Sacramento pain doctor sues medical board over probation. ‘Putting my reputation in danger’

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Agast

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I kept wondering what triggered the board to look into his records. I suppose the patient's other caregivers might have complained but whom that was is probably confidential. Could even have been a pharmacist. House of God law # VIII. They can always hurt you more.

Reactions: 1 user
In many states the board will investigate any complaint. So all someone has to do is file it and off they go..

Members don't see this ad :)
This is the same state medical board that had a bunch of opioid orphans all at once and tried to convince doctors to take them on like it wouldn’t blow back on them too

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Sacramento pain doctor sues medical board over probation. ‘Putting my reputation in danger’

I actually agree with the doctor here. It sounds like someone was out to get him. Wonder who he pissed off.
I have never written for methadone in my life . I have no idea who this guy is but I hope he wins. It appears he did the right thing and even lowered the dose off the methadone.

The patient's were never harmed it seemed. He lost his livelihood. They went too far...

Interesting the board's reasoning to put him on probation .
“The Board’s goal is to prevent harm to patients, not wait for it to occur.”

minority report anyone? With that logic, one could say giving opioids at all could be problematic.

Reactions: 4 users
I doubt a PCP would launch a complaint - because then they would have to take over prescribing those narcotics

Probably an ex employee

I doubt a PCP would launch a complaint - because then they would have to take over prescribing those narcotics

Probably an ex employee
They currently have a physician job posting on indeed.com

Could be a whistle blower

Members don't see this ad :)
I would like to see the report itself. There are 2 sides to each story.

These 2 cases may only represent a small sampling of his medical care and were chosen for ease of proof and maybe they reported.

Fwiw, he already has been found guilty of Medicare fraud in 2019....

This is small potatoes. Oh the things I have seen.
Agree.. most people make at least one mistake a month on this scale.. how many prescriptions for high dose opioids tk people on benzos do we see..this whole cancel culture of one little slip up and your done is concerning for the practice of medicine:. None of us are perfect. We have all made mistakes.

Reactions: 3 users
just dont write for opioids unless the patient is dying of cancer.

as far as the LOL with OA? slippery slop IMHO

Meanwhile no UDS requirement for marijuana clinics

Reactions: 1 users
outside of renowned academic centers, who prescribes methadone + BZ
Tramadol at most with BZ
Norco to keep people out of ER
I am anti methadone. I see no benefit for neuropathic pain over other agents and increased risk.
I still believe it is in standard of care with a baseline and yearly EKG and no BZD.
Just not for me to Rx or my patients.

In regards to Methadone/EKG/QTc:
- According to the American Society of Addiction Medicine (ASAM) guidelines and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) recommendations, patients who are prescribed methadone should undergo a baseline electrocardiogram (EKG) prior to initiating treatment and subsequently at specific dosage thresholds to monitor for QTc prolongation (Chou et al., 2014; FDA, 2006). The guidelines suggest obtaining an EKG when the daily methadone dose reaches or exceeds 30-40 mg and again at 100 mg (Chou et al., 2014; Martin et al., 2011). However, there is some variability in the literature regarding the exact methadone dose at which an EKG should be obtained.
- If the patient's daily methadone dose remains stable at or above these thresholds, the guidelines suggest repeating the EKG annually, unless there are other risk factors present that may warrant more frequent monitoring (Krantz et al., 2009).
- For patients on daily methadone doses below 30-40 mg, the risk of QTc prolongation is considered to be lower, and routine EKG monitoring may not be necessary unless other risk factors for QTc prolongation are present, such as concomitant use of medications known to prolong the QTc interval or a history of cardiac conduction abnormalities (Krantz et al., 2009).

it should be noted -

these appear to be whisteblower/ patient complaint cases.

patient 1 not only had positive test for meth, but she tested "negative for all prescribed medications". he reduced appts from every month to every 2 weeks.
2 months later, she tested positive for meth. he made no documented action at all regarding this test result, even after it was confirmed at the lab. he stated to the board that he did such counselling, but his notes only reflected his canned smartphrase used in encounters after that positive test.

with regards to the EKG, he only documented that the patient told him that the PCP had done an EKG in 2022, roughly 6 years after he started prescribing the methadone.

when you read the document, the board seems actually reasonable. he was suspended. he could have had license revoked.

(FWIW, this is very hard to find. and remember, this is not DOJ or DOH. so standards may not be as high)

His documentation sucks, but if he made the patient come back every two weeks for closer monitoring it sounds like an attempt at rehabilitation was made. I fire patients on the spot but I wouldn’t penalize someone else for taking on the headache of a drug addict.

I think this case would be handled with a strong private letter of concern by the osteopathic board and a formal reprimand by the allopathic board here in OK.

when you read the document, the board seems actually reasonable. he was suspended. he could have had license revoked.

