Rural Practice and Money$$$

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

percyeye

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I feel like the Optometry board has hit a lull for a while with its usual posting about student loans, schools etc so I thought I'd mix it up talk somewhat about money and other things about rural private practice. It always seem the Ophthalmology board or Dental board always has more interesting discussions than ours.

I graduated from Optometry school a few years ago and worked 1 year in a major city and was offered $115K right out of school to work in a corporate chain. At the time I thought the money was good but seeing full exams every 15 minutes and working nights and weekends I quickly got burnt out. I grew up in the Midwest and the saying is always "go rural" if you want to make money. So I sent out emails to many private practices seeing if anyone was interested in selling and responded to some practice Ads that were selling. I've worked here now for a little over 2 years and am finalizing my contract to purchase half the practice and have a partner that was here originally.

On this search and talking with practice owners this is what I found out; you are probably doing something terribly wrong if you aren't making over $200K rurally and the more successful private practices were doing >$300 and $400K. There was even 1 or 2 that they made just about $500K. And we are taking take home net, not gross. I joined a practice where the owners take home ~$400K and more each year.

Pros of Rural Practice
-Minimal vision plans, and a ton of medical billing which significantly increases your net pay. When you are the only practice around and practice to your full scope your days are packed full of most glaucoma, ARMD, and Diabetes. Some days I look forward to seeing your average -2.00 sph teenager contact lens patient
-Community Influence; you are met with much respect throughout the community and most appreciate you being around. You have the personal cell phone numbers of all the Physicians and ER docs because everyone works as a team around here to help care for these people. People recognize you in a restaurant and smile and wave. Some may think this is bad.
-No weekends, no nights. This speaks for itself. Since I've stopped working Saturdays every weekend still seems like a mini-vacation.
-The money$$$. As I said taking home $400K does a lot for student loans and saving. Also housing is cheaper and we live in super nice house on the nicest street in town for a
-Owning your building. Great tax advantages and the practice pays you extra income. Would highly recommend this.
-Full scope. It sometimes is the wild west out here. Some patients because of age can not travel so you are managing some complex conditions with the help of Ophthalmology via telephone. We rely on each other a lot when patients have to drive sometimes 2 hours for any procedure
-Minimal competition; somewhat battle with online retailers but no Costco, Sams Club, Lenscrafters around etc battling for glasses purchases. Some will still take their script and drive quite a ways for a cheap pair of glasses but really is not much of an issue

Cons of Rural Practice
-My God I miss the city some days. We are somewhat foodies and we do miss trying new places to eat etc. We will take some long weekends and drive into somewhere just for some shopping and eating out. I also feel like my kids may be missing out on some cultural activities and missing out from living in a small town. But again there are pros and cons in living in small town USA
-Again distance, having to drive 2 hours to get to a major airport is a bummer
-Could be seen as pro or con but again depending on the day Ophthalmology is 1-2 hours away. So any urgent need can be dififcult
-Also pro or con; being on call. I'd say half come from patients and half come from the local ER docs. Some are minor but also see some major injuries. But it nice that the ER docs know if it is eye related they can trust us to handle it.

Well hope this was somewhat interesting and let me know if there are any other questions.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
Thank you so much for taking the time to share all this information and your experience! The pros here definitely seem to outweigh the cons, but its not all about the money so im glad you shared your thoughts about missing the city too and making it easier for us new optometrists to decide our ideal station of work. Would love to hear someone's take in working in the city and share stories to make our thread more interesting as well.

If you dont mind sharing, wouldn't buying/joining into a practice cost about the same as your debt/loans? So Is it more wise to join a partnership? I heard if youre earning well enough, then not paying back the loans can sometimes not make a dent or mater much.

Last edited:
I agree with everything percyeye said, but just to add my 2 cents for opto students the rural practices making 300k-400k per year usually require high buy-ins around 450k-even as high as 1 million dollars, which is much more debt in addition to your student loans, but eventually you will still make more doing this than sticking it out in corporate.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Update on Rural Optometry Life

A benefit of being rural in the COVID world is that we are not hit as hard as urban areas. There are cases but we are some what sheltered being far from large populations areas.

The office has been busier than ever and we are doing more revenue the past couple of months this year compared to last year. We have had to expand to more exam rooms in order to efficiently see more exams and hire more staff members. By adding exam rooms we have grown revenue by quite a bit.

We have plans to build a brand new office sometime in the next year or two. Owning land and the office will add nicely to my net worth on top of the tax benefits. The land and building will be much cheaper than if I were to build in an urban area.

A hidden perk of private practice ownership are the cash rebates from contact lens and other lens vendors. As of now I probably get around ~$1000 a month in cash rebates back which is just nice for monthly expenses at home.

