Right Questions to Ask to Assess Viability of DO Gen Surg Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coninuteremedia

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey peeps, I'm a fourth year and ERAS is accepting applications for DO residencies and it's time to try to sort out which programs will survive and which won't. Also, I've noticed that there are 25 DO general surgery programs not participating in ERAS (of 57 total according to ERAS v.s. 59 from opportunities.osteopathic.org).

I realize the best way to do this is to just call the program. What are the sorts of questions I should be asking these programs point blank?

Another quick question: is it better to apply with an incomplete application on time (as it opens) or wait until everything is in?

Thank you for your time and help!

Members don't see this ad.

I'll respond what what I've gathered so far:

There isn't a single general surgery program (according to opportunities.osteopathic.org) that has full ACGME-AOA dual accreditation. There are a few programs that have applied for "preliminary accreditation," and a few who have been granted "continuing preliminary accreditation." There are a few who "intend to apply." Keep in mind that applying doesn't automatically mean accreditation. What one coordinator told me was that while it's possible we'll be unaccredited by the ACGME, it's not very probable.

Bottom line: ask point blank about accreditation status, but first check opportunities.osteopathic.org and the program website for any details on that. They'll appreciate you've done your homework. There are a few programs that will for sure receive eventual accreditation. What you need to think about as an applicant is whether you want to take that gamble. If 2020 is the deadline for programs to be dual accredited, what will happen if you find yourself in one of the programs that didn't make the cut? If you're okay with that gamble/ if you have a back up plan, go for it.

Any additional information would be much appreciated. Maybe we can start a mega thread about this for our fellow DO colleagues. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
The pdf at this link has the most current info for all specialties. It looks like the PCOM program has received initial accreditation and several other programs are in the pipeline – but, being in the pipeline does not necessarily mean eventual accreditation. More info is definitely needed in order to make an informed decision.

https://apps.acgme.org/ads/Public/Reports/Report/18

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile