Residency Programs with Probationary Status

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JW4Gdud

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a fourth year medical student looking for advises on apply residency for 2022. There are few residency programs on probation. Should I avoid applying to those residency programs on probation? Should I rank these programs lower if I apply? Is there anything to watch out if match to an residency program on probation?

Members don't see this ad.

Short story? If you can, avoid programs on probation. They are there because of deficiencies. These programs either improve, or go out of business. If you are there, and the program loses certification, you become an "orphan resident", and have to find a new program. This can be QUITE stressful.

Reactions: 1 user
Short story? If you can, avoid programs on probation. They are there because of deficiencies. These programs either improve, or go out of business. If you are there, and the program loses certification, you become an "orphan resident", and have to find a new program. This can be QUITE stressful.
Thanks for your very good advice.

Reactions: 1 user