Retaking the NPTE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tenshi01

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just found out I failed the NPTE. I'm trying not to be too depressed about it and just get on with it. So I just had a question about retaking the exams. Would I need to re-apply for the jurisdiction and send them a new application (I'm taking it under PA) or just register with FSBPT for the exam?

Members don't see this ad.

So I just found out I failed the NPTE. I'm trying not to be too depressed about it and just get on with it. So I just had a question about retaking the exams. Would I need to re-apply for the jurisdiction and send them a new application (I'm taking it under PA) or just register with FSBPT for the exam?
we have the same situation here, and i emailed the jurisdiction where im seeking a license and they said that all i need to do is go to FSBPT website and register and pay for the exams and they will automatically approved my eligibility, mine is Colorado though, I recommend you give PA a message just to make sure

Hi,

I am sorry about your recent exam results. I took the test last week and have failed as well. I was wondering the same question about my jurisdiction so I reached out and will let you know when I find out.

How are you feeling about the results? I am feeling pretty bummed, but have realized there's nothing to do but keep our heads high and move forward. What book did you use to study / what was your plan? We are here for each other!!!

Hi,

I am sorry about your recent exam results. I took the test last week and have failed as well. I was wondering the same question about my jurisdiction so I reached out and will let you know when I find out.

How are you feeling about the results? I am feeling pretty bummed, but have realized there's nothing to do but keep our heads high and move forward. What book did you use to study / what was your plan? We are here for each other!!!
to tell you honestly, I've cried over and over until there were no tears coming out..but you're right we need to stand up and keep going and stay strong.. I've read O'Sullivan and Sieglman book and Goodman. now im planning to enroll in TEP, have you heard about it before?

Members don't see this ad :)
to tell you honestly, I've cried over and over until there were no tears coming out..but you're right we need to stand up and keep going and stay strong.. I've read O'Sullivan and Sieglman book and Goodman. now im planning to enroll in TEP, have you heard about it before?
im sorry to hear about you result too

I've heard good reviews about TEP, I was actually looking into it myself but debating whether or not I want to spend the money. I felt pretty good going into the exam and felt pretty prepared, I am just not the best at multiple choice tests. It really sucks and not fair, but I know we will get through it!! Did you graduate in May?

I've heard good reviews about TEP, I was actually looking into it myself but debating whether or not I want to spend the money. I felt pretty good going into the exam and felt pretty prepared, I am just not the best at multiple choice tests. It really sucks and not fair, but I know we will get through it!! Did you graduate in May?
me too im still debating whether I'll join or not..but I think I really need it considering that im out of practice for 3 years, i graduated 2010.. so i need to enhance my clinical decision making skills and I've heard that's the focus of TEP. how bout you? you've graduated last May?

what are the bad reviews that you've heard? can you tell me? just wanted to make sure if it is the right program before signing up

Hi,
Im very sorry to hear about your results, and I understand completely how u guys feel.... I took the test last year and didn't pass..... since then, its being difficult to regain confidence to try it again..... I have been studying since April and I'm actually enrolled on TEP..... I think that to find out if TEP will be good for you or not, dependents on what you need from a prep class... if you need to go back a little on the basics, since you said u are out of practice for a few years, if you need a type of lecture webinars, do assignments and get feedbacks, etc.... kinda like tutoring.... so, this is not TEP....in TEP, they assume that u already have all the basis (I only got this information after I enrolled), and u just need help with test taking strategies and studying the questions that u got wrong.... if, this is what u need so TEP is the right for you...
Hope it helped.....
How did u study? Did u read the whole Goodman and TherapyEd guide? How many times?

