School List Suggestions (3.8)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1189295

3.8-3.84 sGPA and cGPA, Asian CA resident, not basic science major in STEM

1000+ hrs of wet lab research for a total 1-2 years, primary research

960 hrs of research under mentor, side research on social issues -> 4 conferences

a total of at 6 posters from all my areas of research

1 first author pub in my primary research area, 1 third author submitted for independent research (my friend was doing his own research and wanted me to do a specific chunk of it)

12k+ paid clinical (I worked part-time all of college as the only person in the family who is capable of working)

200 non clinical volunteering, essay editing for middle school girls

130 hospital volunteering just to check the box

50 hrs student mentor? I haven't really counted the hrs yet

1 magazine article

TA two non-science classes

will be IN my masters when I apply

Asian but severely disadvantaged socioeconomically (I was the one free lunch kid growing up + got Pell grant)

For the next year, I am planning on 20-50 hrs of shadowing just to check the boxes again.

—-------------------

This might be a little early to think about the cycle a year ahead and w/o mcat, but I just wanted to organize my thoughts

1. Any school suggestions? I made the mistake of applying to too less reach schools for my masters, where I only applied to Yale and Harvard and I got in to both with large scholarships.

2. I haven’t taken the mcat, but I want to know if high mcat can compensate for a “low” gpa for top tier schools to give myself more motivation.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your GPA isn't "low" (it's high in my opinion), but we can't give you a school list until we know your MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user
Your GPA isn't "low" (it's high in my opinion), but we can't give you a school list until we know your MCAT.
Yeah I understand that it isn't "low," but I see that a lot of T10 schools are 3.9+, so I am not sure if 3.8 will limit me. For MCAT, I am expecting a 515-518 range. I can try for higher, but I don't want to waste the time if a 3.8 will hold me back from T10 anyway. (I don't mean to come off as I am only going to a T10, but I feel like 515-518 won't hold me back from outside of the T10 as much).

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I understand that it isn't "low," but I see that a lot of T10 schools are 3.9+, so I am not sure if 3.8 will limit me. For MCAT, I am expecting a 515-518 range. I can try for higher, but I don't want to waste the time if a 3.8 will hold me back from T10 anyway. (I don't mean to come off as I am only going to a T10, but I feel like 515-518 won't hold me back from outside of the T10 as much).
I'm not an expert, but I personally don't see that much of a difference between a 3.8 and a 3.9. For T10's you'll need a strong MCAT, regardless of your GPA.

Shadowing is a definite need and get 40 hours or more.
I know you’re just writing casually on this message board but please don’t use phrases like” I did this to check the box “ on your medical school essays ;)
What is your push towards being a physician over being a researcher?

Do you qualify for the FAP? Benefits include free MCAT materials and discounted registration for MCAT, PREview, Casper indirectly, and AMCAS. You also could apply separately for AACOMAS FAP should you wind up applying to DO programs. Where specifically did you grow up?

Tell us more about this master's program. You are misinformed if you believe a Master's degree gets you more "points" unless you are applying to Canadian programs (where that is possible).

Your service orientation activities are not listed or non-existent. Essay editing is an academic activity similar to tutoring, mentoring, or teaching.

Do you qualify for the FAP? Benefits include free MCAT materials and discounted registration for MCAT, PREview, Casper indirectly, and AMCAS. You also could apply separately for AACOMAS FAP should you wind up applying to DO programs. Where specifically did you grow up?

Tell us more about this master's program. You are misinformed if you believe a Master's degree gets you more "points" unless you are applying to Canadian programs (where that is possible).

Your service orientation activities are not listed or non-existent. Essay editing is an academic activity similar to tutoring, mentoring, or teaching.
Sorry for the misunderstanding on the master's part. It was supposed to be a joke because I know that it doesn't add more "points" at all because medical school doesn't really care about school rankings. But it definitely adds happy pts for me because I see it as an accomplishment. My masters is tech related (I won't say the specific program just in case someone recognizes me here), but it is the same field as my undergrad major. About the service orientation, I have been a caregiver since 2019 for the elderly, disabled. This is a primary source of income for me, aside from the government aid my family gets. About the first part, yes, I do qualify, but I grew up in a nice city with a lot of resources.

Sorry for the misunderstanding on the master's part. It was supposed to be a joke because I know that it doesn't add more "points" at all because medical school doesn't really care about school rankings. But it definitely adds happy pts for me because I see it as an accomplishment. My masters is tech related (I won't say the specific program just in case someone recognizes me here), but it is the same field as my undergrad major. About the service orientation, I have been a caregiver since 2019 for the elderly, disabled. This is a primary source of income for me, aside from the government aid my family gets. About the first part, yes, I do qualify, but I grew up in a nice city with a lot of resources.
Are you caregiving under an employment contract (with certifications), or is this for family? Do you have other opportunities to do community service, such as food distribution, job/tax preparation, transportation services, shelter volunteer, or housing rehabilitation?

Shadowing is a definite need and get 40 hours or more.
I know you’re just writing casually on this message board but please don’t use phrases like” I did this to check the box “ on your medical school essays ;)
What is your push towards being a physician over being a researcher?
Yeah thanks for the suggestion. I definitely won't say that. I was simply saying it here since I had people ask me why. (I don't really like stocking up things and delivering samples, so I would rather do something I find meaningful unless it is needed). I considered applying for a PhD this year, but I want to put it aside until I know exactly what I want to study.

Are you caregiving under an employment contract (with certifications), or is this for family? Do you have other opportunities to do community service, such as food distribution, job/tax preparation, transportation services, shelter volunteer, or housing rehabilitation?
Employment contract. No certifications but I did the training that was required. The last question, I could possibly do that next year since I am applying 2025.

Employment contract. No certifications but I did the training that was required. The last question, I could possibly do that next year since I am applying 2025.
If so, you need a minimum of 150 hours of service orientation activities as I described. With your stats, you are better off with at least 250 hours to be on par with other high-stat applicants.