Residency Restrictions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

densmore22

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm curious as to why some residency programs (specifically Palo Alto, CA-Kaiser/Stanford) has restrictions on who can extern there? Apparently it is only open to students from all the colleges except TUSPM and CPMS? What if I liked it there, but because I go to DMU, I can't even extern there? Doesn't make sense to me.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm curious as to why some residency programs (specifically Palo Alto, CA-Kaiser/Stanford) has restrictions on who can extern there? Apparently it is only open to students from all the colleges except TUSPM and CPMS? What if I liked it there, but because I go to DMU, I can't even extern there? Doesn't make sense to me.

That is strange. I'd call them and ask what's going on.

do you mean DVA- Palo Alto? or the Kaiser SF program? According to CASPRCRIP they take everyone from all schools

http://www.casprcrip.org/html/casprcrip/pdf/Dir_Pgs/0113.pdf

http://www.casprcrip.org/html/casprcrip/pdf/Dir_Pgs/0116.pdf

I got a question... when you graduate from a program that's listed as "DVA" do you get a degree that says "Department of Veteran Affairs" or a degree from their affiliated institutions? I know the DVA - Atlanta has rotations with Emory University Medical Students, but do the degree says "DVA - Atlanta" or "Emory University".

And if the degree does say something else, why isn't it called that initially? Does the DVA - Palo Alto program have a degree that says "Stanford University?" There's a few programs like this that I've wondered about. Is anyone an alumni from those residencies?

Members don't see this ad :)

I am assuming you are referring to the DVA Palo Alto since there is no Kaiser Permanente Medical Center in Palo Alto. I just took a look at the 2008 Clerkship Handbook and the DVA - Palo Alto Healthcare System externship program accepts students from ALL schools. There is no restriction. You can access the 2008 Clerkship Handbook at
http://www.casprcrip.org/html/clerkships/pdf/2008Handbook.pdf

I am assuming you are referring to the DVA Palo Alto since there is no Kaiser Permanente Medical Center in Palo Alto. I just took a look at the 2008 Clerkship Handbook and the DVA - Palo Alto Healthcare System externship program accepts students from ALL schools. There is no restriction. You can access the 2008 Clerkship Handbook at
http://www.casprcrip.org/html/clerkships/pdf/2008Handbook.pdf

DVA - Palo Alto Health Care System, Palo Alto
The 1034 bed JACHO accredited Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System facility serves the San Francisco Bay Area. The Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System's podiatric residency program was initiated in 1977. The current PM&S – 36 residency program includes clinical training in the Stanford University Health Care System – one of the largest and most prestigious health science centers in the region. The program is also affiliated with the Kaiser Permanente Santa Teresa Hospital and ten local hospitals and surgery centers.

Students from CSPM, NYCPM, TUSPM, SCPM, BUSPM and AZPOD colleges of podiatric medicine are eligible to apply to the student clerkship program.
Multiple month core programs are available to California College of Podiatric Medicine fourth year students. Completion of our clerkship program is not a requirement for residency interview and selection. Qualified third year students are also accepted for our clerkship program.

This comprehensive PM&S – 36 residency program provides medical and surgical training which prepares the resident for private, group or multi-specialty practice. Our residents are integrated with more than 200 allopathic residents during training at our facilities and Stanford University Hospital. Rotations include vascular surgery, anesthesiology, rheumatology, radiology, behavioral medicine, internal medicine, emergency medicine, pathology, general surgery, plastic surgery and research. The Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System residency program offers a superb clinical experience through multiple clinical and hospital settings.

I miss quoted in saying TUSPM students weren't eligible. But regardless, this was found by going to the CASPR directory on the AACPM website, clicking on the Palo Alto link, going to the bottom where it says further info and this is what I got. Maybe it's a mistake, but this is what's on there. I'm just curious as if it's accurate or not. I like that area and am thinking of at least doing an externship there my 4th year-if I'm allowed.

DVA - Palo Alto Health Care System, Palo Alto
The 1034 bed JACHO accredited Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System facility serves the San Francisco Bay Area. The Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System's podiatric residency program was initiated in 1977. The current PM&S – 36 residency program includes clinical training in the Stanford University Health Care System – one of the largest and most prestigious health science centers in the region. The program is also affiliated with the Kaiser Permanente Santa Teresa Hospital and ten local hospitals and surgery centers.

Students from CSPM, NYCPM, TUSPM, SCPM, BUSPM and AZPOD colleges of podiatric medicine are eligible to apply to the student clerkship program.
Multiple month core programs are available to California College of Podiatric Medicine fourth year students. Completion of our clerkship program is not a requirement for residency interview and selection. Qualified third year students are also accepted for our clerkship program.

This comprehensive PM&S – 36 residency program provides medical and surgical training which prepares the resident for private, group or multi-specialty practice. Our residents are integrated with more than 200 allopathic residents during training at our facilities and Stanford University Hospital. Rotations include vascular surgery, anesthesiology, rheumatology, radiology, behavioral medicine, internal medicine, emergency medicine, pathology, general surgery, plastic surgery and research. The Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System residency program offers a superb clinical experience through multiple clinical and hospital settings.

I miss quoted in saying TUSPM students weren't eligible. But regardless, this was found by going to the CASPR directory on the AACPM website, clicking on the Palo Alto link, going to the bottom where it says further info and this is what I got. Maybe it's a mistake, but this is what's on there. I'm just curious as if it's accurate or not. I like that area and am thinking of at least doing an externship there my 4th year-if I'm allowed.

It could be a mistake. The 2008 Clerkship Handbook does clearly state that DVA Palo Alto accepts students from CPMS for their externship program. As jonwill recommended, you can just contact the clerkship director, Dr. Jack Bois to clarify this matter.

It could be a mistake. The 2008 Clerkship Handbook does clearly state that DVA Palo Alto accepts students from CPMS for their externship program. As jonwill recommended, you can just contact the clerkship director, Dr. Jack Bois to clarify this matter.

Is a clerkship different from and externship or are they the same thing? I'm just going to shoot an email to Dr. Bois for clarification, just wondering if the terminology means what I think it does.

Is a clerkship different from and externship or are they the same thing? I'm just going to shoot an email to Dr. Bois for clarification, just wondering if the terminology means what I think it does.

Clerkship = Externship, but I think "clerkship" is the correct terminology. They used to be referred to as externships. I think the term was changed to be consistent with the rest of the medical community which refers to rotations as clerkships.

Clerkship = Externship, but I think "clerkship" is the correct terminology. They used to be referred to as externships. I think the term was changed to be consistent with the rest of the medical community which refers to rotations as clerkships.
Yep^

All clerkships that I know of will at least say that they'll accept students from all schools. Whether they will give serious residency spot consideration to all schools might be another story, but you don't know until you try. I applied for a couple clerkships which I've heard are pretty anti-Barry historically, but there's a first time for everything :laugh:

I'd just call the director; I'd bet it was just a mistake. I don't see why any program would want to exclude DMU :confused:

Yep^

All clerkships that I know of will at least say that they'll accept students from all schools. Whether they will give serious residency spot consideration to all schools might be another story, but you don't know until you try. I applied for a couple clerkships which I've heard are pretty anti-Barry historically, but there's a first time for everything :laugh:

I'd just call the director; I'd bet it was just a mistake. I don't see why any program would want to exclude DMU :confused:

the only program that I have heard of that is actually selective in students based on school is a program in Wisconsin - they will take students from any school except NYCPM. I am not sure why but it lists all schools except NYCPM.