Last edited:
Hi,
Im very sorry to hear about your results, and I understand completely how u guys feel.... I took the test last year and didn't pass..... since then, its being difficult to regain confidence to try it again..... I have been studying since April and I'm actually enrolled on TEP..... I think that to find out if TEP will be good for you or not, dependents on what you need from a prep class... if you need to go back a little on the basics, since you said u are out of practice for a few years, if you need a type of lecture webinars, do assignments and get feedbacks, etc.... kinda like tutoring.... so, this is not TEP....in TEP, they assume that u already have all the basis (I only got this information after I enrolled), and u just need help with test taking strategies and studying the questions that u got wrong.... if, this is what u need so TEP is the right for you...
Hope it helped.....
How did u study? Did u read the whole Goodman and TherapyEd guide? How many times?
thank you for taking time to answer about TEP, i started reviewing January because i really need to focus on studying about the basic, i forgot all about it. i read therapyed study guide twice, goodman once and i even read pmr book review and my previous notes from my local boards because I'm a foreign-trained graduate. i studied like 6-8 hours a day for 7 days a week. so i thought I pretty had the basic knowledge to pass the July NPTE but unfortunately it's not enough because after taking it I guess i need to focus more on my clinical skills since it was 3 years ago since I worked as a PT at a hospital in my country. so you're saying that TEP is more of like test taking strategies and focusing on your weaknesses? is that right? will they help me enhance my clinical decision making skills also? with regards with the daily assignments, how was it? were they able to help you how to manage your time with your studies and your other obligations? because I'm a mom and i need to balance my time as well. thank you in advance

thank you for taking time to answer about TEP, i started reviewing January because i really need to focus on studying about the basic, i forgot all about it. i read therapyed study guide twice, goodman once and i even read pmr book review and my previous notes from my local boards because I'm a foreign-trained graduate. i studied like 6-8 hours a day for 7 days a week. so i thought I pretty had the basic knowledge to pass the July NPTE but unfortunately it's not enough because after taking it I guess i need to focus more on my clinical skills since it was 3 years ago since I worked as a PT at a hospital in my country. so you're saying that TEP is more of like test taking strategies and focusing on your weaknesses? is that right? will they help me enhance my clinical decision making skills also? with regards with the daily assignments, how was it? were they able to help you how to manage your time with your studies and your other obligations? because I'm a mom and i need to balance my time as well. thank you in advance
Hi,
I'm also foreign trained PT, not working in the field for the past 4 years, and have a 2 year old boy.....soooo, I understand your situation very well... about TEP, they will focus on test taking skills, and tell u how u should study and make your schedule based on your focus topics....there are assignments but they are not mandatory, so u can do or not, and there are webinars too so, if u think u have the knowledge but just need help with test taking skills... so, TEP will be good for you....

Hi,
I'm also foreign trained PT, not working in the field for the past 4 years, and have a 2 year old boy.....soooo, I understand your situation very well... about TEP, they will focus on test taking skills, and tell u how u should study and make your schedule based on your focus topics....there are assignments but they are not mandatory, so u can do or not, and there are webinars too so, if u think u have the knowledge but just need help with test taking skills... so, TEP will be good for you....
yeah we're pretty much the same..so how was the TEP program going for you? when are you planning to take the NPTE again?

yeah we're pretty much the same..so how was the TEP program going for you? when are you planning to take the NPTE again?

TEP was not what I needed....but since I'm enrolled on it, I have to try to make the most of it till October.... I'm also registered to take the test in October.....what do u think that happened with you? I mean, from what u told, the books u studied, time, etc...I would think that you woube doing pretty well in the test.....Also asking bc I have been studying basically just TherapyEd and SB, but a friend of mine just passed July's test and she told me that I should read the whole Goodman, and also Sullivan, Magee and Kisner.... so, I'm just in panic now, thinking of having to read all that so close to the test.....What is your plan now?
t

Members don't see this ad :)
TEP was not what I needed....but since I'm enrolled on it, I have to try to make the most of it till October.... I'm also registered to take the test in October.....what do u think that happened with you? I mean, from what u told, the books u studied, time, etc...I would think that you woube doing pretty well in the test.....Also asking bc I have been studying basically just TherapyEd and SB, but a friend of mine just passed July's test and she told me that I should read the whole Goodman, and also Sullivan, Magee and Kisner.... so, I'm just in panic now, thinking of having to read all that so close to the test.....What is your plan now?
t
to tell you honestly I thought so too..I am kinda sure i passed the exam because most of my unsure answers that I checked after the exam were correct, only few of them were wrong, those that I changed, only to find out that my first answers were correct.. so I had a good feeling about the result, and when I found out that I failed,my heart sank at the bottom. it really hurts. if you haven't read the goodman yet, you should start now, your friend is right you will learn a lot from it, if you think you are not doing good with special tests and thera ex then it is safe to say that you should read them as well (kisner and magee) but those popular ones were already at the therapyed study guide..as for me, I registered at the free webinar this aug 2, i got an invite from Miye, and maybe I'll go from there. i mean I already did book review cover to cover and still failed the exam, maybe i need to try another approach and maybe that's all that i need to pass the October exam because if i keep on doing what i did last time and take the exam this October and fail again, I don't know what else to do anymore

