Residents who spend a lot of time on social media/out of town travel-tips for chores and tasks?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marsupial

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If your free time is crunched, say flying to see your wife a lot, when do you get all this other stuff done? Think managing a shopping return online, forms, arranging housecleaning, cleaning maintenance, researching which dentist to see, booking flights., shopping around for the best deal because no money, getting broken computer screen fixed.

With social media, I mean if you have a blog or presence or are trying to keep up with doctors online for career information or learning about opportunities.

Constructive tips only. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

There are 168 hours in a week. If you work 80 of them (and most residents don't, at least not every week), sleep 56 of them (8 hours a night), and commute 6 of them (30 minutes each way from work), you have 26 hours left for miscellaneous stuff. Now, this time includes eating whatever meals you have when you're not at work, showering, etc - but there's still enough time for running the errands you need to live in addition to the downtime you need to recover. Not to mention that the majority of residents have some downtime at work at least some days - using the 20 minutes you have here and there to look at flights is perfectly reasonable.

Will you be able to spend 3 hours a day on your blog? No. Not unless you want to be fired. But tens of thousands of people finish residencies every year and they managed to make through their time just by prioritizing the things they found important and moving through the rest.

Reactions: 3 users
As @Raryn notes, there is time left over during the week. The easy things are booking flights, and other activities that can done on-line or remotely. You can do these while waiting at a red light, during other small breaks during the day, etc.

The hard stuff is actually getting to the dentist during normal "business hours" (so find one that has Saturday appts or after hours) and if you own your own home, being home for a repairman when something goes wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
As @Raryn notes, there is time left over during the week. The easy things are booking flights, and other activities that can done on-line or remotely. You can do these while waiting at a red light, during other small breaks during the day, etc.

The hard stuff is actually getting to the dentist during normal "business hours" (so find one that has Saturday appts or after hours) and if you own your own home, being home for a repairman when something goes wrong.
It's nitpicky, but I wouldn't recommend doing anything like that stopped at a red light. It's illegal in some places, and as healthcare professionals even if it isn't illegal I don't think we can recommend it anyway because of safety concerns. Then again, I once injured someone while stopped at a red light (I wasn't distracted on the phone).

There are key lockboxes with a code that can sometimes solve the problem of letting someone into your home when you're not there, if they don't need you present while they do their work (and you're OK with them being there while you are not).

Make a point of getting to know your neighbors with your limited time off. I usually find the time to bake banana bread.

Ditto for building a support network in your residency - you'll find that everyone else has similar problems and many figure out ways to take turns getting animals to the vet, rides to/fro airport, etc etc.

For healthcare appts, often you can do something to work with your team or other residents to try to make them happen. I was often able to arrange the location in a way that slipping off to a provider was just a matter of someone taking the pager from me for a 2 quiet hours at the end of the day.

I called upon friends and family to do quite a bit of legwork - like finding/calling dentists, anything involving looking up Google or calling somewhere during business hours. Often you can give them access to your Amion or call schedule to help schedule. It's often easier to text with them through the day than for you to make a concerted effort about this.

Having a partner not in medicine with a more flexible work schedule (they could always get away to pick something up, mail something, make a phone call, etc) helped a ton, even though they were all the way across the country.

Sometimes my potty breaks would be just a tiny bit longer to send off texts or to make a quick call.

As far as social media, I am starting to have experience with how you can also have someone else do quite a bit to manage your online presence as well.

I wouldn't be above doing a few of the below:
Hire local neighbor kids to do some chores for you, like picking up dry cleaning for gas money.
Find a college pre-med to be your gopher in exchange for career advising and proofreading essays. Yes, you will still be trading time, but some of the issue with residency is more about when you do things, not how much time it takes. And they will often spend far more time helping you with this and that, than you will advising them, but many will find the exchange equitable, especially if you can hook them up with shadowing or some such. NOTE I am NOT suggesting that you hold out a letter of recommendation or help them in any unethical manner because they pick up your dry cleaning or feed your dog. There's a value to having an MD recommend that same kid for a dog-walking job. So leverage it to get some help from someone coming up in the world. Your friends/family could even be involved in the hunt for said gopher.

Amazon is your friend, ditto anywhere that delivers and finding places with extended hours near you. Also getting facile with skimming online reviews quickly.

My wife definedtely helped a lot with getting errands done.

So did doing residency in PM&R.

I know residents that raise multiple kids while residents.

There is time to return Amazon orders, catch up on blogs, etc. You just have to learn to be efficient with your time.

As far as cleaning your house? Forget about it. Wait till you have a hot date, then clean. Otherwise just do the dishes and make sure mold isn’t growing anywhere.

On a more serious note-just don’t buy things. The less you own, and the less space you rent, the less mess you can have. Seriously. Most people buy stuff to fill up their place. If you just rent a room in a house or own a studio, you can’t fit much in it. We owned a home, so I bought a canoe. I actually had two for a while.

They were a great purchase, and I’d do it again, so it’s not the best example. But you get the point.

Reactions: 1 users