Science teacher

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WildOrchids27

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who are already in pharmacy school, I have a quick question. Do you think it would be easier for a high school chem teacher or a hs bio teacher to transition into pharmacy school. After taking pharm classes would you say it consist of more chemistry or biology? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think they'd both do fine. Pharmacy is a nice mix of both. Plus, to know either one you have to know some of the other.

WildOrchids27 said:
For those who are already in pharmacy school, I have a quick question. Do you think it would be easier for a high school chem teacher or a hs bio teacher to transition into pharmacy school. After taking pharm classes would you say it consist of more chemistry or biology? Thanks!

It would depend on how long they've been out of school. A bio major must take 1 year of gen chem and 1 year of o-chem to get their degree. A chem major doesn't have to take anything but basic (non-major) biology.

There's probably more physiology than anything else, at least at UF. I think biology is a better degree for understanding physiology. We don't have very much chemistry, except for med chem and that isn't too difficult of a course.

Members don't see this ad :)
we have a lot more chemistry here than biology.

look at the curriculums of the schools you are interested in and that should tell you.
also talk to people who attend school there.
looking at our curriculum all you see is biochem(4hrs) and medchem (hrs) but actually our ID is also medchem of antibiotics.

bbmuffin said:
looking at our curriculum all you see is biochem(4hrs) and medchem (hrs) but actually our ID is also medchem of antibiotics.

We have biochem too, but I counted biochem as biology and not chemistry. I guess it could go either way.

If I did it anyone can do it and it is unrelated to your backround. Rather, you
must assess how badly you want it.

I think that pretty much applies to anything you do in life, but eh.