RUSM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theimgsurgeonjr

PGY-2 General Surgery Resident; CA
Reaction score
Hello!

RUSM graduate, current general surgery resident in CA, just joining SDN. Happy to answer questions/give advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
How difficult is it too match into a general surgery residency as US-IMG? and subsequently fellowships?

I would say it's pretty difficult to be honest. As with any competitive specialty, it comes down a lot to your board scores and your letters of recommendations. This last year, I believe we had about 10 people match into a categorical general surgery position with another 15 or so matching into a preliminary PGY-1 position in general surgery (a 1 yr contract, requiring you to reapply to the match the next year). Its not impossible, but you really have to be focussed from the beginning and set yourself up for success by studying hard and making connections in the field.

Regarding fellowships. Theres less focus on if youre an IMG or not and more focus on where you completed your residency (community program vs academic). Some fellowships are more competitive than others (Pediatric surgery, CT surgery, surgical oncology vs MIS, Crit care).

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say it's pretty difficult to be honest. As with any competitive specialty, it comes down a lot to your board scores and your letters of recommendations. This last year, I believe we had about 10 people match into a categorical general surgery position with another 15 or so matching into a preliminary PGY-1 position in general surgery (a 1 yr contract, requiring you to reapply to the match the next year). Its not impossible, but you really have to be focussed from the beginning and set yourself up for success by studying hard and making connections in the field.

Regarding fellowships. Theres less focus on if youre an IMG or not and more focus on where you completed your residency (community program vs academic). Some fellowships are more competitive than others (Pediatric surgery, CT surgery, surgical oncology vs MIS, Crit care).
Do you have information regarding the total class size when you matriculated and how many graduated in your year?
Can you estimate the number that applied into categorical G. Surgery?

Last edited:
What is the timeline for clinical rotations? I started in May 2022 but ended up repeating 2 different semesters. I will be done with semester 5 in August 2024 and want to know what the timeline is after that.

What is the timeline for clinical rotations? I started in May 2022 but ended up repeating 2 different semesters. I will be done with semester 5 in August 2024 and want to know what the timeline is after that.
Your biggest gap will be being able to pass comp and step 1. If you don't care where you end up for rotations you'll typically get an offer within 2 weeks after submitting your step 1 score with the rotation starting 3-6 weeks from the time of the offer.

Reactions: 1 users