SBRT technical discussion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RickyScott

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
it’s more about time on table. If you are doing a sbrt setup, even with a vmat plan, each iso takes 15-30 min for treatment depending on couch kicks etc. if you are treating 3 oligomets, 5 fractions vs 3 fractions vs 1 fractions ends up making a difference. Plus you can treat each oligomet on different days to minimize effect of overlap between lesions
That is just not true that an iso takes 30 minutes. Nor is it common to treat more than one iso outside of brain w/sbrt on same day. And in the case of brain, I am sure Cleveland clinics is almost always using single iso for multiple lesions or gamma knife. Can’t imagine they don’t have latest varian tech. Even more absurd would be to give 40 gy in single fractions to multiple lung lesions in the same course.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
That is just not true that an iso takes 30 minutes. Nor is it common to treat more than one iso outside of brain w/sbrt on same day. And in the case of brain, I am sure Cleveland clinics is almost always using single iso for multiple lesions or gamma knife. Can’t imagine they don’t have latest varian tech. Even more absurd would be to give 40 gy in single fractions to multiple lung lesions in the same course.

I would be careful to assume everyone treats the way you do. There is tremendous variability in SBRT delivery from center to center. There are places that do abdominal compression, 4D cbct, 12 field noncoplanar static beams, non-FFF, midtreatment cbct, etc. and it is certainly true that set up, CBCT verification, and beam on time can take up 30 min per iso.

1604174383154.png

It is impossible to treat single iso multi mets on a gamma knife, the machine is only able to treat one met at a time. Literally all the beams in the machine coverge in the middle at one isocenter.

I'm just going to stop correcting all the incorrect things you are saying because we are straying from the main point of the conversation

Reactions: 4 users
I would be careful to assume everyone treats the way you do. There is tremendous variability in SBRT delivery from center to center. There are places that do abdominal compression, 4D cbct, 12 field noncoplanar static beams, non-FFF, midtreatment cbct, etc. and it is certainly true that set up, CBCT verification, and beam on time can take up 30 min per iso.

View attachment 321969

It is impossible to treat single iso multi mets on a gamma knife, the machine is only able to treat one met at a time. Literally all the beams in the machine coverge in the middle at one isocenter.

I'm just going to stop correcting all the incorrect things you are saying because we are straying from the main point of the conversation

Yes, we do abdominal compression, 4DCBCT, midtreatment CBCT for each arc

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Do you do this for all cases up to five fractions, or single fraction?

I do CBCT between arcs for cardiac SBRT, but this is the only time I have done this.

Reactions: 1 users
Do you do this for all cases up to five fractions, or single fraction?

I do CBCT between arcs for cardiac SBRT, but this is the only time I have done this.

it has been a policy in dept for a while to do this for all SBRT cases. Physics feels it is better. I just follow standard departmental protocol.

it has been a policy in dept for a while to do this for all SBRT cases. Physics feels it is better. I just follow standard departmental protocol.
I have convinced ours not to do this. princess Margaret data that greater than 15-18 minutes on table caused increasing intrafraction movement. We do track with vision rt.

So say you're SBRTing, and you have two arcs, you CBCT, treat 1 arc, then CBCT before the 2nd arc?

What's the utility of that besides keeping patient on table longer? Are you billing for 2 CBCTs?

So say you're SBRTing, and you have two arcs, you CBCT, treat 1 arc, then CBCT before the 2nd arc?

What's the utility of that besides keeping patient on table longer? Are you billing for 2 CBCTs?
There’s some reasoning behind a “double check“ IGRT maneuver midway through a long treatment (ie patient on table >10-15 min). A couple mm drift in all uni-D’s means patient’s 3-4mm drifted from start; I’d wanna know that and correct for it if it happened. The CBCTs can be done pretty quickly nowadays. You could try to bill for two CBCTs but I’m sure it would not work and might even cancel out both codes. Any single IGRT code edits out the others.

Reactions: 2 users
There’s some reasoning behind a “double check“ IGRT maneuver midway through a long treatment (ie patient on table >10-15 min). A couple mm drift in all uni-D’s means patient’s 3-4mm drifted from start; I’d wanna know that and correct for it if it happened. The CBCTs can be done pretty quickly nowadays. You could try to bill for two CBCTs but I’m sure it would not work and might even cancel out both codes. Any single IGRT code edits out the others.

agree with this. Once mri linac data becomes mainstream we will see how much stuff is moving when we don’t realize it. Whether it ends up making a clinical difference is something the mri linac people hopefully will formally study ( and then we will complain about that)

I do it on treatment one, and if no changes, don't do it again. Don't bill for 2 CBCTs.