It seems like the state is trying to squeeze every last drop of potential wrongdoing out of these two patients, but I assume that's what they do once they decide to go after you. For example, the state suggests it was inappropriate not to refer to mental health after documenting, "...due to long-term [use of] this combination and his personal stress level he is unable to cut down the dose and if he does he will end up in the emergency room or forced to do "something stupid." He does not appear to have any suicidal ideation or planning."

I suspect, and hope, the state decided to investigate this guy due to a pattern of malpractice rather than because someone had an axe to grind. However, as previous comments in this thread have shown, many of these allegations leave room for doubt with the potential to place blame on documentation omissions. I know that, "I forgot to document it" won't help you, but you'd think the state could come up with a stronger case since they presumably had full access to this guy's longstanding practice.

I bolded the only unambiguous allegations I see below.

#3 seems to be the only violation of the law since patient A was on >90 MME, so a 2018 California law requires naloxone be offered. So, he should've prescribed it to remove ambiguity about what "offer" means. This case would be a lot more convincing to me if the state could say something like, "In the last year alone, respondent violated assembly bill 2760 on X occasions."

#6 Patient B presumably was not on >90 MME, since they don't mention his MME in the next sentence.

#7 An opioid agreement seems to be a recommendation by the Medical Board of California. Note that they don't accuse him of not having one for patient A, implying that he used agreements for some patients.

#8 The Board recommends against opioids with benzos, but I can tell you it's not uncommon to see patients in California on this combination.

(1) failed to perform and document an adequate physical examination of Patient A while prescribing chronic opioid medications in excess of 90 morphine milligram equivalents (MME);
(2) failed to take and document an adequate medical history and medication history of Patient Awhile prescribing chronic opioid medication in excess of 90 MME;
(3) failed to prescribe naloxone to Patient A while prescribing chronic opioid medications;
(4) failed to recognize, document and address Patient A's aberrant urine drug test on or about January 1, 2018;
(5) failed to perform and document an adequate physical examination of Patient B while prescribing high doses of chronic opioid medications to a patient with multiple risk factors;
(6) failed to prescribe naloxone to Patient B while prescribing chronic opioid medications;
(7) failed to have a signed pain management agreement in place with Patient B while prescribing chronic opioid medications;
(8) prescribed high doses of opioid medications to Patient B, in conjunction with a benzodiazepine
, in a patient with multiple risk factors and insufficient monitoring;
(9) failed to take and document an adequate medical history and medication history of Patient B while prescribing chronic opioid medications such as methadone, including failing to monitor the risk of QT prolongation with EKG testing.

If this guy is as sloppy as these two decade-old cases suggest, I'm surprised the state couldn't come up with a more convincing case.

remember this is not a legal entity such as DOJ or california DOH. i dont think they did a deep dive into his entire practice, only responded to (probably) whistleblower complaints.

he has already had to settle a fraud investigation - which suggests that he is not the clean cowboy we want to give him credit as being.

and the penalty is a slap on the wrist. he did not get his license revoked, only suspended but it is given back if he does some simple remediation.

At the time of the alleged conduct, Advanced Pain operated pain management clinics in Sacramento, Roseville, and Rocklin. The clinics employed staff physicians and nurse practitioners (NP) who provided medical treatment to patients, including drug therapy and injections. Today’s settlement resolves allegations that Advanced Pain billed Medi-Cal for services rendered by an excluded nurse practitioner under Haddadan’s billing number as if the services had been rendered by Haddadan.

The allegations resolved by this settlement were first raised in a lawsuit filed against Advanced Pain under the qui tam, or whistleblower, provisions of the False Claims Act by a nurse practitioner who worked at Advanced Pain. The False Claims Act allows private citizens with knowledge of fraud to bring civil actions on behalf of the government and to share in any recovery. The whistleblower in this matter will receive approximately $154,860 of the recovery proceeds.

interestingly, the 2 cases mentioned above were also qui tam. wonder if it was the same NP...

this would fit with the timing. that NP probably worked there 2014-2016, saw the medicare abuse, and may have had knowledge of the 2 cases that Haddadan complained occurred in 2014.

so his self assessment that this happened so long ago and essentially should be ignored may not hold as much significance to the casual observer.

Anyone know his prior Medicare fraud case?
he got caught frauding and justice dept had access to enough of his records to turn them over to the Medical Board of CA to investigate further.

Advanced Pain Diagnostic & Solutions Inc. and owner Kayvan Haddadan, M.D. have agreed to pay $860,000 to resolve allegations that the clinics violated the federal False Claims Act by knowingly submitting claims for reimbursement to California’s Medi‑Cal program for services rendered by a provider who was excluded from participation in the Medi-Cal program, U.S. Attorney McGregor W. Scott announced.