Residency prestige in private practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ItAintEasyBeingCheesy

big cheese
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does prestige of residency matter at all when it comes to finding a job in private practice? Can it impact salary or partnership?

Members don't see this ad.

Does prestige of residency matter at all when it comes to finding a job in private practice? Can it impact salary or partnership?

It can go either way.

The more prestigious the residency, the potentially larger network you have to call upon when it comes time to find a job. Knowing someone is always helpful but I'm not sure it results in a meaningful bump in salary or faster track to partnership.

I have also found the more prestigious the residency, the more they often turn their noses at private practice and try to steer their residents toward academics.

For many of us, it's a nice consideration but we are happy to match where we can get in.

For those who have the luxury to pick and choose where they do residency, I would recommend trying to balance honestly assessing what your career plans are (which are obviously subject to change when you are trying to decide this as a M4), picking the best possible residency program you can (with the information you have on hand at that moment), and picking the residency program in a location where you want to be.

Reactions: 2 users