Rheumatology job prospects

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Have you read his posts? He doesn’t care only about money - he cares about lifestyle too. That’s the point I’ve been making here. You can do well with rheumatology and live a reasonable lifestyle. If you don’t like call and/or inpatient medicine, rheumatology (and perhaps allergy/immunology) are where it’s at. If you want to go balls to the wall and work 90 hours a week doing cards or whatever, knock yourself out - but just know that you can also do that with rheum, and make a decent amount of additional money as well, and never enter a hospital or do call. I’d be miserable doing call and rounding, and more and more docs feel this way too.

I understand that SDN reasoning is usually all about the benjamins, but in the real world there’s more to focus on/care about. Y’all need to broaden your horizons a bit.
It's really good to see there are still other physicians out there that really value lifestyle and it's not only about money. Thank you so much for your input.

I wanted to ask which states do you think would be best to practice as a rheuma? I remember you mentioning in some states it is easier to get auth by local insurance for infusion. Which states would that be? Is there any resources/ website I can access for that kind of info?

Members don't see this ad.

I did. How does outpatient pcp lifestyle compare to rheum? Genuine question because I don’t know. They also don’t have inpatient rounding, work weekends, take call, and salary appears comparable based on mgma numbers
I initially wanted to do PCP as well but came to not like it anymore after a few rotations. At places, you become a glorified referral machine cause your income is mostly tied to how many patients you can see a day (some can see up to 30+), not on the quality of care for each patient.

Also, you have to deal with a lot of non-evidence-based things. It's common in all specialties, but it's the most in PCP.

Also rhema has more income potential. I think MGMA does not really capture all revenues.

Not to mention in rheuma you can get involved with pharmaceutical consulting (biologics are always evolving). But I may be wrong. Maybe the attendings can put more insight into that.

I initially wanted to do PCP as well but came to not like it anymore after a few rotations. At places, you become a glorified referral machine cause your income is mostly tied to how many patients you can see a day (some can see up to 30+), not on the quality of care for each patient.

Also, you have to deal with a lot of non-evidence-based things. It's common in all specialties, but it's the most in PCP.

Also rhema has more income potential. I think MGMA does not really capture all revenues.

Not to mention in rheuma you can get involved with pharmaceutical consulting (biologics are always evolving). But I may be wrong. Maybe the attendings can put more insight into that.
The whole biologic obsession is mostly hot air to be honest. Not sure why people think biologics are so sexy… they’re not. Most of them are for like 3 indications and simply crowd the market instead of advancing the scope of the specialty. They’ve also been around for decades now so most aren’t even “new and exciting.” If anything, rheum is going the way of small molecule medications and not biologics. You know what are actually new and exciting biologics? The new diabetes drugs like Ozempic.

They’re also a pain in the a**. You have to hire staff just to run prior authorizations and fight the insurers. You need to do paperwork to get people on assistance programs - none of which would the clinic be reimbursed. So you’re basically expending resources to enrich the pharmaceuticals and save insurers money.

Can you consult for pharma? Kind of. It’s harder to break in than you think. Speaking opportunities are dwindling as well.

My view of rheum is that we are about to enter another dark ages. Infusions are on its death bed since every new drug that comes out is subcutaneous, oral, or lowly reimbursed. Even with discounts with bulk buying, the profit margins on most drugs are slim. Only two drugs are anything close to a “cash cow.” Ultrasounds are getting cut every year. Injections are whatever. There was the biologic renaissance in the early 2000s but it’s basically over. Research breakthroughs have slowed down again. I highly doubt we see anything meaningful for our bread and butter in the near future.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

You might have to do this in Rheumatology as well since you're targeting the 90th percentile income. I'm a numbers/data guy and I guess I'm just not as convinced as you are. In any case, if you figure it's your calling then go for it. I would also look through job search engines and maybe ask graduating fellows about the offers they're getting.

Good luck!

You might have to do this in Rheumatology as well since you're targeting the 90th percentile income. I'm a numbers/data guy and I guess I'm just not as convinced as you are. In any case, if you figure it's your calling then go for it. I would also look through job search engines and maybe ask graduating fellows about the offers they're getting.

