ROCR / Beckta Podcast

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sirspamalot

Giggity
Removed
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So is ASTRO. Anyone listen to the latest Beckta ROCR podcast? Bru-tal.

ROCR cannot be developed with hidden info and secretive measures by ASTRO leadership.

ROCR requires total transparency, level playing field (no more exempt stuff) and site neutral care.

Hint: Trying to beat the AHA and Major Academic Centers feasting on Protons is about as likely as you winning the Powerball homie

Connie Mantz, nice guy, but dude.. its time to step up to the microphone and speak clearly. Your voice to adhere to fairness, neutrality and transparency could maybe move the rock. C'mon bro!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
So is ASTRO. Anyone listen to the latest Beckta ROCR podcast? Bru-tal.

ROCR cannot be developed with hidden info and secretive measures by ASTRO leadership.

ROCR requires total transparency, level playing field (no more exempt stuff) and site neutral care.

Hint: Trying to beat the AHA and Major Academic Centers feasting on Protons is about as likely as you winning the Powerball homie

Connie Mantz, nice guy, but dude.. its time to step up to the microphone and speak clearly. Your voice to adhere to fairness, neutrality and transparency could maybe move the rock. C'mon bro!
Celebrate In Love GIF by Max

Academic centres feasting on protons to your comment

Reactions: 1 user
Why the hell are they on important boards?
I will have to listen to the podcast.

Simple internet sleuthing reveals that the Dosoretz family are global level billionaires. This is not just a US thing, but an Americas thing. Their pockets are remarkably deep and as such their interaction with capital is completely different than for ordinary people. Bankruptcy law, trusts and every other tool out there favor folks with this level of wealth...a billion dollar loss is not a personal loss. They do have proton initiatives moving forward from what I can tell. They are in fact private equity.

You may also want to gander at old time Elizabeth Dosoretz contributions to Huffington Post for some insight into how the very rich don't have any connection to ordinary people. My favorite is "How one department store saleswoman ruined my day"...google it.

Pay half cash/half credit....wonder why.

Members don't see this ad :)
What is a Beckta pod cast?

Oh cool! Genesis Care! I gotta get in on that gossip! (I am being serious!)

(I hope Beckta doesn't suddenly go missing one day...)
GenesisCare would have to still be in America to disappear anyone.

They ran back across the Atlantic before they could even finish changing the 21C logos on the stationary.

Here's a hint, future global corporations considering getting in this game:

Acquiring the remnants of 21C is like buying gas station sushi at 11PM.

"I checked the sticker, it says today, I think it's fine!"

Maybe it's good sushi.

Maybe you get violent food poisoning.

But you bought sketchy gas station sushi. That says a lot about your character.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
That about sums it up. What was really interesting is the character of the admin people they hired. Just piss poor really bottom scraping low EQ types. Hope they all lost their jobs.

Reactions: 2 users
Probably updating his CV lol

The campaign is over
Meanwhile in happy Medonc land, jobs and pay are plentiful.

• Rate: $500-$510/H
• Schedule: M-F
• Call available if willing
• Shift Details: 8a-5p
• Amount of coverage needed per month: 10 shifts (Monday-Friday rotation)
• Patients per day: 7-8

Meanwhile in happy Medonc land, jobs and pay are plentiful.

• Rate: $500-$510/H
• Schedule: M-F
• Call available if willing
• Shift Details: 8a-5p
• Amount of coverage needed per month: 10 shifts (Monday-Friday rotation)
• Patients per day: 7-8
Sounds about right from what I'm hearing IRL from some who have gone this route

$45k/month for ten, 9-hour shifts seeing less than one patient per hour.

Cool, cool, cool, cool, cool, cool.

Members don't see this ad :)

I listened...It should be on it's own thread or the ROCR thread.

First and foremost, the work put in by Beckta is remarkable. The tracking down of original source material, the analysis...it is just an enormous amount of work and is testimony to his diligence, intellect and willingness to do work that begets little credit. Amazing actually. The guy needs to sleep.

It was a little long and granular for messaging purposes, but appropriate for creating a source of reference material or starting points for a professional investigative journalist. I believe that Beckta can be a remarkable force for change in the field. He needs to package something in 30 to 45 minutes. He has the tools to be a major public intellectual regarding healthcare.

