Rutgers (OOS) vs OHSU (IS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentalstuden245

Reaction score
School 1: Rutgers * OOS - 4 year tuition + Fees = $306,049 loan amount (living expense paid by parents)
Pros:
  • In state after a year
  • Really liked the faculty there and the campus was pretty nice as well
  • Great clinical experience
  • Got some family there
Cons:
  • Out of state for the first year
  • About 46k extra for 4 years COA (as I was planing to stay alone even for in state school)
  • Heard it can be hard to graduate
  • Heard very competitive to rank high
  • Not sure about specializing rates (would love some feedback, was thinking endo or ortho)
School 2: OHSU *IS 4 year tuition + Fees = $259,764 loan amount (living expense paid by parents)
Pros:
  • In state tuition so for 4 years ill save about 46k total
  • Parents nearby
  • Pretty campus
  • Pass or fail so less stress
Cons:
  • Pass or fail isn't true P/F (they still rank you based on how many 93%+ you get in classes, so if i get 92% its practically same as 70%)
  • Not too sure if its good for specializing (would love feedback on this as well)
  • Heard there are few faculty you don't get on their bad side and they got some internal faculty problems.
Summary: I would really like to specialize and if one school gives me better chance to then I would rather pick that instead of 46k. Any advice on their specializing match rate would be great. Thanks for the help!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
All schools provide equal opportunity to specialize unless its like Harvard or some other ivy. 46k is without interest, with interest it'll deff make a decent difference. You'll be able to specialize anywhere as long as you have the grades and what not. I would pick OHSU if I was in your shoe because closer to home = peace of mind etc and its cheaper. Every shoe has their drama and what not. Just get in and get out.

OHSU you can specialize outta there

All your cons for Rutgers should be enough for you to make a decision

Members don't see this ad :)
Since you want to specialize, and you are already accepted, I would highly recommend mentioning this to admissions staff and asking if they could connect you with a student that has recently matched into your chosen specialty (or one you may be interested in). I did this when I was deciding between two schools and it helped immensely to get the perspective of a student who has gone through the process. They can tell you what their experience was like and help you to find potential pit falls that may be present when trying to specialize at their school, or lots of green lights.

If you get along with this student they could be a great resource throughout school and the road to applying to residency in a couple of years.

School 1: Rutgers * OOS - 4 year tuition + Fees = $306,049 loan amount (living expense paid by parents)
Pros:
  • In state after a year
  • Really liked the faculty there and the campus was pretty nice as well
  • Great clinical experience
  • Got some family there
Cons:
  • Out of state for the first year
  • About 46k extra for 4 years COA (as I was planing to stay alone even for in state school)
  • Heard it can be hard to graduate
  • Heard very competitive to rank high
  • Not sure about specializing rates (would love some feedback, was thinking endo or ortho)
School 2: OHSU *IS 4 year tuition + Fees = $259,764 loan amount (living expense paid by parents)
Pros:
  • In state tuition so for 4 years ill save about 46k total
  • Parents nearby
  • Pretty campus
  • Pass or fail so less stress
Cons:
  • Pass or fail isn't true P/F (they still rank you based on how many 93%+ you get in classes, so if i get 92% its practically same as 70%)
  • Not too sure if its good for specializing (would love feedback on this as well)
  • Heard there are few faculty you don't get on their bad side and they got some internal faculty problems.
Summary: I would really like to specialize and if one school gives me better chance to then I would rather pick that instead of 46k. Any advice on their specializing match rate would be great. Thanks for the help!!!
if you plan to practice in oregon, you should definitely go to oregon
plus it will be closer to your friends/family...