Good luck!
Thank you!
Do you know where I can access the MGMA data you posted for free?

Have you read his posts? He doesn’t care only about money - he cares about lifestyle too. That’s the point I’ve been making here. You can do well with rheumatology and live a reasonable lifestyle. If you don’t like call and/or inpatient medicine, rheumatology (and perhaps allergy/immunology) are where it’s at. If you want to go balls to the wall and work 90 hours a week doing cards or whatever, knock yourself out - but just know that you can also do that with rheum, and make a decent amount of additional money as well, and never enter a hospital or do call. I’d be miserable doing call and rounding, and more and more docs feel this way too.

I understand that SDN reasoning is usually all about the benjamins, but in the real world there’s more to focus on/care about. Y’all need to broaden your horizons a bit.
Do you know any allergist in your private practice? How are they doing now?
I heard job market for allergy is not as good as in other subspecialties, so that kind of scared me away from allergy. But I heard their lifestyle is really good as well.

Do you know any allergist in your private practice? How are they doing now?
I heard job market for allergy is not as good as in other subspecialties, so that kind of scared me away from allergy. But I heard their lifestyle is really good as well.
It’s a good lifestyle. Perhaps @hotsaws can comment on that.

We have a good life in A/I. I was between rheum and A/I as a resident and ultimately decided on A/I. I think both are great fields and it really comes down to preference. If you're considering it, I highly recommend rotating through both as much as possible and, if at all possible, try and rotate with a private practice doc. From what I've heard and read, rheum probably has the better job market but this may be because there are a lot of chronic non-inflammatory pain type patients that PCPs are just waiting to offload to whoever will see them. I'll stay in my lane though and you can ask the rheumies on here about whether that's true and if that's sort of a double edged sword in terms of staying busy.

Allergy job market is tighter because we are all trying to get a steady referral base. It's not like you can just open a practice and be busy. Starting salaries aren't going to impress anyone but the ceiling is high. I would say our MGMA median, once you're a few years in, is similar to rheum. The ceiling is high because we have ancillary income streams in addition to just billing E/M codes. But it's like anything else, you will work harder than your peers if you want to earn more. Most of us work 4-5 days per week and don't do any nights/weekends/holidays and we don't step foot in hospitals. I technically have privileges at a large local hospital but I'm not on any kind of consult list and don't anticipate ever stepping foot in there for a consult. I cover call for the practice very infrequently and it's structured in a way that is very light. Like I might be on for a week and get a handful of phone calls, mostly for prescriptions that didn't make it to the pharmacy during clinic hours or occasionally for clinical questions that can be answered quickly and seen in clinic the following day. All of my cofellows (and the fellows the year above and below me) got jobs in the cities they wanted and I'm talking about nice metro areas with nice suburbs.

The best thing about A/I is that I truly love what I do. This is coming from someone who was very burnt out and cynical by the end of training...like really burnt out with a strong sense of pessimism. Getting out into practice has been night and day from training. I get to help so many people improve their quality of life and I have countless interactions that leave me feeling very grateful. Negative interactions with patients are extremely rare for me. It's really a blessing to get to do this for a living. My advice is that you try to find the light at the end of the tunnel. Find a field that you can see yourself being happy in. Don't get too caught up in numbers. Job markets and geographics matter, money matters, don't get me wrong. Perhaps I'm a bit biased because I'm married to another physician, which obviously offers me financial flexibility (...but double the student loans). I've got a pretty extensive friend group of physicians in various fields and I don't see income being the main driver of happiness amongst everyone.

Reactions: 3 users
From what I've heard and read, rheum probably has the better job market but this may be because there are a lot of chronic non-inflammatory pain type patients that PCPs are just waiting to offload to whoever will see them. I'll stay in my lane though and you can ask the rheumies on here about whether that's true and if that's sort of a double edged sword in terms of staying busy.
This is 100% true more so in major metros. In rural areas, there’s enough real rheumatic disease per rheumatologist to have good job satisfaction. In cities, rheumatologists are basically dumps for PCPs who don’t want to deal with random complaints. It’s not just pain… but the random symptoms of human existence which certain patients simply can’t cope with.