My takes: (Caveat...there is no mid career radonc who is more of a nobody (or out of the loop) than me. Not an ASTRO member for 10 years, assiduously avoided travel and most presentations even during residency and work at a relatively small community hospital away from major metros. I know none of the important players personally, but have had some contact with some ASTRO leaders in the distant past.)

1. Starting with 21c was appropriate, but the soft peddling of the Dosoretz narrative felt strategic to me. I have never met any Dosoretz or Connie Mantz, and they may be lovely people, but I think the sum total of the 21c experience to outside radiation oncology has to be a cautionary tale of PP excess. I find the narrative that expansion begot inclusion of poor behavior subsidiaries outside of corporate influence probably not tenable. My practice took over a small rural clinic run by 21c during their peak expansion period. Physics oversight was very centralized. Practice was clearly very corporately motivated (but not bad). There was an emphasis on maximizing revenue and the contract that they were able to extract from a vulnerable rural hospital would be considered predatory by most smaller practices (and was not sustainable). They did not work to grow the practice, so much as to extract revenue from it. The numerous lawsuits, known political behavior and lack of consequences at the top speak for themselves.

2. The trial Humana/Century bundled model from 2013 is really interesting and from a distance speaks to Mantz's remarkable initiative. As someone completely outside the fold, I am amazed at the integration of at first 21c and then Genesis into academic radiation oncology. You will find Mantz as an author on fairly high profile (for radonc 🤣) database work, DEI work, prostate outcomes work, combined XRT/IO work and value based care work. There is no doubt that the folks at 21c were wicked smart, strategic and understood the full value of creating and maintaining close relationships with big player academia.

The limited term Humana bundled payment trial should be put in context of both how big 21c was at that time and the long known narrative that radical payment changes are impending. (I liken it a little bit to climate change prognosticators who know big bad change is coming but inevitably pay a political price when trying to act within a specific time frame). The limited model provided fodder for academic and policy work and almost certainly was not very meaningful financially.

I agree that Mantz should be pretty forthcoming about this. "We ran this model back in fiscal year 2013 and these are the numbers" type of thing. There are lots of ways to dismiss damaging numbers and the strategic point I'm sure Mantz would make is that the numbers would look different today and more importantly the model must be measured relative to what the alternative is going to be.

That Mantz filed a patent (for a product that will assign a quantitative assessment of clinical reasonableness) is not surprising but is kind of disgusting to me. The fact is, if you have detailed knowledge of a regulatory environment, your opportunity to patent a "product" is remarkable. You don't need a prototype, and this feels like laying claim to an intellectual property "space" by an insider creating that space. I'm a little surprised that Beckta was not offended by the product itself and he astutely noted that guidelines essentially function as such a product in the present day. When you think of the ramifications of such a product, they are pretty horrifying. It is another step in taking away the most powerful and uniquely human tool for making high touch decisions...the narrative. Narrative will be the tool I bludgeon @RealSimulD with when we get on an Evicore call.

3. The ending was strong, but the people that matter don't give AF and I'm starting to suspect that ASTRO may have some effective political operatives. The end run around CMS is the point and CMS itself is a bit denigrated by most. Congress making changes on medical payment models in a lame duck session is more palatable to the populist right than having experts decide how to budget. A republican congress and president may well financially starve or actively diminish the regulatory portions of the executive branch as part of their brand. (See Carson and Zinke under Trump).

4. As @sirspamalot says, "It's all about the money". The shear wealth, number of LLCs and related political contributions of Dosoretz are remarkable and may warrant a podcast themselves. The big academics are just institutionalists at rich institutions. ROCR if of course a model that will preferentially benefit the rich. Interesting as Mantz himself is an author on a paper regarding the disproportionate impact of APM on rural clinics....now, that is virtue signaling.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Great write up.

the long known narrative that radical payment changes are impending

People love to say this and some have been using it almost as a threat this year when they talk to me. Jokes on them, Im employed bitches! But seriously, who has long known? And how much did they know? Hopefully the policy staffers. That's always my question with the convoluted ASTRO inner circles.

The end run around CMS is the point and CMS itself is a bit denigrated by most.

