MD & DO Safe to do summer research at NYU Grossman/Langone in Manhattan midtown??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentistScientist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My sister is a MS1 in one of state medical schools. She has extensive research experience at NCI and MD Anderson and has 8 publications. But she is only doing MD.

She was accepted to two extramural summer research programs but NIH intramural summer research was cancelled due to SARS-CoV-2 but NIH extramural grant funded NYU Langone summer research was not cancelled.

However, she is Asian and is afraid of current violence happening in NYC. She is thinking about forgoing this opportunity?

What are your thoughts? How to stay safe in NYC?

Members don't see this ad.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user
Overall, that area of the city and it's surroundings are very very safe and diverse. I've lived nearby and say that confidently.

It's unfortunate that the sentiment across the country is so heated that these types of questions even come up, but I completely understand. One can never predict a crazy and/or racist person doing something but I don't think she should forego this opportunity if that's something she wants to do.

Reactions: 3 users
My sister is a MS1 in one of state medical schools. She has extensive research experience at NCI and MD Anderson and has 8 publications. But she is only doing MD.

She was accepted to two extramural summer research programs but NIH intramural summer research was cancelled due to SARS-CoV-2 but NIH extramural grant funded NYU Langone summer research was not cancelled.

However, she is Asian and is afraid of current violence happening in NYC. She is thinking about forgoing this opportunity?

What are your thoughts? How to stay safe in NYC?
I feel like I’ve seen this post 4 times

• Inappropriate
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The area around NYU Langone is fine in my experience (disclaimer: I'm a male). I think what's more important is where she would be staying in NYC and to what extent she'll use the subway. The subway can be... unnerving at times.

She's fine. Also didn't a mod already say to stop remaking threads? (This is extremely similar to two other (1 now closed) thread). If so, "my sister" isn't very smooth lol.

• Inappropriate
  • Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Is this the same thread but on a burner account?

• Inappropriate
Reactions: 4 users
what??? I think there is a misunderstanding. I did not replicate this thread. Maybe you guys saw something similar to mine.

The area around NYU Langone is in the Kips Bay neighborhood and I agree with the others that it is generally very safe. 1st Avenue is literally just a long stretch of hospitals and other healthcare facilities so you mostly see a bunch of students and healthcare workers around.