Reactions: 2 users
I feel like the Optometry board has hit a lull for a while with its usual posting about student loans, schools etc so I thought I'd mix it up talk somewhat about money and other things about rural private practice. It always seem the Ophthalmology board or Dental board always has more interesting discussions than ours.

I graduated from Optometry school a few years ago and worked 1 year in a major city and was offered $115K right out of school to work in a corporate chain. At the time I thought the money was good but seeing full exams every 15 minutes and working nights and weekends I quickly got burnt out. I grew up in the Midwest and the saying is always "go rural" if you want to make money. So I sent out emails to many private practices seeing if anyone was interested in selling and responded to some practice Ads that were selling. I've worked here now for a little over 2 years and am finalizing my contract to purchase half the practice and have a partner that was here originally.

On this search and talking with practice owners this is what I found out; you are probably doing something terribly wrong if you aren't making over $200K rurally and the more successful private practices were doing >$300 and $400K. There was even 1 or 2 that they made just about $500K. And we are taking take home net, not gross. I joined a practice where the owners take home ~$400K and more each year.

Pros of Rural Practice
-Minimal vision plans, and a ton of medical billing which significantly increases your net pay. When you are the only practice around and practice to your full scope your days are packed full of most glaucoma, ARMD, and Diabetes. Some days I look forward to seeing your average -2.00 sph teenager contact lens patient
-Community Influence; you are met with much respect throughout the community and most appreciate you being around. You have the personal cell phone numbers of all the Physicians and ER docs because everyone works as a team around here to help care for these people. People recognize you in a restaurant and smile and wave. Some may think this is bad.
-No weekends, no nights. This speaks for itself. Since I've stopped working Saturdays every weekend still seems like a mini-vacation.
-The money$$$. As I said taking home $400K does a lot for student loans and saving. Also housing is cheaper and we live in super nice house on the nicest street in town for a
-Owning your building. Great tax advantages and the practice pays you extra income. Would highly recommend this.
-Full scope. It sometimes is the wild west out here. Some patients because of age can not travel so you are managing some complex conditions with the help of Ophthalmology via telephone. We rely on each other a lot when patients have to drive sometimes 2 hours for any procedure
-Minimal competition; somewhat battle with online retailers but no Costco, Sams Club, Lenscrafters around etc battling for glasses purchases. Some will still take their script and drive quite a ways for a cheap pair of glasses but really is not much of an issue

Cons of Rural Practice
-My God I miss the city some days. We are somewhat foodies and we do miss trying new places to eat etc. We will take some long weekends and drive into somewhere just for some shopping and eating out. I also feel like my kids may be missing out on some cultural activities and missing out from living in a small town. But again there are pros and cons in living in small town USA
-Again distance, having to drive 2 hours to get to a major airport is a bummer
-Could be seen as pro or con but again depending on the day Ophthalmology is 1-2 hours away. So any urgent need can be dififcult
-Also pro or con; being on call. I'd say half come from patients and half come from the local ER docs. Some are minor but also see some major injuries. But it nice that the ER docs know if it is eye related they can trust us to handle it.

Well hope this was somewhat interesting and let me know if there are any other questions.
Extremely interesting post. I wonder if anyone could provide input on how much they think that associate optometrists can make in these locations similar to what you mention. I'm also curious as to how a corporate setting would pay you in a setting as rural as where you are at.

Reactions: 1 users
Extremely interesting post. I wonder if anyone could provide input on how much they think that associate optometrists can make in these locations similar to what you mention. I'm also curious as to how a corporate setting would pay you in a setting as rural as where you are at.
You'd be crazy not to pay an associate well at at place like this. Before I bought in as an associate I was making $165-$175K. I'd easily pay an associate $165-$180K a year to come work in our practice. But it is difficult to get associates out in small towns.

Reactions: 1 user
You'd be crazy not to pay an associate well at at place like this. Before I bought in as an associate I was making $165-$175K. I'd easily pay an associate $165-$180K a year to come work in our practice. But it is difficult to get associates out in small towns.
Thanks for sharing! I will have to reach out to you once I graduate in 4 years and see if you are having any difficulty finding anyone! 😛

Fascinating read. For me, the pros absolutely outweigh the cons and I will be looking to practice rurally without fear of relocating.

Any advice for an incoming OD student on how to network with rural practices? I've matriculated at ICO class of 2025 and would love to somehow establish connections that could potentially lead to more post-graduation.

Fascinating read. For me, the pros absolutely outweigh the cons and I will be looking to practice rurally without fear of relocating.

Any advice for an incoming OD student on how to network with rural practices? I've matriculated at ICO class of 2025 and would love to somehow establish connections that could potentially lead to more post-graduation.
There is nothing wrong with starting early. A lot of older Docs or places have the thought of wanting to hire or add another OD but don't want to go to the trouble. You can get on the State AOA site and look at classifieds or sometimes it'll show a list of members with their emails. You can do some research in the area you are looking at and then send out emails to those docs saying what you are looking for. I also know someone who just sent letters to all the rural Doctors and they found and bought their practice that way. Don't be shy about reaching out, overall ODs don't seem to mind.