Very interesting take, first Ive heard it! My question would be the meaning of the absolute silence of ACRO and the ACR, and now the survey sent out by ACRO. And how much that matters.

Its just with personal convos among rad oncs, its just hard to see them getting the support needed for a legislative push. Unless they answer questions, I certainly am not lobbying for this with my reps in its current form.

Reactions: 1 users
Very interesting take, first Ive heard it! My question would be the meaning of the absolute silence of ACRO and the ACR, and now the survey sent out by ACRO. And how much that matters.
Re: the CMS thing.

My impression is that a lot of our troubles over the last decade came from the government, and government entities, seeing us as an easy punching bag.

First, to be clear, virtually all specialty-based medicine has taken a hit since the ACA was passed. By design. Literally.

So while our reimbursement trajectory has been bad no matter how you look at it, it definitely looks, uh, less bad? I guess? If considered as a whole? Because the government is trying to keep the physician slice of the pie the same size, but pay primary care more...and make sure pharma somehow keeps finding more and more pie.

But when those New York Times came out in that two year stretch around 2010, which is what triggered "Safety Is Not Accident" and all that jazz, and then the NEJM SGR paper in 2012 with the "300%" budget growth - RadOnc was a way to score political points.

I remember, when I was younger, falling for this trick too. The GAO or whatnot writes a report: "If we do this one small change to this group we're casting in a negative light, we'll save the American taxpayer $200 million dollars over 5 years!"

And I'd think to myself well wow, $200 million dollars is a TON to me on an individual level, I don't even know anyone in my whole town who has that amount of money! Go get em Uncle Sam!

Now when I see that same number, I assume that's what the government spends on like, stickers to give out for free at national parks.

Because we're so small, and ASTRO is good only at aimless bumbling, they can't mount an effective defense, RadOnc gets dinged by some group looking for points, politicians can bandwagon the whole show as well - repeat, repeat, repeat.

At the end of the day, if ROCR or something similar passes - we still need to bill Medicare FFS for like...everything else. E&M, tests, labs, etc.

They can always hurt us more. Who could stop CMS from saying one year, if ROCR passes, "congratulations RadOnc on your new model, we'll help you out further and any E&M codes billed for a patient 90 days before and/or 90 days after one of your 90 day episodes will be considered part of the global period and non-reimbursable".

Since this is tied to 21C as well - one of the many, many, many lawsuits for them involves a lobbyist who didn't get paid his bonus he was contractually owed for doing his job well.

His job was literally to fix something about a freestanding radiation CPT code, and the bill this was a part of passed unanimously in Congress.

The dude's salary was like, similar to the ASTRO CEO's salary. Which, in light of what is at stake...is a ridiculously small amount of money.

Maybe I'm wrong and it doesn't matter if the CMS employees hate us. But I think the largest professional society for a medical specialty would probably be better served NOT pissing off any government entity, if for no other reason than...vibes.

• Love
But seriously, who has long known? And how much did they know?
I don't know if there is anything discrete to know? Government policy initiatives are next to impossible to accurately timeline. I think everyone "knows" that our present fee for service payment schedule is an easy target for CMS. I do think folks with high capital investment in protons are fearful.

Its just with personal convos among rad oncs, its just hard to see them getting the support needed for a legislative push.
I just don't think they need rank and file radoncs to have a legislative push. They need some members of congress who have received XRT at prestige institutions to take this personally. Maybe some celebrities in their pocket. (Or congressman in their pocket....some heavy political donors out there in our field). The Stand up to Cancer model of advocacy. Important people matter more than ordinary people.

Maybe I'm wrong and it doesn't matter if the CMS employees hate us. But I think the largest professional society for a medical specialty would probably be better served NOT pissing off any government entity, if for no other reason than...vibes.
I do think that the people who matter at CMS (your GS13 on up crowd) think that all docs should be getting paid roughly the VA physician compensation schedule. I don't think they feel any sympathy for any doc making more than 300k/year and they don't process that said docs likely are working 4x as much as they are as policy analysts. (This is from personal interactions with a former CMS employee in my family).