Ultimately, rheumatic diseases are rare (thankfully). So when you have hoards of rheumatologists who want to live in cities, then it inevitably means you’re scraping bottom of the barrel for referrals. I’ve experienced it firsthand and I would never go back to it no matter what the pay is. This is probably my biggest gripe with rheumatology - that one must sacrifice living in a nice area in order to have a tolerable job.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
This is 100% true more so in major metros. In rural areas, there’s enough real rheumatic disease per rheumatologist to have good job satisfaction. In cities, rheumatologists are basically dumps for PCPs who don’t want to deal with random complaints. It’s not just pain… but the random symptoms of human existence which certain patients simply can’t cope with.

Ultimately, rheumatic diseases are rare (thankfully). So when you have hoards of rheumatologists who want to live in cities, then it inevitably means you’re scraping bottom of the barrel for referrals. I’ve experienced it firsthand and I would never go back to it no matter what the pay is. This is probably my biggest gripe with rheumatology - that one must sacrifice living in a nice area in order to have a tolerable job.
I do agree with a lot of this.

In more rural areas, I see less of the fibro dumps and more of the “be my diagnostician” dumps - ie, a PCP either doesn’t know how to work something up (or doesn’t want to put out the effort) and thus it gets shipped to the local rheumatologist. (I will say that the “what the hell is wrong with this patient” consult is actually a fairly common bread/butter rheum referral, and for the most part I actually find these enjoyable and interesting, but when I worked in the south it seemed like every single thing the local NP PCPs couldn’t figure out what to do with eventually ended up getting sent to rheumatology - and that got pretty ridiculous at times.)

That said, at my current job I don’t see any “chronic pain” and if I see a patient on the referral list who is loaded up on a bunch of narcotics, I decline that referral (at my last job I dealt with way too many chronic back pain patients begging for opioid refills - life’s too short for that). I write no narcotics or controlled substances whatsoever. I see a minimal amount of fibro and OA, which helps. It also helps that I have a decent pain management doctor in my current practice, and if a non-rheumatologic chronic pain issue emerges, I make sure that patient sees pain management asap. Probably >90% of my patients each day have real rheumatologic disease. I enjoy that, and I enjoy making a difference in these folks’ lives, especially since the existing quality and availability of rheumatology care in my area was quite poor before I arrived.

Last edited:
We have a good life in A/I. I was between rheum and A/I as a resident and ultimately decided on A/I. I think both are great fields and it really comes down to preference. If you're considering it, I highly recommend rotating through both as much as possible and, if at all possible, try and rotate with a private practice doc. From what I've heard and read, rheum probably has the better job market but this may be because there are a lot of chronic non-inflammatory pain type patients that PCPs are just waiting to offload to whoever will see them. I'll stay in my lane though and you can ask the rheumies on here about whether that's true and if that's sort of a double edged sword in terms of staying busy.

Allergy job market is tighter because we are all trying to get a steady referral base. It's not like you can just open a practice and be busy. Starting salaries aren't going to impress anyone but the ceiling is high. I would say our MGMA median, once you're a few years in, is similar to rheum. The ceiling is high because we have ancillary income streams in addition to just billing E/M codes. But it's like anything else, you will work harder than your peers if you want to earn more. Most of us work 4-5 days per week and don't do any nights/weekends/holidays and we don't step foot in hospitals. I technically have privileges at a large local hospital but I'm not on any kind of consult list and don't anticipate ever stepping foot in there for a consult. I cover call for the practice very infrequently and it's structured in a way that is very light. Like I might be on for a week and get a handful of phone calls, mostly for prescriptions that didn't make it to the pharmacy during clinic hours or occasionally for clinical questions that can be answered quickly and seen in clinic the following day. All of my cofellows (and the fellows the year above and below me) got jobs in the cities they wanted and I'm talking about nice metro areas with nice suburbs.