Thanks for sharing! I will have to reach out to you once I graduate in 4 years and see if you are having any difficulty finding anyone! 😛
I hope ya do! But it always seems like things change in those 4 years on where people want to live. And I don't blame them at all.

• Care
Rural Optometry Update to keep this thread alive and keep potential ODs interested in Rural Optometry

It is getting close to the end of the year so I am meeting with my accountant and going over everything. I'm on track to make $450,000 this year all during COVID time. I have been working 4.5 days a week and plan on taking a couple of vacations this winter. Keep all of this in mind that I have been working <5 years in practice.

When I travel I still miss the city but through my investing with extra cash our net worth is jumping by quite a bit every 6 months. I was hoping to have $1 million saved/invested by the age of 40 but at this rate I should hit it sooner than that. I have student loans and a practice loans but because the interest rates are so low I've chosen to invest instead. I still throw some extra at my loans but I'm not going all in on them yet.

If you want a great lifestyle, no weekends or night and make good money then keep owning a rural practice in mind.

Reactions: 1 users
Rural Optometry Update to keep this thread alive and keep potential ODs interested in Rural Optometry

It is getting close to the end of the year so I am meeting with my accountant and going over everything. I'm on track to make $450,000 this year all during COVID time. I have been working 4.5 days a week and plan on taking a couple of vacations this winter. Keep all of this in mind that I have been working <5 years in practice.

When I travel I still miss the city but through my investing with extra cash our net worth is jumping by quite a bit every 6 months. I was hoping to have $1 million saved/invested by the age of 40 but at this rate I should hit it sooner than that. I have student loans and a practice loans but because the interest rates are so low I've chosen to invest instead. I still throw some extra at my loans but I'm not going all in on them yet.

If you want a great lifestyle, no weekends or night and make good money then keep owning a rural practice in mind.
How rural is rural?

How rural is rural?
It is just a smaller town ~12-15K people in the Midwest. There is a nice hospital and we have enough amenities to get us by. Not in middle of nowhere Alaska or North Dakota (no offense). About 60 miles from a larger town with a shopping mall, small airport, restaurants etc and about 2 hours from a "city."

Members don't see this ad :)

How many patients are you seeing a day? Are you in partnership with another OD?

Just a question, would rural clinics be open to sponsoring Canadian citizens who graduated from the states? (H1B visa)

Just a question, would rural clinics be open to sponsoring Canadian citizens who graduated from the states? (H1B visa)
They could be? I've never seen it. Most of the Canadians I knew either went back to Canada or stayed in the city.

They could be? I've never seen it. Most of the Canadians I knew either went back to Canada or stayed in the city.
Thanks for the response, I am looking to work rurally in the states upon graduation but I've heard that private practices are less likely to sponsor internationals

Hello! I've been interested in working in a rural setting for a while, but there's only so many resources online for rural health, let alone rural optometry. I found this thread, and just wanted to ask a couple of questions.

I've read somewhere that residency-trained ODs are more preferred than those who aren't. Is this true?

What traits do you think are most important when working out in the country? Or maybe a better way of putting it, what traits would you look for, if you were to hire an OD for your practice?

Hello! I've been interested in working in a rural setting for a while, but there's only so many resources online for rural health, let alone rural optometry. I found this thread, and just wanted to ask a couple of questions.

I've read somewhere that residency-trained ODs are more preferred than those who aren't. Is this true?

What traits do you think are most important when working out in the country? Or maybe a better way of putting it, what traits would you look for, if you were to hire an OD for your practice?
I don't think residency trained is needed at all. Would it help? Maybe. But you'll probably see so much pathology working you'll get pretty comfortable pretty quick on most things.

The traits I'd want is just someone open to the opportunity and wanting to practice full scope Optometry because it will be needed. If you want to know more feel free to direct message me.

Great thread …I have been wondering what exactly you were referring to as rural and then I saw on one of your posts 12-15k patient base which seems small but not bad if there’s no big box around.
I find this very interesting, I am doing the exact opposite I stuck to a coastal metropolitan area with a much larger potential base but with much more competition.
I thought that was the best place to be as a new OD go where there are lots of people, now 8yrs in I do well financially but not so happy with the congestion and stressed out people in this type area lol…I’m a family guy and would love to live in a small rural town instead of were I’m at.
And naturally making the kind of money your talking about compared to what I do while living in a pretty absolutely ridiculous overpriced housing market…making more money in a less expensive place to live is a whole new ballgame. I wound up on the northeast coast because it was familiar, really know nothing about the midwest.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Thank you, this is really informative! Can't wait to be an eye doc!