For one fraction SBRT spine I do CBCT every arc or every other arc and again at the end unless I'm verifying in real time with OSMS (brain cases/Hyperarc, and then I get CBCT at the end).

For multi-fraction SBRT I do CBCT at the beginning and maybe at the end depending on the case.

With FFF arcs the treatment is usually so fast that I'm not sure that most patients wiggle much at all.

You only bill for the one CBCT. But I do tend to push a lot of dose, and I am often right against OAR constraints, so I'm a little paranoid.

agree with this. Once mri linac data becomes mainstream we will see how much stuff is moving when we don’t realize it. Whether it ends up making a clinical difference is something the mri linac people hopefully will formally study ( and then we will complain about that)

There have been a few publications on this for pancreas already which led to the SMART trial (NCT03621644).

I'm trying to study this prospectively for another disease site. I have retrospective data showing changes that nobody has ever described before, and I can't publish it. At first it was "that disease site doesn't change during treatment, reject" (you can't see it with CBCT so how did you ever know) and now it's "ok so you proved that it changes, what's it good for? Reject." Will keep fighting the good fight and you all can keep complaining ;)

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users
The ubiquity of motion, even in anatomic areas where we traditionally don't worry 'bout motion, is a real thing. In reality it (motion effects, and random setup error) probably "evens out" over a long, fractionated course of treatment. But I'm anal, and for single fraction SRS or SBRT I always do mid-tx imaging and correct for even a mm drift in one dimension.

Members don't see this ad :)
For one fraction SBRT spine I do CBCT every arc or every other arc and again at the end unless I'm verifying in real time with OSMS (brain cases/Hyperarc).

For multi-fraction SBRT I do CBCT at the beginning and maybe at the end depending on the case.

With FFF arcs the treatment is usually so fast that I'm not sure that most patients wiggle much at all.

You only bill for the one CBCT. But I do tend to push a lot of dose, and I am often right against OAR constraints, so I'm a little paranoid.

There have been a few publications on this for pancreas already which led to the SMART trial (NCT03621644).

I'm trying to study this prospectively for another disease site. I have retrospective data showing changes that nobody has ever described before, and I can't publish it. At first it was "that disease site doesn't change during treatment, reject" (you can't see it with CBCT so how did you ever know) and now it's "ok so you proved that it changes, what's it good for? Reject." Will keep fighting the good fight and you all can keep complaining ;)
An after the fact cbct? I'll stick with ignorance.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
  • Love
E pur si muove
Galileo Galilei
Inside every human is a 100,000 mile long river constantly flowing and causing motion... but like @radiation said, clinically it prob doesn't make a difference for most XRT tx's (think of cardiac SBRT, the most extreme example of motion but still very good XRT outcomes knowing full well all motion wasn't compensated for). We will never control for all motion IMHO (nor should we try). One of the reasons we used to (and still do!) put pins in skulls for SRS e.g. was predicated on the fact that brain doesn't move during SRS. But it does. If you go back and look at scads of CBCTs, you'll notice things like a patient's spinal cord being in slightly different positions within the canal every day. Regarding all this: best to let go and let God!

Inside every human is a 100,000 mile long river constantly flowing and causing motion... but like @radiation said, clinically it prob doesn't make a difference for most XRT tx's (think of cardiac SBRT, the most extreme example of motion but still very good XRT outcomes knowing full well all motion wasn't compensated for). We will never control for all motion IMHO (nor should we try). One of the reasons we used to (and still do!) put pins in skulls for SRS e.g. was predicated on the fact that brain doesn't move during SRS. But it does. If you go back and look at scads of CBCTs, you'll notice things like a patient's spinal cord being in slightly different positions within the canal every day. Regarding all this: best to let go and let God!

When it comes to cardiac SBRT, the two times I've done it I was impressed with how...inexact...the target contour was. It was more or less just an oval-shaped cloud over the area of concern, which wasn't small. I wasn't as worried with motion once I saw what we were actually going to try to hit as a result.

Which surface guidance system and body site in particular?
Vision rt. For head, chest, abdomen- it should detect if pt moves on the table and it tracks respiration. What is a cone beam in the middle of lung, pancreas or cranial adding to surface monitoring?

Is there a rational for a cbct during treatment if you are using infrared surface guidance/monitoring?

Is there a quantifiable rationale of CBCT during treatment regardless of use of OSMS?