CMS should not be underestimated however. It is not full of fools. It is full of smart, policy wonk types who wanted a stable job with benefits and a good lifestyle (remote gvt work...man). They are typically frustrated by political push and pull and politicization of their mandate.

Reactions: 3 users
I just don't think they need rank and file radoncs to have a legislative push. They need some members of congress who have received XRT at prestige institutions to take this personally. Maybe some celebrities in their pocket. (Or congressman in their pocket....some heavy political donors out there in our field). The Stand up to Cancer model of advocacy. Important people matter more than ordinary people.
Totally agree and this drives a lot of my concern.

I don't think ASTRO has this.

They made zero friends with their Jan 6 donor funds reversal.

If they have good lobbyists, they're not being disclosed publicly.

I talk to a lot of people in industry too, and they've heard less than nothing as well.

So either ASTRO is misunderstanding what this will take, or they're letting people like Mantz pull some strings behind the scenes WHICH HAS LITERALLY NEVER WORKED OUT BEFORE. I SURE HOPE YOU'RE NOT DOING THAT ASTRO BECAUSE THAT WOULD BE A TREMENDOUS MISTAKE.

We live in a post-Citizens United world. It's very easy to have very powerful lobbying in a totally legal way.

You know. The opposite of anything anyone connected with 21C has done thus far.

I don't think ASTRO puts this forth without having a path to passing it. I 100% expect this to be passed in it's original form with no opportunity for comment (it's already passed).

ASTRO doing an end around on CMS AND their membership. What could go wrong?

Despicable organization.

• Angry
Reactions: 6 users
ROCR accomplishes:
1. Create perverse incentives to overutilize high-cost, low-value care (protons, most notably).
2. "Protect" reimbursement for the highest capex purchases (protons, most notably), ironically, by leaving them out of the bill.
3. Accelerate consolidation and centralization of services to sites with means to purchase high-cost, low-value capex (protons, most notably) and the willingness to overutilize it. ROCR will even set up the ride and lodging for them.
4. Oh yeah, after 5 years of further cuts, your small practice may see some small bump in reimbursement as it's tied to inflation (spoiler: your practice won't exist).

Astro has become such a Viper's nest of people with giant conflicts of interest promoting stuff for their benefit everyone else be damned.

The ROCR has been a complete debacle since its was released for the variety of reasons already mentioned above. Now that Astro also feels the need to make various statements on various political issue of the day completely unrelated anything rad onc, I don't think there is much or really any chance this gets through congress and signed into law unless maybe its buried into some giant ombudsman spending bill that no one has read.

• Love
My question would be the meaning of the absolute silence of ACRO and the ACR, and now the survey sent out by ACRO. And how much that matters.
Hopefully that survey at-least sheds light on some aspects of case rate payments that have consensus vs others that don't. Do most rad oncs support the broad idea of a case-rate model?

• Love
Hopefully that survey at-least sheds light on some aspects of case rate payments that have consensus vs others that don't. Do most rad oncs support the broad idea of a case-rate model?
I know that survey is ACRO but I suspect ASTRO doesn't really care what it's membership thinks about the issue. If they did then they wouldn't create in secret and then ask for support without details

I know that survey is ACRO but I suspect ASTRO doesn't really care what it's membership thinks about the issue. If they did then they wouldn't create in secret and then ask for support without details
Nor host a Friday afternoon/evening webinar with no chance for live interaction, only addressing pre-screened "questions".

ASTRO 100% doesn't care what you think of this. It's going to be rammed down our throats.

CMS should not be underestimated however. It is not full of fools. It is full of smart, policy wonk types who wanted a stable job with benefits and a good lifestyle (remote gvt work...man). They are typically frustrated by political push and pull and politicization of their mandate.
This is what scares me... smart policy wonk types at CMS who know squat about medicine in general or radiation oncology in particular.

Nor host a Friday afternoon/evening webinar with no chance for live interaction, only addressing pre-screened "questions".

ASTRO 100% doesn't care what you think of this. It's going to be rammed down our throats.
This is what scares me... smart policy wonk types at CMS who know squat about medicine in general or radiation oncology in particular.
This is why everyone should be alarmed.

This is not the behavior of an organization that truly cares about "stakeholder input".

But it needs to be said - ASTRO, in and of itself, has no thoughts or actions. It's an entity.