The best thing about A/I is that I truly love what I do. This is coming from someone who was very burnt out and cynical by the end of training...like really burnt out with a strong sense of pessimism. Getting out into practice has been night and day from training. I get to help so many people improve their quality of life and I have countless interactions that leave me feeling very grateful. Negative interactions with patients are extremely rare for me. It's really a blessing to get to do this for a living. My advice is that you try to find the light at the end of the tunnel. Find a field that you can see yourself being happy in. Don't get too caught up in numbers. Job markets and geographics matter, money matters, don't get me wrong. Perhaps I'm a bit biased because I'm married to another physician, which obviously offers me financial flexibility (...but double the student loans). I've got a pretty extensive friend group of physicians in various fields and I don't see income being the main driver of happiness amongst everyone.
I seem to remember a time not too long ago where A/I was extremely competitive because of the big ancillary potential from allergy shots? Back when I was in medical school, I remember hearing stories of A/I docs making mucho dinero this way. But then this changed at some point?

I agree that ultimately in medicine, the biggest driver of happiness seems to be lifestyle (although I do hear people in some low paid specialties, like peds, grumbling about the size of their paychecks.)

Last edited:
Hi folks,

I am starting my job search and I was wondering if you would weigh in on an offer I had. Academic affiliated in a mid-sized town in the Midwest, low cost of living, base $250k for a little less than 5000 wRVUs goal, after that low 40s $/wRVU bonus. They have a 403b with over 10% of employer contribution/year ( so in fact the base would be closer to 280k). 40k sign-on. No call outpatient or inpatient. The job itself sounds great ( little/no non-inflammatory pathology). Any thoughts?

I have seen very little in terms of waiver jobs close to $300k base if that helps future fellows.

Hi folks,

I am starting my job search and I was wondering if you would weigh in on an offer I had. Academic affiliated in a mid-sized town in the Midwest, low cost of living, base $250k for a little less than 5000 wRVUs goal, after that low 40s $/wRVU bonus. They have a 403b with over 10% of employer contribution/year ( so in fact the base would be closer to 280k). 40k sign-on. No call outpatient or inpatient. The job itself sounds great ( little/no non-inflammatory pathology). Any thoughts?

I have seen very little in terms of waiver jobs close to $300k base if that helps future fellows.
Sounds very similar to my first (hospital) job out of fellowship, where I was way underpaid compared to what I have made since. Academic affiliated generally = fakedemia.

What do you mean by “waver job”? Visa waver? PSLF? My current base is $325k, but I’m guessing this isn’t a “waver job”.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi folks,

Not great but as far as fakedemia goes, I have seen much worse.

If it’s a visa situation then may not be a bad short term option. But longterm there are much better opportunities out there from a financial standpoint.

@dozitgetchahi
Waiver jobs = j1 visa sponsorship. It certainly limits the options initially for many of us. The academic affiliation is loose, it is mostly a community employed practice. They have pretty good PTO and retirement benefits because of the academic affiliation I believe.

Other question I have - how doable is it to get to 90% MGMA productivity (6000 wRVUs in rheum I believe)? Thanks!

Hi folks,

You can get 250k/yr as a hospitalist working half the year, and at your choice of desirable cities. Unless you don’t want to deal with the BS of inpatient medicine. At least rheum has good lifestyle.

@dozitgetchahi
Waiver jobs = j1 visa sponsorship. It certainly limits the options initially for many of us. The academic affiliation is loose, it is mostly a community employed practice. They have pretty good PTO and retirement benefits because of the academic affiliation I believe.

Other question I have - how doable is it to get to 90% MGMA productivity (6000 wRVUs in rheum I believe)? Thanks!
Not hard but you may need to deal with some chronic pain and fatigue.

You can get 250k/yr as a hospitalist working half the year, and at your choice of desirable cities. Unless you don’t want to deal with the BS of inpatient medicine. At least rheum has good lifestyle.
You couldn’t pay me enough to round or do consults.