How often are people doing the second CBCT prior to each arc and seeing any sort of shift when compared to first CBCT? Seems like an a very easy physics project to get published if there's any validated benefit of it.

Vision rt. For head, chest, abdomen- it should detect if pt moves on the table and it tracks respiration. What is a cone beam in the middle of lung, pancreas or cranial adding to surface monitoring?

I have found Varian's implementation (OSMS) to be very flaky. It tracks respiration but it gives a lot more error than RPM in my experience. For intracranial linac based SRS I use 1 mm PTV margin. The OSMS system in some patients has no issue, and then on other patients it's just all over the place and often reading 1.5 mm or more even when there is no movement. So I am constantly kicking the couch back to neutral and sometimes doing the cone beam again to verify that OSMS isn't just giving a flaky measurement again.

I have moved a number of posts from Rad Onc Twitter into this thread to facilitate further discussion on this topic

Meanwhile, I die every time I watch someone crop a few pixels off loops of bowel on a static planning CT.

I really hope you can get this published and move forward with this line of research. I'm disturbed by how much people take what they see in Eclipse etc as gospel. The human body...doesn't cooperate like your pretty TPS pictures, even if your CBCT "looks good". 100,000 miles of rivers and all that...

• Haha
I have found Varian's implementation (OSMS) to be very flaky. It tracks respiration but it gives a lot more error than RPM in my experience. For intracranial linac based SRS I use 1 mm PTV margin. The OSMS system in some patients has no issue, and then on other patients it's just all over the place and often reading 1.5 mm or more even when there is no movement. So I am constantly kicking the couch back to neutral and sometimes doing the cone beam again to verify that OSMS isn't just giving a flaky measurement again.
Microsoft killed the Kinect for a reason.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Meanwhile, I die every time I watch someone crop a few pixels off loops of bowel on a static planning CT.

I really hope you can get this published and move forward with this line of research. I'm disturbed by how much people take what they see in Eclipse etc as gospel. The human body...doesn't cooperate like your pretty TPS pictures, even if your CBCT "looks good". 100,000 miles of rivers and all that...

Ignorance is bliss! kinda like checking the last film on a patient that completed their treatment... sometimes I don’t want to know!

• Haha
Ignorance is bliss! kinda like checking the last film on a patient that completed their treatment... sometimes I don’t want to know!
That’s why like to fractionate and add some margin. Errors average out, Even if there is some sort of quantum nonlocality where the tumor is simultaneously at two different locations.

• Haha
How often do you shift?

not “often” as all staff are excellent but sometimes there are shifts and we are happy it was caught. Physics dept has unpublished data that it is better. Im sure others do as well.

That’s why like to fractionate and add some margin. Errors average out, Even if there is some sort of quantum nonlocality where the tumor is simultaneously at two different locations.

Schrodinger’s cat of lung lesions. It is known thing in some circles!

• Haha
I don't understand how a second CBCT helps much in almost any circumstance. It's not just motion, but the time domain of motion. A cough, jerk, patient freak out, fart or muscle spasm is going to result in a change in position in the sub-second time domain. To the extent that these events result in a static shift in position (which they probably usually don't), one could argue that if you detect in a mid treatment CBCT, you lessen the fraction of treatment delivered out of position? It would seem to me that gated imaging, even by a proxy body location, fiducial or transducer that has shown good correlation to the target makes more sense?

Can anybody tell me how the cyberknife algorithm for adjusting treatment based on interval orthogonal kvs actually works? I would think there has to be a significant delay (of a physiologically meaningful amount of time) between aquisition of a given image and the ability to adjust the LINAC.

not “often” as all staff are excellent but sometimes there are shifts and we are happy it was caught. Physics dept has unpublished data that it is better. Im sure others do as well.

Would encourage them to publish.... lots of 'unpublished data' that X is better, but the concept not once has made sense to me.

I don't understand how a second CBCT helps much in almost any circumstance. It's not just motion, but the time domain of motion. A cough, jerk, patient freak out, fart or muscle spasm is going to result in a change in position in the sub-second time domain. To the extent that these events result in a static shift in position (which they probably usually don't), one could argue that if you detect in a mid treatment CBCT, you lessen the fraction of treatment delivered out of position? It would seem to me that gated imaging, even by a proxy body location, fiducial or transducer that has shown good correlation to the target makes more sense?

Can anybody tell me how the cyberknife algorithm for adjusting treatment based on interval orthogonal kvs actually works? I would think there has to be a significant delay (of a physiologically meaningful amount of time) between aquisition of a given image and the ability to adjust the LINAC.