So the more precise language would be that the behavior of a small number of individuals who happen to be in certain positions within ASTRO are co-opting the name and reputation of the organization to further their own goals.

It doesn't have to be this way forever. I mean, by definition, unless there's some immortality elixir they drink, it literally can't be this way forever.

But just like ASTRO doesn't care about our input, we don't have to care about using them to speak to Congress, should this actually be introduced as a bill to vote on.

ASTRO is used to the "rank-and-file" just ultimately quietly letting them do whatever they want. And they're used to that because it's what usually happens.

But given the stakes of what is being proposed, if ASTRO thinks there's been division and turmoil thus far, they're really not going to appreciate what happens next.

OR

They could just...engage with stakeholders. Like normal.

But given the stakes of what is being proposed, if ASTRO thinks there's been division and turmoil thus far, they're really not going to appreciate what happens next.
What would happen next? It'd be the law of the land and those who wanted it in place would be happy and everyone else would stomp their feet and at-worst quit ASTRO.

The political path is too arduous for a poorly run society to jam this through without support of ACRO and ACR and the general RO public.

This is dead. I said it months ago. Can't put lipstick on this pig.

It will 100% not go through.

In fact, I think when it fails, we are going to forget about case rates for a while.

• Haha
It's so weird to me that people think you need a coalition of rad oncs and professional societies to push this through congress. Maybe that's how CMS operates, but this is congress. All you need is enough money and one congressman willing to push to attach this to some larger piece of must-pass legislation. Boom. It's done.

Reactions: 8 users
I think it's particularly comical that one would think ACRO or ACR matter. come on.

I think it's sad we can't figure out some type of APM system. the time to move beyond fraction number was years ago.

Stakeholders. I do not think it means what you hope it means.. as it pertains to your regular radoncs. This is what your average "stakeholder" looks like to ASTRO leadership...

jesus pain GIF by South Park

• Haha
It's so weird to me that people think you need a coalition of rad oncs and professional societies to push this through congress. Maybe that's how CMS operates, but this is congress. All you need is enough money and one congressman willing to push to attach this to some larger piece of must-pass legislation. Boom. It's done.
The same is true for the opposite.

All you need is money and a Congressman to torpedo it.

All you need is enough money and one congressman
I agree.

I know nothing, but I think this may explain the peculiar time frame and cursory feedback period. The people doing the ASTRO advocacy think they have a window...and they are making an executive decision to proceed.

Just a hypothetical....

Bajaj treats congressman X (or significant other or child) with proton therapy at INOVA. Bajaj is charming and establishes fabulous rapport. Outcome is good. Relationship is deep. Congressman states, "whatever you need from our end to preserve Proton availability for the public going forward, just let me know."

We are off to the races.

I like making up stories.

Join Luh has spoken - ROCR is a WIN for community rad onc (per him)

he should come on the accelerators to discuss. It seems like many/most respect him.

ROCR =

Radically Obliterating Community Radoncs.

Ain't no way there is any backing for ROCR except by those who stand to gain: FFS Exempt and Major Academic Centers. For everyone else, its crap city.

All you need is money and a Congressman to torpedo it.
Who is the lobby against Radiation Oncology Case Rates providing this money? Who is the congressman who will stand to torpedo cancer care in America?

I guess SDN could crowdfund a pittance to offer up.

Join Luh has spoken - ROCR is a WIN for community rad onc (per him)

he should come on the accelerators to discuss. It seems like many/most respect him.

He was just recently on the show. We intentionally did not discuss ROCR because we did not feel it would be constructive. Also, the timing was not good just with some recent ASTRO episodes on Accelerators and Beckta's work on Out Of The Basement. I can't speak for him, but he mentioned he is seeking some changes to ROCR.

Its a good episode. I greatly respect him but do not plan to take the same approach to advocacy through ASTRO as he has; I just think it's not a good idea to work with these people personally. Going the state society route and some other efforts.

But he is super awesome and one of my favorite people in this field, so I hope everyone listens and finds their own way to contribute to our field.

Who is the lobby against Radiation Oncology Case Rates providing this money? Who is the congressman who will stand to torpedo cancer care in America?

