Retook Step 2 CS Yesterday

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Surger_bees

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long story short. AMG student applying for match this year, I failed ICE back in december retook exam after about 1 month of studying. Some mistakes I made yesterday that stick out in my mind:
Station 1) forgot to counsel about diet and exercise with obese patient. and not sure if I did a complete PE for the MSK complaint.
Station 2) wrong diagnosis first and therefore didn't do a complete focused lung exam , but did a complete exam cardiac exam for what I thought the number one DDx was.
Station 3) didn't use proper medical term in HPI, just wrote down what the patient told me, forgot a couple manuevers for the exam, ended up running out of time with PN and only had 1 piece of support for my 3rd DDx
Station 4) forgot one PE manuever, and looking back put an unlikely DDx in my second DDx
Station 5) went well
Station 6) had a full neuro and pertinent cardiac exam to do with a slow talking patient so didn't get to check pinprick or temp sensation.
Station 7) used wrong terminology for diagnosis and missed one part of cardiac exam
Station 8) didn't counsel on safe sex practices despite the case warranting it
Station 9) Went okay
Station 10) forgot to check fremitus and ask a couple pertinent history questions
Station 11) made stupid ob/gyn hx blunders and missed some questions in the hx/what i included in my note, also used an incorrect medical term, just used what the patient stated in their history.
Station 12) should have checked their mental status and I forgot to add PE findings I performed into my note, also didn't counsel on underage drinking 1-2x/month

I do want to add that I feel like I got the DDx in most likely right in 9/12 of the cases, 2/12 were very iffy, and 1/12 I was a ***** and totally blanked on what the patient had.

Overall, I feel like compared to last time I did so much more in regards to grading requirements for ICE. I really tried to make sure I didn't neglect CIS either because I didn't want any surprises with that. but i can't help but think that there are things I'm not thinking about that I either did wrong or neglected or if there are parts of my DDx that didn't have enough supporting facts (most had 3-4). This is my last time to take this exam this year otherwise I have to postpone match for a year after interviewing at top programs in the country in a competitive specialty. Really wish I didn't have to wait 6 weeks for these results....

Obviously no one can know what the outcome will be until I get my score but any input from people would be great to try and overcome this spiraling depression induced by this CS exam :(

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Will you get results back before the programs submit their ranked order lists?

No unfortunately my scores will come out March 2nd. But what I've heard from deans and contact with the programs I interviewed at (gen surg) none at this point require CS for ranking, just that it be completed before the start of residency. Granted there are still 4 weeks before rank lists are actually due so I might get contacted by some, but right now I'm just trying to remain low key and hope things pass without any issue and I get that score on March 2nd and its a pass and I hopefully can just move on with my life.

I had bigger mistakes that that and passed without issue. Not even a borderline score. You'll be fine, though the wait does suck.