Reactions: 1 user
t
Honestly I can't think of a worse way to study than to read 3-4 thick textbooks. There's so much extraneous info that won't be tested on and IMO it encourages memorization of facts as opposed to clinical reasoning. Find a review book you like, read it, take the practice exams and purchase the PEAT. Don't waste your time reading 3,000 pages worth of textbooks

to tell you honestly I thought so too..I am kinda sure i passed the exam because most of my unsure answers that I checked after the exam were correct, only few of them were wrong, those that I changed, only to find out that my first answers were correct.. so I had a good feeling about the result, and when I found out that I failed,my heart sank at the bottom. it really hurts. if you haven't read the goodman yet, you should start now, your friend is right you will learn a lot from it, if you think you are not doing good with special tests and thera ex then it is safe to say that you should read them as well (kisner and magee) but those popular ones were already at the therapyed study guide..as for me, I registered at the free webinar this aug 2, i got an invite from Miye, and maybe I'll go from there. i mean I already did book review cover to cover and still failed the exam, maybe i need to try another approach and maybe that's all that i need to pass the October exam because if i keep on doing what i did last time and take the exam this October and fail again, I don't

Then, I guess, I will see you online on TEP... I'm there till October.... my name is Vania...

Last edited:
Honestly I can't think of a worse way to study than to read 3-4 thick textbooks. There's so much extraneous info that won't be tested on and IMO it encourages memorization of facts as opposed to clinical reasoning. Find a review book you like, read it, take the practice exams and purchase the PEAT. Don't waste your time reading 3,000 pages worth of textbooks
I see what u mean....and, at this point I don't know if I should start something totally new or just keep re-studying the things I already saw, and concentrate on taking practice tests, as I had planned before.... how did u study?

Then, I guess, I will see you online on TEP... I'm there till October.... my name is Vania...[/QUOTE]

to tell you honestly I thought so too..I am kinda sure i passed the exam because most of my unsure answers that I checked after the exam were correct, only few of them were wrong, those that I changed, only to find out that my first answers were correct.. so I had a good feeling about the result, and when I found out that I failed,my heart sank at the bottom. it really hurts. if you haven't read the goodman yet, you should start now, your friend is right you will learn a lot from it, if you think you are not doing good with special tests and thera ex then it is safe to say that you should read them as well (kisner and magee) but those popular ones were already at the therapyed study guide..as for me, I registered at the free webinar this aug 2, i got an invite from Miye, and maybe I'll go from there. i mean I already did book review cover to cover and still failed the exam, maybe i need to try another approach and maybe that's all that i need to pass the October exam because if i keep on doing what i did last time and take the exam this October and fail again, I don't know what else to do anymore

Then, I guess, I will see you online on TEP... I'm there till October.... my name is Vania...[/QUOTE]

Then, I guess, I will see you online on TEP... I'm there till October.... my name is Vania...
[/QUOTE]
im not sure if tep is what i need too right now.. maybe I'll just focus on taking lots of practice exams work on my weaknesses, then maybe I'll just purchase PEAT online 60 days before the exam..I think that's what im gonna do, just like my classmates did when they passed the exam

im not sure if tep is what i need too right now.. maybe I'll just focus on taking lots of practice exams work on my weaknesses, then maybe I'll just purchase PEAT online 60 days before the exam..I think that's what im gonna do, just like my classmates did when they passed the exam[/QUOTE]

Didn't u take PEAT this time? How were you doing in your practice tests? I wouldn't be in TEP either if I could go back in time...

Hi Sisi,
Thought I'd reach out to you. I wrote the following to another candidate who didn't fair so well on this past July's boards. I'm hoping it might give you some insight into how I approached boards.