You couldn’t pay me enough to round or do consults.
To be fair most IM grads prefer inpatient work and rather get their teeth pulled than deal with outpatient nonsense. And I don’t blame them. Inbasket and mychart messages in a city is a fate I wouldn’t wish on my worst enemy.

Reactions: 2 users
To be fair most IM grads prefer inpatient work and rather get their teeth pulled than deal with outpatient nonsense. And I don’t blame them. Inbasket and mychart messages in a city is a fate I wouldn’t wish on my worst enemy.
that's why one hires a midlevel as an outpatient.

it is near the era where my chart / in basket would be charged. Cleveland clinic and several other hospitals have started doing it

it is near the era where my chart / in basket would be charged. Cleveland clinic and several other hospitals have started doing it
how do they do that?

I can imaging you can probably bill a telephone encounter if there is a clinical question involved with a patient

but there's probably nothing to charge for if its something like "PA was rejected. please submit clinical notes"

how do they do that?

I can imaging you can probably bill a telephone encounter if there is a clinical question involved with a patient

but there's probably nothing to charge for if its something like "PA was rejected. please submit clinical notes"
I think they just charge an out of pocket fee if you try to contact the doctor with question. Though I’m not sure how far they go with that.

On another note, how likely is it to start entrepreneurship in rheumatology?

Opening up your own practice (since I keep hearing some areas of the country have a big rheumatologist shortage added a lot is about to retire in the next 5-10 years, so volume shouldn't be a problem)?

After you build up your volume, open up a lab first and then a PT and then DEXA etc

I understand that the first few years won't be as profitable but how feasible is it for someone who is willing to work hard in an underserved area with high demand?

Opening up your own practice (since I keep hearing some areas of the country have a big rheumatologist shortage added a lot is about to retire in the next 5-10 years, so volume shouldn't be a problem)?

After you build up your volume, open up a lab first and then a PT and then DEXA etc

I understand that the first few years won't be as profitable but how feasible is it for someone who is willing to work hard in an underserved area with high demand?
It’s possible but idk that it’s particularly a good idea for most people. A lab and PT is not even worth the headaches and overhead. I had these dreams too as a fellow but once you get out into the real world it’s very different. Orthos have their hands in every crevice of every locale (even rural) and you won’t just have your pick of msk pts you can easily refer to your own PT. A patient with shoulder pain won’t come see you first. They may see you after ortho has referred them to their own PT, performed at least 3 injections and 2 scopes. Then when ortho has no other money making scheme to offer, they refer the exasperated patient to you so you can spend 50 minutes in clinic discussing the futility of most therapies for degenerative pathology and the numerous side effects of daily nsaid use. Medicare will generously pay you $170 for your time, while ortho pocketed about $8000.

Lab is almost a money loser at this point and even a lot of independent PCPs are getting rid of their in office labs. You’ll at most run a few CBCs and CMPs in your office lab which you’ll have to CLIA certify, and don’t forget you gotta pay for the phlebotomist. Everything else is a send out to commercial lab. You’ll be collecting next to nothing for these labs, and you won’t have economies of scale to make it profitable.

dexa is definitely a money loser.

Infusions are done unless you somehow inherit hundreds of infusion patients from a retiring rheumatologist. This is like winning the lottery.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I feel like if one doesn’t have a strict policy about mychart messages and whats acceptable, things can quickly get out of hand. To answer @Renal_Prometheus , I really dislike hospital work and actually like the inflammatory part of rheumatology more than anything else in medicine. As long as I can make a decent living with good work/life balance I am fine making less than my friends who did other procedural specialties, I just don’t look at their grass.

You would have more patients as a pcp, if your goal is to open PT and labs.

I feel like if one doesn’t have a strict policy about mychart messages and whats acceptable, things can quickly get out of hand. To answer @Renal_Prometheus , I really dislike hospital work and actually like the inflammatory part of rheumatology more than anything else in medicine. As long as I can make a decent living with good work/life balance I am fine making less than my friends who did other procedural specialties, I just don’t look at their grass.
Hospitals in metro areas do not have a strict policy about my chart messages. Granted we will see what happens from the whole charging for online messages rule that Cleveland Clinic implemented. But as a general rule, your well being is not their concern.

