"Rumors" about OMS residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unlvdmd

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To the veterans: is it really true that there are some residencies that go unfilled or are easy to get into with average stats? I have read that on this forum a couple times, as well as heard through the grapvine in school. They say that there are just some places that people will not go because of location/what the program has to offer/etc. I can't imagine that this has truth, but I have heard it a couple times and so I thought I would ask. What gives?

Members don't see this ad.

unlvdmd said:
To the veterans: is it really true that there are some residencies that go unfilled or are easy to get into with average stats? I have read that on this forum a couple times, as well as heard through the grapvine in school. They say that there are just some places that people will not go because of location/what the program has to offer/etc. I can't imagine that this has truth, but I have heard it a couple times and so I thought I would ask. What gives?

After the match, there are usually only 5 or so spots that remain unfilled. Other vacancies occur sometimes when people in 6-year programs decide to do something else (e.g. anesthesia, emergency medicine, etc.), though I think this is becoming less of a problem that it was in the past.

Take what you hear on this forum with a grain of salt. Most of the information presented is anecdotal.

If you check out the AAOMS website, there are 4 vacant positions currently, 3 of which are in 4-year programs.

When you say vacant spots, does that mean they were never filled in the first place? or are these programs already in progress?

Members don't see this ad :)
Vacant spots are usually because someone left or was fired. Unmatched spots are filled pretty easily through post-match "scrambling", because there is always someone willing to go to Deadbeetle, South Dakota to become an OMS, even if the training is not the greatest.

toofache32 said:
................ because there is always someone willing to go to Deadbeetle, South Dakota to become an OMS, even if the training is not the greatest.

Hey, watch it pal, i grew up in deadbeetle, SD.

Wait....I thought you were from Bloated Holstein, WI?

toofache32 said:
Nice new avatar!

Thanks....I figured since everyone else had a new avatar, it was time to come up with a more witty one for myself.

Is that the monkey from Family Guy? Awesome. :D