Scrubs Episode

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cancer_doc

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't watch "Scrubs" on NBC and I'm not exactly sure what happened in the episode last week (dec 11, I think), but a friend of mine who saw it informed me of something interesting (and concerning).

Supposedly, one of the subplot involved some guy with prostate cancer who chickened out of a scheduled prostatectomy b/c of his concerns over his sexual potency post surgery. His wife researched other alternative treatments. The rest of the show was the good guys trying to convince him that surgery was best for him and he shouldn't be tricked into undergoing those alternatives. He finally heeded their wisdom and rationale and proceeded with surgery.

Well, the "alternatives" mentioned included herbal medication and brachytherapy seed implantation. PArdon my French, but how the ---- do you put herbal medication and brachytherapy into the same category? I doubt the producers and writers devoted a lot of research into writing that episode. Anyone want to bet that the "technical advisor" they relied on was a urologist?

That friend asked me whether brachytherapy and radiation therapy was "alternative" medicine. I clarified that with him but it's concerning to know how influential the mass media can be when it comes to dictating people's perception. I sent an email to the producers to notify them of their misrepresentation of our profession and I think everyone here should try to do the same. Help us out!

Moderators note: edited for language (----).

Members don't see this ad.

I saw the episode. Went something like this:

Pt: "I've been doing some research, and I'm interested in alternative methods of treatment, such as diet, exercise, or seeds."

Main character doctor-guy: "But those will simply delay the inevitable (spelling?)- you need surgery to cure the disease."

I almost hucked my Budweiser through the tv screen. Clearly the writers either didn't do research or only asked a urologist who was more interested in deceiving the public than providing correct information.

But, keep in mind this is a sitcom. In fact, look at the x-ray behind the word "scrubs" during the opening sequence. Either the pt had situs inversus or somebody put the thing up backwards.

yep i noticed it too. Its a sitcom, folks- remember the early episode with the paracentesis? And in the same episode the other night a woman had an orgasm getting a pelvic? Woe to anyone who watches scrub for medical realism.

Can women really get orgasms from a pelvic exam?