Residency Ranking

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thisisstupid11

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
After ranking residency programs, on average do people match in their top 3? top 5? top 10? Just curious.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I matched my number one but I know people who matched further down their list or had to scramble

Out of curiosity, is it good practice to tell programs that you're my top (insert 5,3,2 or even 1)?

If you know your #1 program is it wise to only visit this program before CRIP or visit your top 2? 3? I feel you'd be misleading your #2 and #3 choice if you visit them but at the same time you need to increases your chances.

Any insight on these scenarios would be greatly appreciated!

Reactions: 1 user
Out of curiosity, is it good practice to tell programs that you're my top (insert 5,3,2 or even 1)?

If you know your #1 program is it wise to only visit this program before CRIP or visit your top 2? 3? I feel you'd be misleading your #2 and #3 choice if you visit them but at the same time you need to increases your chances.

My #1 called me right after my interview telling me I was their top choice, so I told them they were my number #1 as well. For other programs I just told them they were “one of my top programs”. I had the other three I interviewed with tell me if you rank us high you will match here and I just responded with “I think y’all have an amazing program and I really enjoyed my month with y’all you are definitely one of my top programs (I only interviewed at 4 so technically they are all top 5😉). As far as visiting goes, I did not revisit any programs prior to interviews. I was all over the country, so it would have been very hard to do so. I just texted a few residents letting them know my interest in the program prior to interviews. However, I do not think visiting your #2 or #3 would be misleading I think that is totally fine to do. My view may be a little skewed because after my month with the program I’ll be with it was pretty obvious I was going there.

If any students have any questions or would be interested in some of the recent students that just went through match starting an AMA thread I would be happy to answer and I am sure we could set that up with a few of us so y’all can get a few different view points.

Reactions: 6 users

You're thinking way too hard.

If you were realistic rankings wise and you worked hard at the place you were interested in- you'll know you landed your number 1 before match day even comes out.

Some name brand programs will always play the yield game no matter what. Their goal is to fill those spots with the highest quality students (according to their own subjective standards) they can. They'll tell you whatever it is you want to hear to do so. They'll call you and make you feel really really special.

Tons of politics involved. Both programs and students play the yield game. Don't be either of them.

Go to programs you're genuinely interested in. Go to programs you know you have a realistic shot at. Work your butt off. See if its a place that you'll fit in, and if they like you. Then rank according to what you want and value. There should be no reason you didn't land your top 3.

Not landing your top 1-3 is very dependent on the student. Maybe they weren't realistic. Maybe they tried to play the yield game and it shot them in the ass. Maybe they believed sweet nothings programs whispered to them or had a false sense of superiority during their clerkships. It happens and it sucks.

When programs gauge your interest- you need to be weary of what you are going to say. I only expressed very explicit interest in programs that I 1) trusted 2) were going to rank highly 3) knew I did well there during clerkships and fit in. There were 3 of them out of the 7 I ranked. I could be honest with them because I had nothing to lose. I knew where they stood, they knew my interest level and to some degree wanted me there. Every other program was met with a polite "Yes I ranked you (highly if so)." There were programs who knew I'd be a good fit but knew I didn't want to go there for other reasons notwithstanding. They were upfront about it to me.

Express interest in programs you know you have a shot at and are interested in. Explicitly telling them where they rank (especially if it is a 'brand name' program) only allows you to get screwed over- unless you KNOW they want you and you worked hard there.

Reactions: 4 users
You're thinking way too hard.

If you were realistic rankings wise and you worked hard at the place you were interested in- you'll know you landed your number 1 before match day even comes out.

Some name brand programs will always play the yield game no matter what. Their goal is to fill those spots with the highest quality students (according to their own subjective standards) they can. They'll tell you whatever it is you want to hear to do so. They'll call you and make you feel really really special.

Tons of politics involved. Both programs and students play the yield game. Don't be either of them.

Go to programs you're genuinely interested in. Go to programs you know you have a realistic shot at. Work your butt off. See if its a place that you'll fit in, and if they like you. Then rank according to what you want and value. There should be no reason you didn't land your top 3.