"Sorry to hear about your results. I think regardless of pass/fail this whole process has been a humbling one. For me, the questions I got wrong were not for lack of knowledge but mostly because a) I misread the question or b) my line of reasoning was off. Instead of continuing to study notes I practiced writing down on paper key terms from the stem and further defining the answers (ie. answer a is static, answer b is dynamic, answer c doesn't address this key word in the stem etc). I did this when I took the PEAT practice and retired test. Doing so prevented me from being this passive participant to a more active one (if that makes any sense). At least for me, it helped me pass this July's boards.

Regarding questions that you're getting wrong, is it due to lack of knowledge (that was the case for a few questions for me), or was your line of reasoning off (a majority of the time for me)?

This was my first time taking the boards but I was seriously worried after taking the O'Sullivan tests. I had no idea how to improve my critical thinking skills so I ended up looking up stuff online and went to the bookstore to see if there was any exercise books to help with that. After doing some research on improving critical thinking skills I ended up making a set of rules for myself to remember:

1) summarize the stem
2) categorize the answers into commonalities OR re-define the answers into simpler terms
3) are two answers very similar? If yes, then I can probably* eliminate them
4) is an answer something that I'd rarely see in the clinic? If yes, then I can probably* eliminate that answer
5) are there two completely opposite answers? If yes, then one of them is *probably the correct answer

(*note that I said probably and not definitely)

Develop a strategy for yourself, a set of rules to follow, when answering questions.

For the practice questions I had already seen, I practiced the steps listed above despite knowing the correct answers already.

Keep doing that routine you set for yourself until it becomes a habit.

Keep your head up, you'll pass so long as your honest with yourself regarding where your deficits are and you address those deficits properly (if that makes any sense).

Feel free to PM me if I wasn't clear on anything. I tend to have a convoluted way of stating things. Lol."

Sent from my SM-G920V using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
im not sure if tep is what i need too right now.. maybe I'll just focus on taking lots of practice exams work on my weaknesses, then maybe I'll just purchase PEAT online 60 days before the exam..I think that's what im gonna do, just like my classmates did when they passed the exam

Didn't u take PEAT this time? How were you doing in your practice tests? I wouldn't be in TEP either if I could go back in time...[/QUOTE]
i didn't take PEAT last july boards, i only did lots of book review and the only practice exams i did at that are the ones on therapyed study guide, maybe that was my mistake, didn't have lots of practice to enhance my clinical skills. im doing well with the practice exams except for cardiovascular, neuromuscular and research, those are my weaknesses and those are the areas i need to work on right now.. and just like ridge215 said sometimes i also misread the questions and/or my reasoning is off. so i need to focus on finding the keyword and what the question really is asking in order to arrive at the right answer. sometimes I overthink things too so i need to work on that as well.

Hi Sisi,
Thought I'd reach out to you. I wrote the following to another candidate who didn't fair so well on this past July's boards. I'm hoping it might give you some insight into how I approached boards.

"Sorry to hear about your results. I think regardless of pass/fail this whole process has been a humbling one. For me, the questions I got wrong were not for lack of knowledge but mostly because a) I misread the question or b) my line of reasoning was off. Instead of continuing to study notes I practiced writing down on paper key terms from the stem and further defining the answers (ie. answer a is static, answer b is dynamic, answer c doesn't address this key word in the stem etc). I did this when I took the PEAT practice and retired test. Doing so prevented me from being this passive participant to a more active one (if that makes any sense). At least for me, it helped me pass this July's boards.

Regarding questions that you're getting wrong, is it due to lack of knowledge (that was the case for a few questions for me), or was your line of reasoning off (a majority of the time for me)?

This was my first time taking the boards but I was seriously worried after taking the O'Sullivan tests. I had no idea how to improve my critical thinking skills so I ended up looking up stuff online and went to the bookstore to see if there was any exercise books to help with that. After doing some research on improving critical thinking skills I ended up making a set of rules for myself to remember:

1) summarize the stem
2) categorize the answers into commonalities OR re-define the answers into simpler terms
3) are two answers very similar? If yes, then I can probably* eliminate them
4) is an answer something that I'd rarely see in the clinic? If yes, then I can probably* eliminate that answer
5) are there two completely opposite answers? If yes, then one of them is *probably the correct answer

(*note that I said probably and not definitely)

Develop a strategy for yourself, a set of rules to follow, when answering questions.

