RVUCOM Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Don't scare me, Easy C!

Sorry! But Ill play the semantics game right now. Just because spots are offered doesn't mean they are taken. I think most schools OFFER 50 plus Percent of their seats by the end of the year. But be positive! It always works out!

Members don't see this ad.

On September 13 I received this email:

This is to inform you that the Office of Admissions at Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine is continuing its consideration of your application for the entering class of 2011.
I would like to reassure you that your application will continue to be re-evaluated and you will be notified of any change in your status......

I am just wondering if anyone else has heard of someone actually being offered an interview after receiving this email? I know they are very selective about giving interviews because 70% of interviewees are accepted. Thank you and best of luck to everyone this cycle!

Hey guys, I just had an interview here this last week and I must say I absolutely loved it. Students and faculty were extremely friendly, and the Dean gave us a no BS assessment of what we can do & what is expected if we get accepted. Also very accommodating to students with children. Right now this is definitely my top pick.

Members don't see this ad :)
LiAlH4-I am not sure if anyone has gotten an interview after receiving the email you got. The positive thing? You weren't rejected! Last year I was rejected straight up w/out an interview. This year I received an interview. So you are already sitting prettier than I did last year. It is hard being put on hold though...because you just don't know anything. I was on hold at 6 schools last year through the whole cycle and did not get any interviews...but I also wasn't complete until late Nov. So just try and stay positive. You could also send a LOI/updates as time passes so they know you are still interested:)

To the rest of you interviewing this week.....:luck:GOOD LUCK:luck:......

My experience last week was great! A few of the questions I was asked that were not directly related to my app:

What is the toughest thing you have had to do?
What do you think a typical day will be like in med school?
How does your husband feel about moving?

Not tough questions......but just thought I would throw those out there for you all interviewing soon:) PM me if you want more specifics/advice.

LiAlH4-I am not sure if anyone has gotten an interview after receiving the email you got. The positive thing? You weren't rejected! Last year I was rejected straight up w/out an interview. This year I received an interview. So you are already sitting prettier than I did last year. It is hard being put on hold though...because you just don't know anything. I was on hold at 6 schools last year through the whole cycle and did not get any interviews...but I also wasn't complete until late Nov. So just try and stay positive. You could also send a LOI/updates as time passes so they know you are still interested:)

To the rest of you interviewing this week.....:luck:GOOD LUCK:luck:......

My experience last week was great! A few of the questions I was asked that were not directly related to my app:

What is the toughest thing you have had to do?
What do you think a typical day will be like in med school?
How does your husband feel about moving?

Not tough questions......but just thought I would throw those out there for you all interviewing soon:) PM me if you want more specifics/advice.

Thanks for the reply, I am trying to stay positive. I recently got a new job, so I am going to send an update with that information. As far as a LOI, I am unfamiliar with exactly such a letter would contain..any suggestions? Thanks again :)

I was wondering.. since I have to check out of the hotel by noon. I planned on checking out before I went for the interview (8a). Do I bring my luggage with me to the interview or leave it at the hotel? My flight leaves at 5p and I'm a morning interview. I also have the shuttle service so I am not sure if I should bring my stuff with me so that I can go straight to the airport from RVU after the interview. Thanks for any input!

I was wondering.. since I have to check out of the hotel by noon. I planned on checking out before I went for the interview (8a). Do I bring my luggage with me to the interview or leave it at the hotel? My flight leaves at 5p and I'm a morning interview. I also have the shuttle service so I am not sure if I should bring my stuff with me so that I can go straight to the airport from RVU after the interview. Thanks for any input!

I would think they would let you store it at RVU until after your interview. They certainly have plenty of space to do it. The office next to admissions is completely empty... I know some schools frown on this, but I can't see them minding.

Yep, bring your luggage to the school. People do it all the time, not a problem at all. Waaaay better than having to go back to the hotel after the interview.

Thanks! I'm still a little hesitant as I don't want to appear unprofessional. The hotel looks like it's on the way to the airport anyway so I guess I'll just decide when I get there. I wanted to bring my laptop since there is free wifi at the hotel but I might decide against it if I have to leave it unattended.

Thanks again!

Prospective student tab gone in portal.... from what I have read in previous posts I guess I am waiting for the rejection email... :(

Prospective student tab gone in portal.... from what I have read in previous posts I guess I am waiting for the rejection email... :(

Same with me :( I didn't interview, did you?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply, I am trying to stay positive. I recently got a new job, so I am going to send an update with that information. As far as a LOI, I am unfamiliar with exactly such a letter would contain..any suggestions? Thanks again :)

Getting "hold" status letters was the story of my life last year but yes! you can get an interview being in a hold status. I got a few last year and got wait-listed and excepted last year, I since deferred due to life and wanting to go to other schools.

An LOI should have a few key things, Emphasize WHY you want to go to that school more than others. Show how the things you do fit with what the school wants in a student. And let them know what you are actively doing to be competitive, More Shadowing hours, New Job, retaking a class or re taking the MCAT soon. Normally the LOI should not be more than a page, 3/4 is best in my opinion.