Not landing your top 1-3 is very dependent on the student. Maybe they weren't realistic. Maybe they tried to play the yield game and it shot them in the ass. Maybe they believed sweet nothings programs whispered to them or had a false sense of superiority during their clerkships. It happens and it sucks.

When programs gauge your interest- you need to be weary of what you are going to say. I only expressed very explicit interest in programs that I 1) trusted 2) were going to rank highly 3) knew I did well there during clerkships and fit in. There were 3 of them out of the 7 I ranked. I could be honest with them because I had nothing to lose. I knew where they stood, they knew my interest level and to some degree wanted me there. Every other program was met with a polite "Yes I ranked you (highly if so)." There were programs who knew I'd be a good fit but knew I didn't want to go there for other reasons notwithstanding. They were upfront about it to me.

Express interest in programs you know you have a shot at and are interested in. Explicitly telling them where they rank (especially if it is a 'brand name' program) only allows you to get screwed over- unless you KNOW they want you and you worked hard there.
Thank you for your insight. My only question now is this expression of interest, was this right before CRIPS because it's hard for me to have shown a program I'm interested when they were the 2nd program I rotated at for example and I haven't seen all the other programs yet being still a 3rd year.

So far, I've been hard working, polite, and have vibed well with each elective program that I've applied to. I've only applied to programs that I truly could see myself at (on paper). For the most part, each program I've visited has potential, but I'm waiting until later this year to make my decision once I've seen everything I need to see.

@MusicManMike
I only intend to do this if they truly are my #1. I've read enough of SDN and have some common sense to not do this :lol:

Thank you for your insight. My only question now is this expression of interest, was this right before CRIPS because it's hard for me to have shown a program I'm interested when they were the 2nd program I rotated at for example and I haven't seen all the other programs yet being still a 3rd year.

So far, I've been hard working, polite, and have vibed well with each elective program that I've applied to. I've only applied to programs that I truly could see myself at (on paper). For the most part, each program I've visited has potential, but I'm waiting until later this year to make my decision once I've seen everything I need to see.

@MusicManMike
I only intend to do this if they truly are my #1. I've read enough of SDN and have some common sense to not do this :lol:
I'd keep in touch with residents.

I don't like to bullsht or kiss ass. If I tell them something, they know I am being transparent.

If I'm interested in them and its been months since I've talked to the resident, I'll text them. Hey hope you're doing well. Very interested in your program still and am serious about coming here. You guys are still my top choice.

Reach out to the residents. Especially if you worked and connected well with them.

Reactions: 3 users
If any students have any questions or would be interested in some of the recent students that just went through match starting an AMA thread I would be happy to answer and I am sure we could set that up with a few of us so y’all can get a few different view points.

Thanks for doing the AMA; I made a thread. So if current or prospective students have a question, then please ask there. Thanks

Reactions: 2 users
Matched at my 1. I would say majority of the classmates I have spoken to did end up in their top 2-4.

This whole process confirmed to me how upper years called residency match a "game" lol. There is a lot to consider but couple pieces of advice would be do not bombard residents at programs with texts just to "keep in touch." They are all very busy and can tell real quick if you are full of BS. Usually at each program there may be 1 or 2 residents you really connect with/spend a lot of time with so keep up with them. There is no need to text the entire program ; just be socially aware.

After interviews were done, I did tell my #1 that I wanted to be there. I have heard different perspectives on that , but I wanted to make it known to them that they were my #1. And like many above have said, I would tell other programs "I am ranking you high" or "very high"

Reactions: 1 users
I'd keep in touch with residents.

I don't like to bullsht or kiss ass. If I tell them something, they know I am being transparent.

If I'm interested in them and its been months since I've talked to the resident, I'll text them. Hey hope you're doing well. Very interested in your program still and am serious about coming here. You guys are still my top choice.

Reach out to the residents. Especially if you worked and connected well with them.
I will second this. When I texted residents from my number 1 I was very direct and to the point letting them know they were my #1 and I absolutely wanted to be a resident there.

Reactions: 1 users