For the practice questions I had already seen, I practiced the steps listed above despite knowing the correct answers already.

Keep doing that routine you set for yourself until it becomes a habit.

Keep your head up, you'll pass so long as your honest with yourself regarding where your deficits are and you address those deficits properly (if that makes any sense).

Feel free to PM me if I wasn't clear on anything. I tend to have a convoluted way of stating things. Lol."

hi Ridge,
Thanks for taking the time to give me some pointers. you were right, sometimes i misread the questions to or my reasoning was off, or probably because some areas need a little bit of work especially those that im not really familiar with but have encountered on July boards. regarding with the practice exams, except for the online PEAT and therapyed O'Sully and Sieglman, do you know another guide that we can use? like you said you did some research about exercise books

Regarding study material, I think the O'Sullivan guide supplemented with your class notes should suffice. I have heard good things about TEP helping organize your study schedule and thought process to answering questions. So after taking an O'Sullivan practice test I went to the individual evaluation section and saw that my inductive and inferential reasoning skills were terrible compared to analysis, evaluation, and deduction. Seems kinda silly, but I started looking up things online that might help improve my inductive and inferential reasoning. Unfortunately, there's not much out there in terms of exercises that address those specific domains. But there's plenty of info about the nuances of critical reasoning itself. If anything, I think by looking up things on reasoning skills, it drove home the fact that I need to be an active participant when answering questions, not this passive robot picking an answer because it seems correct. This "research" helped me I make up a set of rules for myself when answering questions. I sound so corny right now. Lol. In any case, whatever approach you use to help improve your performance on boards, start by being brutally honest with yourself. After taking a practice test, not only would I use O'Sullivan's assessment to guide my studying but I would also keep track of questions I got wrong due to just pure lack of knowledge. A classmate told me she was getting 75% on the O'Sullivan practice tests. But it wasn't an accurate assessment because she had taken the exact same test a year ago when studying for our program's comprehensive exam. She was basically lying to herself and from what I hear she didn't pass. So again, be very honest and specific about the reasons why you didn't pass. And if you find yourself doing exactly the same kind of preparation you did for this past July boards, you need to do something different. If that's the case then maybe TEP will help change things up a bit. Therapy Ed also has a good two day boards review course. Fortunately, my program paid for it.

Regarding study material, I think the O'Sullivan guide supplemented with your class notes should suffice. I have heard good things about TEP helping organize your study schedule and thought process to answering questions. So after taking an O'Sullivan practice test I went to the individual evaluation section and saw that my inductive and inferential reasoning skills were terrible compared to analysis, evaluation, and deduction. Seems kinda silly, but I started looking up things online that might help improve my inductive and inferential reasoning. Unfortunately, there's not much out there in terms of exercises that address those specific domains. But there's plenty of info about the nuances of critical reasoning itself. If anything, I think by looking up things on reasoning skills, it drove home the fact that I need to be an active participant when answering questions, not this passive robot picking an answer because it seems correct. This "research" helped me I make up a set of rules for myself when answering questions. I sound so corny right now. Lol. In any case, whatever approach you use to help improve your performance on boards, start by being brutally honest with yourself. After taking a practice test, not only would I use O'Sullivan's assessment to guide my studying but I would also keep track of questions I got wrong due to just pure lack of knowledge. A classmate told me she was getting 75% on the O'Sullivan practice tests. But it wasn't an accurate assessment because she had taken the exact same test a year ago when studying for our program's comprehensive exam. She was basically lying to herself and from what I hear she didn't pass. So again, be very honest and specific about the reasons why you didn't pass. And if you find yourself doing exactly the same kind of preparation you did for this past July boards, you need to do something different. If that's the case then maybe TEP will help change things up a bit. Therapy Ed also has a good two day boards review course. Fortunately, my program paid for it.

Thank You. This is the best statement when it comes to preparation I've ever read !