schedule during intern year . . . a problem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fabio

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
We just received our intern schedules. I did not get an intern elective in any of fields of potential fellowships I might be considering. We could make a few requests in our schedule, but I did not think I would need to request such electives because every current resident I talked to said that they did have these electives in their first year and I should get at least one of them. As it turns out, I now have 2 elective months fields I am really not considering - just a piece of bad luck.

(Note: they are not actual "electives", but more "selectives." I would have had to take these at some point during first or second year, anyway.) I was really hoping to get at least one of the selectives I was considering in the first year, since I might be applying for fellowship in the 2nd year.

Do you think this would negatively impact my fellowship application process? I have posted before on the timeline of fellowship application, but I am again wondering at what point to I need to have a decision during my second year? Are there any steps I could take this close to the start of residency, or would it be a total pain for everyone? Should I just request the selectives I want for very, very early next year?

Thanks . . . hope that all made sense. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Hi

You can always talk to the PD or APD about this, and that you'd like to have your selective in a different area. Explain your reasons, you've got nothing to lose.

If you can't get them to change it, you can always request your rotations of interest in the beginning of 2nd year. That should work as well, and you'll be better prepared to master these special rotations.

good luck
lf