Resignation notice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AcademicDoctor

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was informed that a notice period of 90 days is expected when resigning, however, I believe that this is more of an ethical expectation rather than a legal requirement. In my opinion, a notice period of 60 days should be sufficient. I would appreciate any advice on how to handle this process in a respectful and professional manner.

Members don't see this ad.

I was informed that a notice period of 90 days is expected when resigning, however, I believe that this is more of an ethical expectation rather than a legal requirement. In my opinion, a notice period of 60 days should be sufficient. I would appreciate any advice on how to handle this process in a respectful and professional manner.
What does your contract say? Mine says 90 so that’s the “legal requirement” for me. Whatever yours says will be the legal requirement for you. Whatever the number is, you agreed to it when you took the job.

It's in your contract.
That's what you have to follow.

My prior job was a 90 day notice.

My current is only 2 weeks.

Members don't see this ad :)
What does your contract say? Mine says 90 so that’s the “legal requirement” for me. Whatever yours says will be the legal requirement for you. Whatever the number is, you agreed to it when you took the job.
My contract says my contract is at “will” which means two weeks in my state.

So the chairman said that resignation with less than 90 days would be reported to the board.

My contract says my contract is at “will” which means two weeks in my state.
Well if that's what your contract says, you can show it to your chairman and tell him to pound sand.

You might want your attorney there when you did it, but that's your choice.