Scramble MD After You Match DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tmjf_sifu

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

I understand that the NRMP is removing all DO students from the NRMP match as soon as they match NMS/osteopathically. My question is, can you still scramble MD even after you match DO?

Members don't see this ad.

well, the scramble has nothing to do with the match, so I would guess it might work out. After the match, all rules are off, I suppose?

As I understand it, ANY match is considered a contract, and getting out of that contract might well be very difficult. Someone care to explain further?

BTW, if you are worried that a DO residency might not be what you want, you should apply to allo- residencies only, or maybe consider MD schools only. Best of luck to you.

It's a tough position to be in. I'm hoping to match to a PGY-2 program which requires a transistional year. I also interviewed at a few categorical programs. I took the basically guaranteed traditional rotating for a number of reasons, but had second thoughts too. If your only going for a PGY-1 position it makes it an even tougher call. As for the scramble, that's for unmatched candidates for open positions. Now you can forgo the contract that you are required to sign, but that is considered a florid violation, and the program can exempt you from matching to ANY program this year, which means you could be completely jobless.