Salary for 7on/7off?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

McPoyle

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey group, I’m looking at leaving academics and curious what kind of salaries and benefits people are seeing for 7/7 schedules. Generally I am looking at hospital employed positions with large systems covering multiple units (ie CVICU, MICU, SICU, etc). Maybe someone has MGMA data?

Members don't see this ad.

MGMA 2021 median is ~450k. If you are looking for money, consider locum which pays about double.

Thanks for the response, locums has been appealing for the money… not sure about the burden of travel with a young family though. Was thinking of a hybrid type thing, like 0.5FTE locally and then do CCM/anesthesia locums a week a month as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the response, locums has been appealing for the money… not sure about the burden of travel with a young family though. Was thinking of a hybrid type thing, like 0.5FTE locally and then do CCM/anesthesia locums a week a month as well.

Not a bad idea. Could be done.

MGMA 2021 median is ~450k. If you are looking for money, consider locum which pays about double.
DOUBLE? For CCM 7 on 7 off locum work? Holy crap. I wonder if this pay lasts for another 5-6 years

$400/h is out there - and hear this: 1.5x ($600/h) for holidays. It’s not going to stay like this forever.
NGL - seeing numbers like these made me hesitant to take a full time position but I felt like it would be really unusual to go directly to locums from fellowship, and I thought maybe it would be better to have a single job to get comfortable as a new attending...but I wonder if I'm going to regret that decision in a few years.

Reactions: 1 user
NGL - seeing numbers like these made me hesitant to take a full time position but I felt like it would be really unusual to go directly to locums from fellowship, and I thought maybe it would be better to have a single job to get comfortable as a new attending...but I wonder if I'm going to regret that decision in a few years.
Read through the forum, people here think that in a few years you'll be paid in taco bill gift cards if you want to be hired over a nurse practitioner supervising unit clerks writing notes on 100 critically ill patients.

Reactions: 2 users
Read through the forum, people here think that in a few years you'll be paid in taco bill gift cards if you want to be hired over a nurse practitioner supervising unit clerks writing notes on 100 critically ill patients.

Dammit I was hoping for Wendy’s gift cards. ThE sKy Is FaLlInG!

I'm Canadian trained/citizenship etc....how hard would it be to find locums in the US? I have my USMLEs and ABIM certifications

I'm Canadian also. Lots of locum opportunities out there. It will come down to whether you are a US citizen or have a green card. Can't do locums on a visa.

Damn, too bad...no green card or citizenship and I would need a work visa. Why don't they allow locums to get visas?

Most commonly physicians work on H1b which is tied to a singular employer (even the work location is specifically defined in the visa). In locums, one isn't an employee and it generally involves being a "free agent" so H1b wouldn't work. There may be other options but it is hard to say without knowing your exact circumstances. Having personally gone through it, I can tell you that the visa stuff is a lot. If you are seriously considering coming to the US, you should talk to an immigration attorney about what it would involve.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey group, I’m looking at leaving academics and curious what kind of salaries and benefits people are seeing for 7/7 schedules. Generally I am looking at hospital employed positions with large systems covering multiple units (ie CVICU, MICU, SICU, etc). Maybe someone has MGMA data?
Hospital employed, CICU, CVICU, MICU, Neuro ICU. 500k/year + 401K. Can pick up extra shifts on off weeks for ~$2700/shift. No extra bonus for nights/weekends/holidays etc.

Reactions: 1 user
$400/h is out there - and hear this: 1.5x ($600/h) for holidays. It’s not going to stay like this forever.
Where? Please share with and help the group. Not necessarily for me as I am
Gonna be focusing on anesthesia for the next six
Months or so as I am sick of paperwork.

This is NOT true. Not even.

$325/h advertised rate. More with negotiation or urgency of need. 1.5x holiday pay. Located in "middle of nowhere" PA, AL, AZ, MO and others.
1659903925520.png

Is there a good website to find a compilation of CC locums opportunities? Are you limited to locums in the state in which you're licensed or will these companies fast-track different state licenses for you?

So go up from $325 to 400? Hmm…. Excellent negotiation skills.
How common are these jobs? Know anyone making this kind of money?
Yes.

I’m sure I can find higher advertised rates somewhere in my emails. But I don’t get anything out of convincing you. Believe what you want.

Hospital employed, CICU, CVICU, MICU, Neuro ICU. 500k/year + 401K. Can pick up extra shifts on off weeks for ~$2700/shift. No extra bonus for nights/weekends/holidays etc.

Would you feel comfortable sharing region/state? Also, do you get vacation time or is it baked into the 7/7 schedule?

Would it be in my interest to do a 7 on 7 off gig, make 450k and then moonlight anesthesia during my off days as opposed to doing GA and then moonlighting ICU? I do prefer to do more general anesthesia but which would bring in more money?

Would it be in my interest to do a 7 on 7 off gig, make 450k and then moonlight anesthesia during my off days as opposed to doing GA and then moonlighting ICU? I do prefer to do more general anesthesia but which would bring in more money?
Neither of those are great ideas. For a 26 week, 7on/off job, you have no real time off, as your work weeks are 84 hours. You're not going to want to go from one very long week to the OR, then right back to another really long week. MAYBE if you limited your OR time to one to two days during your off weeks, you could do it. The other way, of doing full-time anesthesiology and doing CCM during your vacation weeks, and some weekends off, is also not a great idea, as you'll be working a ton, with little time off, and likely not able to spend enough time in the ICU (unless you join a group that can take 20+ weeks off, and you do 8-10 in the unit) to keep sharp.

If you want to do both, either find those rare combined jobs, or do separate jobs. In the current locums market, you could actually make the most money doing locums for each, committing to a few weeks of anesthesiology here, a few ICU weeks there, and have off when you want.

Or, see if you can find a part-time critical care job (like, one week per month), and combine it with a part-time day-doc anesthesiology job (maybe 26 weeks at 40hrs/week). This may be as difficult as finding a combined position, however.

Reactions: 1 users
So go up from $325 to 400? Hmm…. Excellent negotiation skills.
How common are these jobs? Know anyone making this kind of money?

More than $325 is common, either as salary or as an hourly rate with insurance payments added.

However, I think 7/7 (especially, as most require nights) is problematic for most CCM docs for more than five years or so.

HH