Saving Money while in Oz (off topic) but hey..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redshifteffect

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

just thought i would let you guys know about a little program I've been trialing for the last 6 mons to save me a bit of cash. Most of you have probably heard about VoIP...? Well there's a program out there called skype (www.skype.com) that provides excellent voice quality to call your friends and family back home. I've been using it to call Canada for the last 6 mons or so and have pretty much eliminated using a normal phone.

It works alright over dial up, but it is best over broadband. Getting a decent broadband service is quite affordable now even with telstra!

Anyone else got any money saving tips?

P.S. if you don't mind investing a bit of money check out www.cuphone.com - i bought their usb to rj11 adaptor and i have plugged in a cordless phone to my skype! it's great because a) their hardware comes with software that lets you dial landlines (and mobiles in Canada and US) in canada,us,oz,nz,uk etc. etc. for 10 mins (then hangs up and you redial) so basically for those friends/fam that don't have skype i can talk to them directly on their phone!

Members don't see this ad.

I found calling cards from 7-11 where a really cheap way of calling home - $5 would last me 6 months!