I like inflammatory pathology too, but it’s rare. If you want to live in a nice area, you won’t be getting to see those patients. You will get the common complaints: chronic non inflammatory pain, fatigue, malaise, intermittent paresthesias and rashes, etc. These are the patients that will message you weekly expecting a lengthy response. They will take a ton of your time in clinic and may bring a huge stack of records and pictures. They will have a notebook which they have chronicled their symptoms and they expect you to listen to each and every entry. They may even be belligerent depending on how convinced they are about their diagnosis after perusing webmd.

It’s possible but idk that it’s particularly a good idea for most people. A lab and PT is not even worth the headaches and overhead. I had these dreams too as a fellow but once you get out into the real world it’s very different. Orthos have their hands in every crevice of every locale (even rural) and you won’t just have your pick of msk pts you can easily refer to your own PT. A patient with shoulder pain won’t come see you first. They may see you after ortho has referred them to their own PT, performed at least 3 injections and 2 scopes. Then when ortho has no other money making scheme to offer, they refer the exasperated patient to you so you can spend 50 minutes in clinic discussing the futility of most therapies for degenerative pathology and the numerous side effects of daily nsaid use. Medicare will generously pay you $170 for your time, while ortho pocketed about $8000.

Lab is almost a money loser at this point and even a lot of independent PCPs are getting rid of their in office labs. You’ll at most run a few CBCs and CMPs in your office lab which you’ll have to CLIA certify, and don’t forget you gotta pay for the phlebotomist. Everything else is a send out to commercial lab. You’ll be collecting next to nothing for these labs, and you won’t have economies of scale to make it profitable.

Infusions are done unless you somehow inherit hundreds of infusion patients from a retiring rheumatologist. This is like winning the lottery.
What kind of patients/ pathologies end up getting infusion the most/ as first line?

Seems like infusion is the cash cow in rheuma but it's not so common anymore these days due to injectables

What kind of patients/ pathologies end up getting infusion the most/ as first line?

Seems like infusion is the cash cow in rheuma but it's not so common anymore these days due to injectables
Almost none except the rare cases of vasculitis or myositis. Infusions are never first line for our bread and butter unless it’s a Medicare with supplement patient.

Last edited:

"I helped you to rule out serious autoimmune disease, which is what my specialty is for. You can see PMR for your mechanical problem..."

Here is most of the time what I do...... It is hard to manage patients' expectation as they should not see me to benign with

Hospitals in metro areas do not have a strict policy about my chart messages. Granted we will see what happens from the whole charging for online messages rule that Cleveland Clinic implemented. But as a general rule, your well being is not their concern.

I like inflammatory pathology too, but it’s rare. If you want to live in a nice area, you won’t be getting to see those patients. You will get the common complaints: chronic non inflammatory pain, fatigue, malaise, intermittent paresthesias and rashes, etc. These are the patients that will message you weekly expecting a lengthy response. They will take a ton of your time in clinic and may bring a huge stack of records and pictures. They will have a notebook which they have chronicled their symptoms and they expect you to listen to each and every entry. They may even be belligerent depending on how convinced they are about their diagnosis after perusing webmd.

You can call patient back, and bill it as a phone visit?

Different strokes for different folks. I’ve detailed my reasons for my distaste for inpatient work several times recently around here.

I’d rather work in a place where I set the schedule and agenda, visits have a set start/end time, my staff is around me to help chase drudgework, etc etc. I dread inpatient work. Most rheumatologists feel similarly.

Based on what I’ve seen you say here and elsewhere, I think you probably weren’t a good fit for the specialty (or perhaps even medicine altogether) - and that’s OK. But people reading this shouldn’t interpret that as a real indictment of modern rheumatology. Most rheumatologists (myself included) are quite happy with their jobs.

