Science GPA calculations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SMD1991

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm going to be applying to Pod schools for the 2017 cycle and I'm wondering about the science GPA calculations. I know they calculate biology, math, chemistry and physics. However I have taken some "biology" classes at my school, but not in the biology department. I have taken anatomy and physiology (plus the labs) , biodiversity and a microbiology/immunology course, but they were in the kinesiology and environmental departments. Anyone know if they will calculate those into my sgpa as well? I got As in each so that would mean a lot for me, thanks!

I also have a list they provided for what they put into science gpas, but they don't go too in depth: https://portal.aacpmas.org/applicants2013/faq/faq_coursesubjects.html. They also say that not all courses will be listed.

Members don't see this ad.

So...what is the code attached to your courses? Like BIO2402 or BIOL2402?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

You decide which category each course will count towards when you manually input your transcripts and when AACPMAS gets your official transcripts they will verify what you entered. So when you input them select the subject as biology and as long as the course code thing says something like BIO or the full course name on the transcript makes things pretty clear then surely they will count towards biology.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So...what is the code attached to your courses? Like BIO2402 or BIOL2402?

They are: KINE 2460, KINE 2560, KINE 2590 and so on then EEES 2150. (EEES is the environmental department at my school)

You decide which category each course will count towards when you manually input your transcripts and when AACPMAS gets your official transcripts they will verify what you entered. So when you input them select the subject as biology and as long as the course code thing says something like BIO or the full course name on the transcript makes things pretty clear then surely they will count towards biology.

Okay, they all have biology or something similar in the name as well, this is good news, Thanks!

If the course name or description is clear then it should be good. Whomever is verifying your transcripts has probably verified hundreds of transcripts and should know that anatomy, physiology, microbiology, etc. are all biology courses.

If you are still concerned then give AACPMAS a call, they are very helpful.

I figured they would count, I'm trying to get my most precise gpas calculated to find my odds of acceptances/scholarships. I'll give them a call too, thanks again!

OK. Also your most recent grades will probably be weighed a little heavier by adcoms (not by AACPMAS) so an upward or downward trend in your grades would probably have an impact on scholarship offers. Also, Temple scolarships are bases 2/3 on MCAT and 1/3 on GPA, not sure how other schools determine scolarship offers. Overall, some schools have much more in scholarships to offer than others and I don't think Midwestern offers scolarships at all. Some schools will offer you a lower incoming scholarship that is easier to have renewed each year and others (like Temple) offer you larger scolarships first year but the odds are you would get less scholarship money in the later years.

Temple is actually in my top two choices, however my MCAT is only 496. I know 496 is competitive for applications but I assume it's too low for scholarships. I was thinking about retaking it to strengthen my application/be more competitive for scholarships, any thoughts? I know I can get at least 500-502 since I only prepared for a week or two for it the first time.

How much does an MCAT cost, a couple hundred bucks plus time? I was accepted to Temple with pretty much the max 1st year scholarship, something like $11,000. Heck, even a fraction of that scholarship amount would be worth a couple hundred bucks plus study time. If you're confident that you can score even just a few points higher, then it's worth the retake.

Last edited:
Sounds good to me, I'll apply right when I get my new MCAT score back. My lowest was psychology/sociology, by far. If I had put a little time into that section alone I would have had over 500...

Reactions: 1 user