In all the Accuray platforms you choose how often the orthog device images and corrects for movement, the vest is used to create the algorithm

In all the Accuray platforms you choose how often the orthog device images and corrects for movement, the vest is used to create the algorithm
In practicality, how often is this done? Respiratory cycle~3 seconds. Can the LINAC arm adjust in the sub-second domain?

A cough, jerk, patient freak out, fart or muscle spasm is going to result in a change in position in the sub-second time domain. To the extent that these events result in a static shift in position (which they probably usually don't)
I mean, when I really have to fart I'm kind of tense. Then after I fart, I can relax, and may shift my static position. At least it feels that way!

• Haha
In practicality, how often is this done? Respiratory cycle~3 seconds. Can the LINAC arm adjust in the sub-second domain?

it depends, the more orthogs per minute you take to check the fiducial locking and position, the more dose you give but i have seen in practice wide ranges from other physicians from imaging multiple times a minute to once every few minutes. Depends on how much movement you think there is and how long you want the patient on the table lol

I mean, when I really have to fart I'm kind of tense. Then after I fart, I can relax, and may shift my static position. At least it feels that way!

Not only that, but the pre-fart adrenaline will dilate the tumors blood supply, and allow for greater oxygenation and free radical creation. As long as treatment occurs pre- and not post-fart. Perhaps someone can study what happens during the act.

• Haha
Not only that, but the pre-fart adrenaline will dilate the tumors blood supply, and allow for greater oxygenation and free radical creation. As long as treatment occurs pre- and not post-fart. Perhaps someone can study what happens during the act.

I think this is being studied in an upcoming ARCON follow-up trial. High hopes!

Is there a rational for a cbct during treatment if you are using infrared surface guidance/monitoring?

not all motion is external

On my last cardiac case, I shifted between arcs because the diaphragm shifted due to a change in gastric distension

it depends, the more orthogs per minute you take to check the fiducial locking and position, the more dose you give but i have seen in practice wide ranges from other physicians from imaging multiple times a minute to once every few minutes. Depends on how much movement you think there is and how long you want the patient on the table lol
Thanks. I've always been sketched out by the Cyberknife real time imaging model. This is not helping me.

Thanks. I've always been sketched out by the Cyberknife real time imaging model. This is not helping me.

similarly how dosimetry with electrons has unknowns but we know that it clinically works, CK clinically works and im not aware of any doubts in algorithm and concern that you are not really hitting the target. i do agree theres some “unknowns” in the deeper levels of the algorithm.
Most of STARS/ROSEL were treated with CK, i believe.

similarly how dosimetry with electrons has unknowns but we know that it clinically works, CK clinically works and im not aware of any doubts in algorithm and concern that you are not really hitting the target. i do agree theres some “unknowns” in the deeper levels of the algorithm.
Most of STARS/ROSEL were treated with CK, i believe.
Agree with you entirely. Most of our stereotactic approaches already work quite well and penumbra helps. ITV plus margin with one CBCT reasonable to me for pretty much all body SBRT.

The short version is that it is not quite as real time as advertised. In practice, most people image every 20 seconds or so but it is not responding to individual images in real time. It generates an algorithm and then will update it based on predetermined accuracy metrics. If there are too many "failures" it will pause treatment while it recalculates the algorithm.

I have used a CK. I have an MR linac now and do a lot of KV-based SBRT. My personal bias is that many, many of the techniques people do to improve treatment accuracy guarantee longer treatment times that increase the probability of having significant intrafraction variability. They might make the operator feel more comfortable, but at some point we are just trading one source of error for another. Rules are always the same: think about your most likely sources of error (inter vs intra fraction etc) or complications and choose the modality that best addresses your concerns.

Reactions: 5 users
Internal movement. I'd imagine pancreas may be an issue.

Trials are running now with a single fraction as definive treatment for prostate cancer. Would you be comfortable in treating that without checking anatomy half way through treatment, if you didn't have 2D images of fiducials (--> brainlab) or electromagnetic fiducials (--> calypso)?

Internal movement. I'd imagine pancreas may be an issue.

Trials are running now with a single fraction as definive treatment for prostate cancer. Would you be comfortable in treating that without checking anatomy half way through treatment, if you didn't have 2D images of fiducials (--> brainlab) or electromagnetic fiducials (--> calypso)?

I'm not going to be comfortable treating prostate ca in a single fraction until we have 8-10 years of follow-up data, so who knows what tech we will have then.

