Retaking biochem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

missorthopedicsurgeon

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just received a C- in my biochem class, and I was wondering if I should re-take it. Obviously, getting a bad grade in the first place wasn't ideal, but I was wondering if re-taking the same course would look better than being content with an awful grade. I totally overburdened myself this semester with 17 credits, being on exec board of two clubs, researching in two labs (one for biology and one for Spanish linguistics), playing a club sport, and balancing two jobs. Would med schools see all this as a valid excuse for retaking this class in the fall? I really thought the material was interesting; I just didn't make the proper time for it this semester. I haven't taken the MCAT yet, but my GPA after I get all my grades back should be a 3.55, and my science GPA is a 3.26. (I know that's bad for right now, but I have four semesters left during which I will be taking less credits and should be able to focus on saving my grades.) Also, I go to University of Michigan and took the 2nd hardest biochem out of 3 offered courses.

Members don't see this ad.

I just received a C- in my biochem class, and I was wondering if I should re-take it. Obviously, getting a bad grade in the first place wasn't ideal, but I was wondering if re-taking the same course would look better than being content with an awful grade. I totally overburdened myself this semester with 17 credits, being on exec board of two clubs, researching in two labs (one for biology and one for Spanish linguistics), playing a club sport, and balancing two jobs. Would med schools see all this as a valid excuse for retaking this class in the fall? I really thought the material was interesting; I just didn't make the proper time for it this semester. I haven't taken the MCAT yet, but my GPA after I get all my grades back should be a 3.55, and my science GPA is a 3.26. (I know that's bad for right now, but I have four semesters left during which I will be taking less credits and should be able to focus on saving my grades.) Also, I go to University of Michigan and took the 2nd hardest biochem out of 3 offered courses.
My initial thoughts:

By your own admission, your science GPA needs work (and you still need time to study for, and take the MCAT).

If you retake biochemistry, you would need to earn an "A" grade in the class. Is that your plan? Retaking 1 class to slightly improve your grade on a transcript will probably not have much of an effect on your GPA since you have already stated that you have only "four semesters left" at this time. Plus, if you retake biochemistry and earned a B+ grade or lower, the second time around, that would not be a positive outcome. It is advisable to do well in all of your remaining classes (excellent grades/upward trend) and do well on the MCAT.

As to your question about: "I totally overburdened myself this semester with 17 credits, being on exec board of two clubs, researching in two labs (one for biology and one for Spanish linguistics), playing a club sport, and balancing two jobs. Would med schools see all this as a valid excuse for retaking this class in the fall?"

Medical school will be even more time-consuming and much more challenging. No excuses, just saying. It is advisable to exercise good judgment and practice good time management skills. Do well in the rest of your classes and do well on the MCAT. You can do it. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user