Residency questions.. help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

med2345

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently deciding between two schools and have a question regarding residencies as I feel this will be my deciding factor. I have a few questions.

1. I was told by one school that residencies are much more level and there aren't really good or bad residencies anymore regarding pod as all of the sub-par residencies were trashed a few years ago. Is this true?

2. Do residencies look at certain GPA from some schools as a different weight from other schools?

3. While doing 3rd and 4th year rotations do hospitals offer several of the rotations? Can you string together a few of the rotations in a row at the same hospital or state? (To avoid moving much or give heavy preference to where you want to practice?)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
1. More level? Yes. All sub-par programs "trashed?" No.

2. Yes and no. We asked for class rank so GPA differences between certain schools became somewhat obvious. We took into account that a 3.9 at one school was probably more in line with a 3.5 elsewhere. Ultimately the month clerkship carried the most weight with us.

3. Some schools have core rotations where you'll spend several months in the same location (though not all have you there consecutive months). Also, most metro areas have multiple residency programs. However, only the former has anything to do with the school you choose. Doing several podiatry clerkships (or all of them) in one state is pretty much an option regardless of which school you go to.

Reactions: 1 users
1. More level? Yes. All sub-par programs "trashed?" No.

2. Yes and no. We asked for class rank so GPA differences between certain schools became somewhat obvious. We took into account that a 3.9 at one school was probably more in line with a 3.5 elsewhere. Ultimately the month clerkship carried the most weight with us.

3. Some schools have core rotations where you'll spend several months in the same location (though not all have you there consecutive months). Also, most metro areas have multiple residency programs. However, only the former has anything to do with the school you choose. Doing several podiatry clerkships (or all of them) in one state is pretty much an option regardless of which school you go to.

Well I saw that DMU was basically the only school where only one residency resides in the state (I think one or very few). So in regards to #3 that was my concern. Thank you very much for the response though I really appreciate it.

DMU is one of the only schools that doesn’t force you to spend any time during your 4th year at the school or at local clinics/hospitals/clerkships. The core rotation at DMU can be done at hospitals with residency programs across the country and the rest of 4th year you are free to go wherever you’d like.

Reactions: 1 users