Continued contact with the school is great but too much can over due it! By also going to any open house, information meetings they have and then dropping the names of the admissions people you meet in an e-mail to the school helps. Sometimes its hard to do this but look for huge Health Professions Fairs in your area by bigger cities and let them know, "Hey I drove 6 hours one way to meet with you for 15 minutes at this fair. Then a follow up email a half a week later saying ,"I got the chance to talk with Jim with admissions and learned this and that about the school that I didnt know before" ect.... are things they like to see.

A hold status sucks! But its not a rejection. You just need to put that much more Umph into your application!

It will all work out.

suspicions were confirmed....best of luck other applicants! :)

Monday can't come soon enough, I am so excited I can hardly contain myself!

I cant wait either!! What do you think about the program? Any worries about joining a young school?

I cant wait either!! What do you think about the program? Any worries about joining a young school?

No worries what-so-ever. There are obviously little hiccups in getting rolling but they are only a short ways away from graduating their first class. Plus, being such a young school we will get to take part in helping create a school culture and identity which will be awesome!

I was a bit worried too but after the tour and hearing about how well they did on the boards the worries went away. I wonder what time we're going to hear today... They're just finishing the admission meeting as we speak.

It's funny. We spend years studying, getting good grades and MCAT scores. We spend countless hours volunteering, doing extracurriculars, schadowing etc. Finally, when it's time to hear whether or not we're accepted, the minutes seem to drag by waiting for the phone call.

They're in the meeting right now! It was postponed from this morning.

I second this question! I hope it's still today!!!! Has anyone called the school yet today?

I called today because my contact number changed. And that's how I found out that the meeting was in session. The lady in admissions said she was going to email/call after the meeting!

Just got the acceptance call!!!

Hopefully other people are getting some good news too!

nice! what day did you interview? are they calling alphabetically?

Accepted as well. That's a pretty damn good feeling...

Last edited:
Accepted as well! Man that was the best feeling seeing that area code (303) come up on my caller ID.

I interviewed last Wednesday, I don't know about everyone else.

Accepted!!! Class of 2015! WOOOOWHOOO!!! I am so excited I can't even see straight.

Thats so awesome guys!

Ive chosen Rocky Vista as my school to go to and I look forward to getting to know some of you!

I got put on the "high" alternate list... We'll see what that means. I'm certainly bummed. They emailed me and told me to write a letter of continued interest. Any idea what I should put in that?

I got put on the "high" alternate list... We'll see what that means. I'm certainly bummed. They emailed me and told me to write a letter of continued interest. Any idea what I should put in that?

Dang Nate! Sorry to hear that. I would tell them how you would be a great fit at their school...represent it well upon graduation...you like their "application" based learning method...SKIIER...You like their pathway options (rural, international)...etc. Best of luck to you! If you are on the High list, you still have a very good chance from what they said.

Congratulations to all of you. I am new to the discussion and have an interview in dec at RVUCOM. Any input on the interview and interview questions would be excellent. Congrats again and best of luck to those waiting

Congrats to everyone that got accepted! For those that are accepted, are you from Colorado? If you are OOS, do you mind sharing stats?

I LOVE Ms. KATY!!! Been out and about with a smile on my face!

OOS:

sGPA: 3.74
cGPA: 3.78
First: V8/P6/B7 (21O) Second: V8/P7/B9 (24M) Third V6/P10/B10 (26M)

I about had a heart attack when I saw the 303 area code.

OOS (Arizona)

sGPA: 3.89
cGPA: 3.20

MCAT: 31S (10P,10V,11B)

CRAZY day!!!

Accepted at RVUCOM!!!!!!! It IS a wonderful feeling:)

I got home after a long night of celebrating and checked my email....interview at KCOM. Pretty sure I am going to attend RVU though...couldn't be happier!

Good Luck to the rest of you waiting and those yet to interview!

Congrats everyone!!! I love the enthusiasm! Man, I want to go here so badly! Waiting for that interview invite any day now. Looking back in the posts, seems like Mondays are when they hand out interview invites as well.... guess I'll be checking back next week.

BTW, thanks for the OOS stats. I'm from Oregon so that's good to know they're showing us OOSers some love.

Last edited:
OSS. Accepted Oct 18th.
24M, 3.59cGPA, 3.49sGPA

Moral of the story, they care more about an applicant than just their numbers!

So like i mentioned I was put on the "high" alternative list. The reason was that they feel I didn't have a enough biology course. I took bio 1 and 2 with the labs and A&P 1 and 2 with labs... did other people (those who got accepted) take more?

They also told me my interview went well. My MCAT was 25o and my GPA is 3.47. Thoughts anyone?

So like i mentioned I was put on the "high" alternative list. The reason was that they feel I didn't have a enough biology course. I took bio 1 and 2 with the labs and A&P 1 and 2 with labs... did other people (those who got accepted) take more?

They also told me my interview went well. My MCAT was 25o and my GPA is 3.47. Thoughts anyone?

I think there is a good chance you'll get in because you said your interview went well and that's very important. To answer your question--I was accepted and took a lot of Biology courses but, that was also my major. I took Bio I and II, Biochemistry, Microbiology, Cell Biology, Ecology, and Biology Senior Seminar. But, like I said, that was my major. I'm crossing my fingers for you!