Rowan vs WVSOM vs NYITCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wafflefriess

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am on the HPWL for Rowan, and WL's for NYITCOM and a state MD school, but would like to establish a preference in case I get off of those WL's. I am OOS for all of the DO schools.

WVSOM
Pros:
Great faculty support & students seem happy
Beautiful area
Good match list
cheapest tuition $54,000 (base) (already paid $3,000 deposit which would apply to this)
Wilderness medicine seems cool
Exams emulate boards
Golden weekends

Cons:
Research not super accessible - I would be interested in a more competitive specialty
Rural area/rotations - I prefer something more urban
4 hr drive away from a support system
Not P/F

Rowan
Pros:
Abundance of research opportunities
Affiliated residencies
Good Match list
Closer to urban environment
Strong alumni base
P/F
2.5 hour drive from support system
golden weekends I think

Cons:
Higher tuition $71,000 (base)
Not confident about educational pathway chosen yet (PBL)

NYITCOM
Pros:
I like the area
Good match list

Cons:
Confused about their attrition rates
Exams not board style
$66,000 tuition (base) plus HCOL
5 hr drive away from support system
Seems like students aren't always happy with how fast the school is changing the curriculum

If tuition was cheaper at Rowan, I'd go there in a heartbeat but is it better enough to justify $20,000 more? I turned down CCOM over tuition which relatively isn't really thaat much more compared to Rowan, so it's definitely an important aspect in my decision. I will be looking into merit-based scholarships. I haven't heard much about NYITCOM so would love if anyone could add further insights on this school as well. I just don't feel super at place with WVSOM, but I recognize it's an amazing place to be at.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Rowan is publicly funded and has teaching hospitals which justifies the price tag to me. I turned down NYITCOM and Touro, even though Rowan is a little more expensive.

Reactions: 1 user
Rowan is publicly funded and has teaching hospitals which justifies the price tag to me. I turned down NYITCOM and Touro, even though Rowan is a little more expensive.
What curriculum pathway did you choose and why? Did you also attend the open house for Rowan? Wish they would’ve opened it to WL’ed applicants so we could get a better sense of the school. What’s your overall impression of NYITCOM?

Members don't see this ad :)
What curriculum pathway did you choose and why? Did you also attend the open house for Rowan? Wish they would’ve opened it to WL’ed applicants so we could get a better sense of the school. What’s your overall impression of NYITCOM?
I initially chose PBL which I do like, but I want to switch to SGL because it has less in-person requirements and more flexibility. Also more frequent testing, so it's not as high-stakes.

I didn't attend the open house cuz I'm west coast haha.... too expensive to fly over.
NYITCOM has all virtual lectures and an overall great reputation! It doesnt have the funding of Rowan and the residency connectedness/clinical sites, so that's why I would prefer Rowan personally. And the location of NYITCOM isn't my favorite. But I think they are very close in ranking overall. :)

I didn't attend the open house cuz I'm west coast haha.... too expensive to fly over.
NYITCOM has all virtual lectures and an overall great reputation! It doesnt have the funding of Rowan and the residency connectedness/clinical sites, so that's why I would prefer Rowan personally. And the location of NYITCOM isn't my favorite. But I think they are very close in ranking overall. :)

Thank you so much for the detailed response; this affirms that I’m leaning towards Rowan! Hopefully, I get off the WL. @Mr.Smile12 You helped me craft my school list earlier in the year in the WAMC post, I'd love to have your input here as well!

Thank you so much for the detailed response; this affirms that I’m leaning towards Rowan! Hopefully, I get off the WL. @Mr.Smile12 You helped me craft my school list earlier in the year in the WAMC post, I'd love to have your input here as well!
Of course! I was on the HPWL and I submitted a LOI and got off like two weeks later. I highly recommend it :)