schools with good ortho

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JDWflash44

Workin it...
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying to get into medical schools and I was wondering which schools are known for having good ortho departments?? I work in a practice with 6 orthos and their advice has been go to a school with a good ortho department and it will be easier to get an ortho residency. So I was wondering if anyone could list schools with good ortho departments/reputations? One of the doctors I work with who went to Pittsburgh said he went there because of the ortho department. So u guys have any suggestions...

Members don't see this ad.

JDWflash44 said:
I'm applying to get into medical schools and I was wondering which schools are known for having good ortho departments?? I work in a practice with 6 orthos and their advice has been go to a school with a good ortho department and it will be easier to get an ortho residency. So I was wondering if anyone could list schools with good ortho departments/reputations? One of the doctors I work with who went to Pittsburgh said he went there because of the ortho department. So u guys have any suggestions...

Although it would be better for you to go to a school with a reputable Ortho department, the bottom line is how well you do in med school, not how well your department is doing. One thing to keep in mind is that it is better to go to a school that has an ortho residency program. You could find this out by looking at their website. Maybe you should post the med schools that admitted you, and we'll help you decide on which one has the best ortho department.

I am a female who is planning to pursue orthopedic surgery (probably spinal).
Can anyone give me advice on deciding b/w:
-Going to NYU med paying $$$$, and living in horrible dorms for the 'prestige'
-Or going to UTMB (UT Galveston) paying practically nothing and having a much more relaxing atmosphere to hit the books in.

Thanks

sinephera said:
I am a female who is planning to pursue orthopedic surgery (probably spinal).
Can anyone give me advice on deciding b/w:
-Going to NYU med paying $$$$, and living in horrible dorms for the 'prestige'
-Or going to UTMB (UT Galveston) paying practically nothing and having a much more relaxing atmosphere to hit the books in.

Thanks

When choosing med school, residency, or really anything else in life, lifestyle and happieness should be your first priority. You can get into ortho from anywhere int he world. Apply yourself, get good grades, develop relationships with orthopaedic faculty early to earn good letters of rec and reseach and kick but on boards and your rotations. Hvae fun in Galveston.