I guess SDN could crowdfund a pittance to offer up.
In the best case scenario, this question doesn't need answering.

But if ASTRO truly decides to do this solo, thinking there will be no opposition because there never has been before, it certainly won't be boring.

Theoretically, the skeleton of this lobby already exists.

Theoretically.

He was just recently on the show. We intentionally did not discuss ROCR because we did not feel it would be constructive. Also, the timing was not good just with some recent ASTRO episodes on Accelerators and Beckta's work on Out Of The Basement. I can't speak for him, but he mentioned he is seeking some changes to ROCR.

Its a good episode. I greatly respect him but do not plan to take the same approach to advocacy through ASTRO as he has; I just think it's not a good idea to work with these people personally. Going the state society route and some other efforts.

But he is super awesome and one of my favorite people in this field, so I hope everyone listens and finds their own way to contribute to our field.

That’s unfortunate that ROCR was not discussed. I’m surprised you felt it wouldn’t be constructive.

It seems to me that it doesn’t fit one’s priors for Join Luh to be a big proponent of ROCR, which is exactly why it would be great to hear his thoughts, but fair enough

That’s unfortunate that ROCR was not discussed. I’m surprised you felt it wouldn’t be constructive.

It seems to me that it doesn’t fit one’s priors for Join Luh to be a big proponent of ROCR, which is exactly why it would be great to hear his thoughts, but fair enough
Luh is not employed.

Luh is not employed.
Wouldn’t that hurt him more?

I’m still going to make what I make and not a cent more or less. The department sees me as part of capital expenditure and so if I don’t hit my base, the tech value I’ve created is felt to be enough.

Wouldn’t that hurt him more?

I’m still going to make what I make and not a cent more or less. The department sees me as part of capital expenditure and so if I don’t hit my base, the tech value I’ve created is felt to be enough.
Rocr hurts employed docs. There is a lot of conventional frac out there and rocr will add a lot docs to the job market, putting downward pressure on salaries.

Perchance we could move the ROCR discussion to its own thread to keep the beloved hellpit thread relevant for readers?

Yea, I guess its too hard to explain all this online in a forum that a certain type of RO may try to use against me in the future.

We get a lot of excellent feedback but it should be obvious at this point that we make a small section of RO very mad. As we all know, this small section of RO acts on their anger by retaliating, quietly trash talking, all the things. You all know this, see bullying thread.

Join is a great dude and the original goal of the episode was to feature him and his career as a rural community RO that is active in advocacy. The inspiration for this show was his editorial on the RO-APM. He was also a guest on our RO-APM show way back.

He was on the ASTRO fake town hall less than a month before our recording. My sense is he was not happy with that fake town hall.

Forcing him to talk about ROCR just a few weeks later on our "controversial" (by some accounts) show is just not fair to him. He also had so much to offer, why waste his good will on that? Everyone knows we think ASTRO sucks for the way they rolled out ROCR and even if he trashed it, its not like ASTRO cares what anyone thinks. There is very little upside and a lot of downside for him, and a missed opportunity to hear about all his other work.

If you want to know what he thinks, just DM him on Twitter and ask him. He is an incredibly nice guy and he might just tell you.

My guess is he is probably at least not happy about lack of reductions in administrative burden. This seems to be front of mind for him, was a central theme of his JCO RO-APM article, and ROCR is an administrative nightmare.

I listened...It should be on it's own thread or the ROCR thread.

First and foremost, the work put in by Beckta is remarkable. The tracking down of original source material, the analysis...it is just an enormous amount of work and is testimony to his diligence, intellect and willingness to do work that begets little credit. Amazing actually. The guy needs to sleep.

It was a little long and granular for messaging purposes, but appropriate for creating a source of reference material or starting points for a professional investigative journalist. I believe that Beckta can be a remarkable force for change in the field. He needs to package something in 30 to 45 minutes. He has the tools to be a major public intellectual regarding healthcare.

My takes: (Caveat...there is no mid career radonc who is more of a nobody (or out of the loop) than me. Not an ASTRO member for 10 years, assiduously avoided travel and most presentations even during residency and work at a relatively small community hospital away from major metros. I know none of the important players personally, but have had some contact with some ASTRO leaders in the distant past.)

