Revised PCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Superman22

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hoping that someone has some info on an apparently revised PCAT. It seems to be more difficult tha those given in the past. I guess i am trying to figure out what might be out there that can help me prepare for this "new test. The other thing that concerns me is the possibility the test can go computerized. This would also make it more difficult since computerized usually means the test doesn't allow you to skip around. Does anyone know if this will happen for 2005-06 exam dates? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

jalba22 said:
Hoping that someone has some info on an apparently revised PCAT. It seems to be more difficult tha those given in the past. I guess i am trying to figure out what might be out there that can help me prepare for this "new test. The other thing that concerns me is the possibility the test can go computerized. This would also make it more difficult since computerized usually means the test doesn't allow you to skip around. Does anyone know if this will happen for 2005-06 exam dates? :confused:

only difference i saw from sample questions they have given on the PCAT website was the addition of putting right vocabs in the sentence. i dont knowa bout the computerized yet. it takes a lot of investment turn the whole system into computerized system. i thought PCAT was extremely easy (i can say this because i studied for DAT before) i dont know how hard the science questions might be but i believe it will stay in the same difficulty. just general concepts.

The 2 main differences in content of the test are that they are addinng calculus questions to replace some of the more elementary quantative questions and they are replacing the antonym questions with sentence completion questions in the vocab section. Hope this helps.
kirsten

i also heard that they were adding an essay section. is this true?

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you already taken the PCAT? If not, what resources are you going to use to prep for the new parts? Thanks :)

I will be taking the PCAT for the first time in November. I picked up Kaplans PCAT book and have been studying out of that for a few weeks. The book is very structured and informative, although some errors do linger throughout. I don't know how else I will be studying, since I have a full time job and only have a few hours to myself at night. Good luck with studying, I know I need it right now!

I think the Kaplan 2004 PCAT book is somewhat outdated. I bought it last November, when it first came out. While the materials is helpful, the book doesn't say anything about the newly revised PCAT. I don't think it mentions that there's an essay section on the PCAT. So, just keep in mind that there's also an essay section in the PCAT if you're using Kaplan book, because Kaplan doesn't tell you that.

Taking FutureRxGal's advice, I went to Harcourt's website to find that indeed there is an essay. However it mentions that there is no separate score for the "critical thinking" at this time. SO, now my question is what do they do with the essay section if it is not scored. Does anyone know? I just think it would be crazy that an essay is added if it is not scored.

so what exactly is the scoring system on the new pcats? Ive been confused with all the different ones I've been reading about.