Again, you’re making it sound like rheumatology is some sort of gloom and doom, miserable specialty when I literally cannot think of any rheumatologist I’ve ever encountered who espouses this sentiment. It’s puzzling to me. SDN really is a weird place sometimes.

Last edited:
"I helped you to rule out serious autoimmune disease, which is what my specialty is for. You can see PMR for your mechanical problem..."

Here is most of the time what I do...... It is hard to manage patients' expectation as they should not see me to benign with
Exactly. It’s true - severe OA is one of the worst and most frustrating things to have to deal with as a rheumatologist - which is why I dump it to sports medicine immediately as soon as I know it’s not inflammatory.

Life’s too short. I don’t mind dealing with mild OA, but bad OA is just miserable to deal with, and the patients are always angry at you that you don’t have a magical solution for all of it. Sorry, I don’t deal with it (and OA isn’t rheumatology, either).

You can call patient back, and bill it as a phone visit?
You can’t bill it as a phone visit unless patient agrees to it. Most just expect it as an entitlement.

Different strokes for different folks. I’ve detailed my reasons for my distaste for inpatient work several times recently around here.

I’d rather work in a place where I set the schedule and agenda, visits have a set start/end time, my staff is around me to help chase drudgework, etc etc. I dread inpatient work. Most rheumatologists feel similarly.

Based on what I’ve seen you say here and elsewhere, I think you probably weren’t a good fit for the specialty (or perhaps even medicine altogether) - and that’s OK. But people reading this shouldn’t interpret that as a real indictment of modern rheumatology. Most rheumatologists (myself included) are quite happy with their jobs.

Again, you’re making it sound like rheumatology is some sort of gloom and doom, miserable specialty when I literally cannot think of any rheumatologist I’ve ever encountered who espouses this sentiment. It’s puzzling to me. SDN really is a weird place sometimes.
I definitely was not a fit for rheumatology. That’s what I get for taking the “easy” specialty with good hours. On that front, rheumatology has not disappointed.
Looking back, I should have done cards or heme onc as an IM resident. As a med student I should have done rads.

Though I would say I am not the only disgruntled rheumatologist. I know many others who tolerate it for the hours but wished they did something else.

Ultimately, it’s a fine field to do if you’re willing to live in rural areas. The hours are great and the pay is nothing to complain about.

However, in the city, pay is meh and the quality of the job is atrocious. Had I known the job is so much worse in metros I also would not have done rheum, since I find it difficult to live far from metro areas. I would much rather do heme onc making more than I do now while living in a more desirable location.

I have an ISTAT because that's the only way i can easily run ABGs (for certain pulmonary cases like OHS evaluation, COPD, and for CPET testing) in my office. I also did obtain their point of care chemistry panels for the occassional renal patient I see...

while it is helpful and helps me make point of care decisions on the PCO2, A-a gradients, K and acid base status... it is most definitely a money loser

but they if it helps me prevent a potential bad outcome then im all for losing a few bucks here and there

but ultimately i agree in office labwork is a big money loser and waste of time when the local lab can give next lab lab results on the basics CBC CMP and put preliminary results on their web portal as soonas those result. with i request them come pick up a lab result stat, they can giev me stat labs in 8 hours and put it on the portal.

while i still draw blood in the office (asking a patient to go to the commercial may as well translate to "don't come back i dont want your 99213") from my medical assistant phlebotomist, the drawing of blood (36415) makes no money and only helps to generate a second office visit.

99212/3 #1 - talk about issues evaluate. draw blood in office
99212/3 #2 - come back to review labwork and ree-evaluate the situation

Classic folder sign. Almost always FMS. I guess being a fellow I just deal with the mychart messages and unless it is a real thing that I am concerned about I just dont give them much leeway there. I hope as an attending to have some sort of policy if any complaint is new that would need either in-person or telehealth follow up, otherwise you are doing unpaid work. I hear you about location/pathology, that’s why I don’t mind going somewhere semi-rural.