1. Starting with 21c was appropriate, but the soft peddling of the Dosoretz narrative felt strategic to me. I have never met any Dosoretz or Connie Mantz, and they may be lovely people, but I think the sum total of the 21c experience to outside radiation oncology has to be a cautionary tale of PP excess. I find the narrative that expansion begot inclusion of poor behavior subsidiaries outside of corporate influence probably not tenable. My practice took over a small rural clinic run by 21c during their peak expansion period. Physics oversight was very centralized. Practice was clearly very corporately motivated (but not bad). There was an emphasis on maximizing revenue and the contract that they were able to extract from a vulnerable rural hospital would be considered predatory by most smaller practices (and was not sustainable). They did not work to grow the practice, so much as to extract revenue from it. The numerous lawsuits, known political behavior and lack of consequences at the top speak for themselves.

2. The trial Humana/Century bundled model from 2013 is really interesting and from a distance speaks to Mantz's remarkable initiative. As someone completely outside the fold, I am amazed at the integration of at first 21c and then Genesis into academic radiation oncology. You will find Mantz as an author on fairly high profile (for radonc 🤣) database work, DEI work, prostate outcomes work, combined XRT/IO work and value based care work. There is no doubt that the folks at 21c were wicked smart, strategic and understood the full value of creating and maintaining close relationships with big player academia.

The limited term Humana bundled payment trial should be put in context of both how big 21c was at that time and the long known narrative that radical payment changes are impending. (I liken it a little bit to climate change prognosticators who know big bad change is coming but inevitably pay a political price when trying to act within a specific time frame). The limited model provided fodder for academic and policy work and almost certainly was not very meaningful financially.

I agree that Mantz should be pretty forthcoming about this. "We ran this model back in fiscal year 2013 and these are the numbers" type of thing. There are lots of ways to dismiss damaging numbers and the strategic point I'm sure Mantz would make is that the numbers would look different today and more importantly the model must be measured relative to what the alternative is going to be.

That Mantz filed a patent (for a product that will assign a quantitative assessment of clinical reasonableness) is not surprising but is kind of disgusting to me. The fact is, if you have detailed knowledge of a regulatory environment, your opportunity to patent a "product" is remarkable. You don't need a prototype, and this feels like laying claim to an intellectual property "space" by an insider creating that space. I'm a little surprised that Beckta was not offended by the product itself and he astutely noted that guidelines essentially function as such a product in the present day. When you think of the ramifications of such a product, they are pretty horrifying. It is another step in taking away the most powerful and uniquely human tool for making high touch decisions...the narrative. Narrative will be the tool I bludgeon @RealSimulD with when we get on an Evicore call.

3. The ending was strong, but the people that matter don't give AF and I'm starting to suspect that ASTRO may have some effective political operatives. The end run around CMS is the point and CMS itself is a bit denigrated by most. Congress making changes on medical payment models in a lame duck session is more palatable to the populist right than having experts decide how to budget. A republican congress and president may well financially starve or actively diminish the regulatory portions of the executive branch as part of their brand. (See Carson and Zinke under Trump).

4. As @sirspamalot says, "It's all about the money". The shear wealth, number of LLCs and related political contributions of Dosoretz are remarkable and may warrant a podcast themselves. The big academics are just institutionalists at rich institutions. ROCR if of course a model that will preferentially benefit the rich. Interesting as Mantz himself is an author on a paper regarding the disproportionate impact of APM on rural clinics....now, that is virtue signaling.

Great post.
I listened to the pod - Its a magnificent effort. It shows how just how deep the rot of this specialty goes.
I wish a lot of the material on the podcasts and this forum were packaged in concise blog format preserved for posterity. Both podcasts and this forum somehow paradoxically become an inaccessible morass - Difficult to search and often hard to separate the signal from the noise.
I would love a blog post with supporting Tables/Figures and original source citations/references detailing the 21C-ASTRO-CMS-Department of Justice histories including highlighting the key players and COIs of the cast of characters (Wallner, Mantz, Dosoretz, etc).
The boomers have sucked the marrow out of this specialty. Im more and more convinced its only hope at salvation is being folded back under the house of Radiology.

Reactions: 8 users