This is the rub. If you were concerned about intrafraction motion, and you made some assumptions (dose rate same, likelihood of the catastrophic fart roughly uniform over tx time, beam time roughly 5x as long) an equivalent amount of imaging to present prostate SBRT practice would be five!!!! cbcts during that single fraction.

These assumptions are wrong. You keep a patient on the table longer, probably more likely to have that catastrophic fart (I'm guessing uncontrolled flatulance more likely at the end of a long treatment).

Those extremely rare catastrophic events where the whole team messes up the single fraction treatment and blows a hole in the rectum that forms years later will of course be rare enough that they will not show up on a non-inferiority trial. I fully expect acute toxicity to be a bit worse with single fraction treatment.

That single fraction trial only makes sense to me in one circumstance. Namely, if single fraction treatment allowed you to treat more of the population in need because 5 fraction treatment was straining your health care system. This is laughable.

That 2nd CBCT might only possibly make sense for single fraction treatment. In the most impactful scenario, where you shift based on your intrafraction conebeam and no other target movement occurs in the back half of treatment, you have impacted half of your treatment. I'm guessing that the shift rate is low (I'm guessing less than once per treatment course per patient) and shifts are often within PTV accomodation, so even for 5 fraction treatment the benefit becomes very small.

This is the rub. If you were concerned about intrafraction motion, and you made some assumptions (dose rate same, likelihood of the catastrophic fart roughly uniform over tx time, beam time roughly 5x as long) an equivalent amount of imaging to present prostate SBRT practice would be five!!!! cbcts during that single fraction.

These assumptions are wrong. You keep a patient on the table longer, probably more likely to have that catastrophic fart (I'm guessing uncontrolled flatulance more likely at the end of a long treatment).

Those extremely rare catastrophic events where the whole team messes up the single fraction treatment and blows a hole in the rectum that forms years later will of course be rare enough that they will not show up on a non-inferiority trial. I fully expect acute toxicity to be a bit worse with single fraction treatment.

That single fraction trial only makes sense to me in one circumstance. Namely, if single fraction treatment allowed you to treat more of the population in need because 5 fraction treatment was straining your health care system. This is laughable.

That 2nd CBCT might only possibly make sense for single fraction treatment. In the most impactful scenario, where you shift based on your intrafraction conebeam and no other target movement occurs in the back half of treatment, you have impacted half of your treatment. I'm guessing that the shift rate is low (I'm guessing less than once per treatment course per patient) and shifts are often within PTV accomodation, so even for 5 fraction treatment the benefit becomes very small.
Here's my own in-clinic data on about ~26 CaP patients, ~96 randomly selected fractions, and this is the measured total drift after ~10 minutes on the table (do a match to fiducials, treat, and then re-image and re-match to measure intrafx motion). In any single dimension the drift is 0-1mm 90-95% of the time. But the overall total 3D drift (what you'd need to look at for PTV creation e.g.) is >2mm 20% of the time and >3mm ~5% of the time. I agree the benefit is likely small for a population (of either patients, or fractions, or both), but the NNT to catch a clinically significant drift may be "only" 50. And for that 1/50 fraction, whether it be ~2Gy or 10+Gy, a re-IGRT might lead to a meaningful correction. And heck we engage in NNT>=50 maneuvers in rad onc all the time.

(Watching election results and posting to SDN late to keep mind otherwise occupied)

uR1PCQU.png

Last edited:
Here's my own in-clinic data on about ~26 CaP patients, ~96 randomly selected fractions, and this is the measured total drift after ~10 minutes on the table (do a match to fiducials, treat, and then re-image and re-match to measure intrafx motion). In any single dimension the drift is 0-1mm 90-95% of the time. But the overall total 3D drift (what you'd need to look at for PTV creation e.g.) is >2mm 20% of the time and >3mm ~5% of the time. I agree the benefit is likely small for a population (of either patients, or fractions, or both), but the NNT to catch a clinically significant drift may be "only" 50. And for that 1/50 fraction, whether it be ~2Gy or 10+Gy, a re-IGRT might lead to a meaningful correction. And heck we engage in NNT>=50 maneuvers in rad onc all the time.

(Watching election results and posting to SDN late to keep mind otherwise occupied)

uR1PCQU.png
How do you know that the 1 mm drift is real. When dealing with mm measurements, could this just be part of the variability in taking multiple measurements? If I measured a stable phantom to the mm fifty times wouldn’t I make some “errors”and get some “drift” in a couple cases?

I did not advocate single-fraction as definite treatment for prostate cancer. I was merely making the point in what scenario internal movement would be a limiting factor in safely applying SBRT.