Schools with Mandatory Attendance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medical Bear

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I will be applying this cycle and wondered which pod schools have mandatory attendence. Specifically, do Azpod, Barry, and Western require it?

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure about those, but I am a first year student at Scholl, and generally in your first year at least, classes are not mandatory to attend. All first year lectures are recorded with screen capture as well as voice. Generally, they have a compilation of recordings from previous years as well, so if in the chance the professor forgets to press the record button (happens a lot unfortunately), they can upload a previous year's recording of that lecture. Most of the material stays the same so it is generally the same exact lecture by the same exact professor as well.

There are a few classes that are mandatory to go to such as anatomy lab and any physiology workshops. Also, the clinical reasoning class we take with the MD students has a handful of required lectures and workshops/labs we have to attend every month. Besides those, most lectures are not required to attend at Scholl, and that has been very beneficial for me. It is definitely easier for me to wake up a little later in the day (around 11am) and than start my study routine than with watching lectures/studying myself.

I know NYCPM is one of the schools that makes it mandatory to attend ALL lectures, which is why I decided to not go there (I am from NYC).

Reactions: 1 user
I know NYCPM is one of the schools that makes it mandatory to attend ALL lectures, which is why I decided to not go there (I am from NYC).
I believe you have to attend 70% of lectures at NYCPM, not all

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe you have to attend 70% of lectures at NYCPM, not all
Yes, sorry, I was just using information from previous people's posts and what I got from interview day. But even 70% of lectures being mandatory is a waste of time for me at least. I know that making school a full time job is a good practice to start from the beginning, but, if that is going to make me fail my exams, what is the point? So much easier to just study at your own pace throughout the day than rush study after class.

Reactions: 1 user
Western have some mandatory classes, 2-3 times a week at most. You are required to attend the anatomy lab, standardized patient encounters, and podiatry classes. Regular lectures in block with DO students are not mandatory.
Hey guys I will be applying this cycle and wondered which pod schools have mandatory attendence. Specifically, do Azpod, Barry, and Western require it?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using SDN mobile

Let me further clarify my previous post. Of the 29 hours a week of lecture, you are required to attend 6-7 hrs at most.
Western have some mandatory classes, 2-3 times a week at most. You are required to attend the anatomy lab, standardized patient encounters, and podiatry classes. Regular lectures in block with DO students are not mandatory.

Hello,

Western does have mandatory attendance, but it is very minimal. I can confirm that the anatomy labs, standardized patient encounters, and podiatry specific classes are always mandatory, and they are also beneficial to attend as some of them may not be recorded. Western practices interprofessionalism with DO students, taking the same classes as them. Those classes are usually not mandatory, take up the majority of your week, and are recorded, with the exception being guest speakers presenting the lecture (those will be mandatory for all students). I hope this information answers your question.

--Current Pod Student --

Western's mandatory classes include those where you can only learn by doing - for example: anatomy lab, Clinical and Medical Reasoning and skills, practice encounters, and the occasional guest speaker.

The Podiatry classes are mandatory - and are spread out throughout the courses.

The majority of classes can be watched from home to ones leisure and are posted as soon as each lecture finishes.

Sorry to bump this thread. Does anyone from Barry/Temple know if lecture is mandatory (excluding the hands-on classes of course)?

Sorry to bump this thread. Does anyone from Barry/Temple know if lecture is mandatory (excluding the hands-on classes of course)?

At Temple they expect you to attend class, will scold you for not attending class, but ultimately there are no consequences for not attending class. Interpret that how you will.