Resident in one state, wish to practice in another. Need some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Windom Earle

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a resident currently PGY-2 in NJ who will be graduating in July 2025 if all goes well.

So in NJ I did not have to take Part 3 of my APMLE, but since I wish to work in Pennsylvania I will need it. So that's one matter to take care of. Is there anything else I would have to do in order to "transfer" from state to state?

If anyone has done this before or has any guidance please let me know thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You need a license in the state you want to practice. If you know you want to practice in Pennsylvania for sure then you need to look up how many years of residency training they require for licensure (Usually one. Sometimes two. Sometimes zero). Then see what other tests they require (jurisprudence exam, etc).

Reactions: 1 user
You just have to finish part 3 by the end of residency, and then apply for whatever state’s license you are seeking. Some states are kinda slow on processing apps, so do it in early year of the year you are set to graduate for residency.

As Southpod said, some stages require jurisprudence tests. You can find each states licensure board website and see what they require you send, etc.

One last pointer— send your paperwork certified mail. Texas “never received” my first application and I had to resubmit it. It delayed me a few weeks of waiting around.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I am a resident currently PGY-2 in NJ who will be graduating in July 2025 if all goes well.

So in NJ I did not have to take Part 3 of my APMLE, but since I wish to work in Pennsylvania I will need it. So that's one matter to take care of. Is there anything else I would have to do in order to "transfer" from state to state?

If anyone has done this before or has any guidance please let me know thanks!
I did APMLE part 3 my first year of residency in NJ. I got a NY license and a NJ license during my three year of residency but I ended practicing in Upstate NY. The forms were straight forward.

Last edited:
Take part 3 APMLE even if you plan on staying in NJ. Never limit yourself so much over such an easy test.

Some states are easy to get license and others are hard. Oklahoma fails most people and only gives the test once a year. Whatever state you want to work in learn all the procedures now and do it earlier than you need it. It will help in job applications to say you already have the state license.

Take part 3 APMLE even if you plan on staying in NJ. Never limit yourself so much over such an easy test.

Some states are easy to get license and others are hard. Oklahoma fails most people and only gives the test once a year. Whatever state you want to work in learn all the procedures now and do it earlier than you need it. It will help in job applications to say you already have the state license.
What are the licensing requirements in Oklahoma where they make you take an additional test? I heard in Puerto Rico they make you take a podiatry exam that's in person.

What are the licensing requirements in Oklahoma where they make you take an additional test? I heard in Puerto Rico they make you take a podiatry exam that's in person.

They give an oral exam that seems very subjective to me. I think it is done to limit competition in the state. I was asked "a female pt comes in but also mentions X complaints, what could be wrong with her and how would you manage?" My response of "not my expertise, send her to PCP for evaluation" must not have been good enough. I know the podiatry board has been sued for not giving licenses.

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users