that they do?
Seems like a waste of $ on reporters.
And if the authors meant to say FBSS, CRPS, etc then there are even bigger problems with their reporting, much like GIGO Cochrane.
Sadly, docs in my group put them in all the time for axial lbp, even axial thoracic pain. Didn’t know that was an indication.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
SCS is a waste of time and money for any pain at or above the belt line.

1- SCS makes sense for CRPS, painful peripheral neuropathy, and FBSS but only if most of the pain is in the buttock or lower.
(And patients should have to fail at least 3 neuropathic meds before a stim trial can be submitted for any of those three diagnoses.

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone have the data on what percentage of scs put in for FBSS, painful neuropathy, and CRPS either stop working or are taken out. It feels like it’s at least 50% from the patients I’ve seen.

Reactions: 1 user

Just finished watching the documentary, nothing I outright disagree with. Their citing of the reported complication rates mirrors that of the medical literature.

SCS is a waste of time and money for any pain at or above the belt line.

1- SCS makes sense for CRPS, painful peripheral neuropathy, and FBSS but only if most of the pain is in the buttock or lower.
(And patients should have to fail at least 3 neuropathic meds before a stim trial can be submitted for any of those three diagnoses.

Has a clinical indication for refractory anginal pain. Worked with a neurosurgeon who did get insurance to cover for that indication.