Classic folder sign. Almost always FMS. I guess being a fellow I just deal with the mychart messages and unless it is a real thing that I am concerned about I just dont give them much leeway there. I hope as an attending to have some sort of policy if any complaint is new that would need either in-person or telehealth follow up, otherwise you are doing unpaid work. I hear you about location/pathology, that’s why I don’t mind going somewhere semi-rural.
if you run the private practice you can take care of these folder tasks (or delegate to your staff members ) and then use the 99491 and 99487 chronic complex care codes (if applicable to the task) and get paid for it.

follow up with a 99441-99443 telephone call on another date of service.

but if you work for a hospital system, do you really want to do all that extra work for a few measly RVUs?

The whole biologic obsession is mostly hot air to be honest. Not sure why people think biologics are so sexy… they’re not. Most of them are for like 3 indications and simply crowd the market instead of advancing the scope of the specialty. They’ve also been around for decades now so most aren’t even “new and exciting.” If anything, rheum is going the way of small molecule medications and not biologics. You know what are actually new and exciting biologics? The new diabetes drugs like Ozempic.

They’re also a pain in the a**. You have to hire staff just to run prior authorizations and fight the insurers. You need to do paperwork to get people on assistance programs - none of which would the clinic be reimbursed. So you’re basically expending resources to enrich the pharmaceuticals and save insurers money.

Can you consult for pharma? Kind of. It’s harder to break in than you think. Speaking opportunities are dwindling as well.

My view of rheum is that we are about to enter another dark ages. Infusions are on its death bed since every new drug that comes out is subcutaneous, oral, or lowly reimbursed. Even with discounts with bulk buying, the profit margins on most drugs are slim. Only two drugs are anything close to a “cash cow.” Ultrasounds are getting cut every year. Injections are whatever. There was the biologic renaissance in the early 2000s but it’s basically over. Research breakthroughs have slowed down again. I highly doubt we see anything meaningful for our bread and butter in the near future.
The way you describe rheumatology has surprising similarities to this one other IM sub-specialty.

I definitely was not a fit for rheumatology. That’s what I get for taking the “easy” specialty with good hours. On that front, rheumatology has not disappointed.
Looking back, I should have done cards or heme onc as an IM resident. As a med student I should have done rads.

Though I would say I am not the only disgruntled rheumatologist. I know many others who tolerate it for the hours but wished they did something else.

Ultimately, it’s a fine field to do if you’re willing to live in rural areas. The hours are great and the pay is nothing to complain about.

However, in the city, pay is meh and the quality of the job is atrocious. Had I known the job is so much worse in metros I also would not have done rheum, since I find it difficult to live far from metro areas. I would much rather do heme onc making more than I do now while living in a more desirable location.
What makes you think heme onc would be making more in metro areas? It seems most heme onc in metro areas are either academic (low pay) or in the 300k-400k range salary

@bronx43 @dozitgetchahi and others
Any input on how to assess multi-specialty PP offers? What type of information should I ask for/ be aware of? I have an interesting offer but as everything I have seen before is RVU-based from the employed positions, I don't really know what to look for in this other setting.

@bronx43 @dozitgetchahi and others
Any input on how to assess multi-specialty PP offers? What type of information should I ask for/ be aware of? I have an interesting offer but as everything I have seen before is RVU-based from the employed positions, I don't really know what to look for in this other setting.
The most important things for multispecialty PP is how the infusion profits are split, what kind of ancillary revenue they have, how this ancillary revenue is split, and what is the overall overhead.
My previous multispecialty group had another rheumatologist who had all the infusions and it was not split at all. So I ended up seeing a ton of new patients and had higher patient volumes, but made about 1/2 of this other rheumatologist.
We also had lab, XR, ultrasounds, echos, CTs, but no MRI. Ancillary profit was given back at a 90% clip to the ordering doc. However, as a rheumatologist, utilization of ancillaries was mediocre except lab (which is almost break even at this point).
Our total overhead was around 55-60%, which was far too high.

In essence, I wasn't making a high $ value per calculated RVU and it ended up being a worse deal than my current hospital employment.